2017 OHL Draft

Rephockey

Apr 27, 2015
There are still two years until the 2017 OHL draft. People say that Nicholas Porco is the top player from the North, Graeme Clark from the east and Jack Hughes from Toronto area. Are these some top prospects going into the draft?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I've heard that G. Clark is a beast. He's 2017 ohl eligible unless he gets eps next season but id doubt that

Knights 2000

Jun 14, 2015
2001, TOP 5
1)-#86 Marlies 2000- J Hughes F (01 best skill overall) now with the Rebels 2000
2)-#4 Rebels 2000- A Aguanno D (full package) now with Rebels 2000
3)-#89 Marlies 2001- D D'Amico F (sniper) now with the Marlies 01
4) #12 Ott Sens 2001 -G Clarke F (sniper) now with Marlies 2000
5) #61 Titans 2001- L Henault D (full package) now with Marlies 2001

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
2001, TOP 5
1)-#86 Marlies 2000- J Hughes F (01 best skill overall) now with the Rebels 2000
2)-#4 Rebels 2000- A Aguanno D (full package) now with Rebels 2000
3)-#89 Marlies 2001- D D'Amico F (sniper) now with the Marlies 01
4) #12 Ott Sens 2001 -G Clarke F (sniper) now with Marlies 2000
5) #61 Titans 2001- L Henault D (full package) now with Marlies 2001

Anyone have any info on Anthony Aguanno? I heard kids a beast. That's all i know he doesnt have a elite prospects profile or anything. Just curious to hear more about him. I read he could be better than most 2000 born defenseman.

Last edited:

Red123

Nov 13, 2015
Top 01 D

From the Bantam games I have seen this year, the Rebels have solid 3-4 D group. Be interesting to see where AA ends up next year and if he goes to that group. The Reps also have 2 big D boys. The Marlies have 1 huge boy. The VK have 2 smaller but fast and skilled defence man.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
There are still two years until the 2017 OHL draft. People say that Nicholas Porco is the top player from the North, Graeme Clark from the east and Jack Hughes from Toronto area. Are these some top prospects going into the draft?

Now that we're in December, this is still accurate despite the fact that Clarke is now in Toronto with the MM Marlboros while Porco has also moved to the GTHL to play with the Vaughan Kings 01 team. At this point both would safely project as top-10 players in 2017.

Hughes is the top talent in the 01 age group, it will just be a matter of whether or not he pursues the OHL route or elects to follow the NCAA path like his brother.

From the Bantam games I have seen this year, the Rebels have solid 3-4 D group. Be interesting to see where AA ends up next year and if he goes to that group. The Reps also have 2 big D boys. The Marlies have 1 huge boy. The VK have 2 smaller but fast and skilled defence man.

For those familiar with Bantam, this is a very intriguing question. The Rebels have four very high-end D and Kowara is no slouch either. Aguanno, at this point, might not factor into the Rebels' top-4 for next year so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him venture elsewhere where he has more of an opportunity to play in all situations.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Did Hughes apply for ES ? if so, when would he find out if granted?

It's generally pretty hush-hush, but it sounds like he won't be applying for exceptional status. If that's true, it makes for an interesting case next year as he will have definitely out-grown the MM level and a year there would be fairly redundant.

It would be interesting to see if the USNTDP considers the possibility of having him go to Plymouth to play as a full-time 15-year-old. It hasn't been done in some time (the last was Phil McRae, I believe) but it could be an interesting possibility if that's something the NTDP looks at.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
It's generally pretty hush-hush, but it sounds like he won't be applying for exceptional status. If that's true, it makes for an interesting case next year as he will have definitely out-grown the MM level and a year there would be fairly redundant.

It would be interesting to see if the USNTDP considers the possibility of having him go to Plymouth to play as a full-time 15-year-old. It hasn't been done in some time (the last was Phil McRae, I believe) but it could be an interesting possibility if that's something the NTDP looks at.

Exceptional Status deadline has already passed. Hughes applied.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
If anyone here has a membership to scoutingnews.com and woukdnt minding sending me the Alex Turcotte interview from the other day---itd be greatly appreciated!

2017OHL

Jan 2, 2016
I've seen almost 50 Bantam AAA (majority ETA/GTHL) games this year with no ties to any team, I've seen most teams in the GTA area at least once with a few exceptions. Here's a couple players who have stood out to me (in no particular order, and based on limited viewings)

Jack Hughes - 00 Rebels
Cody Morgan - JRC
Daniel D'Amico - Marlies
Phillip Tomasino - Rebels
Case Mccarthy - Rebels (BC Commit)
Eric Ciccolini - Vaughan
Mitchell Russell - Barrie
Alex Newhook - York Simcoe
Connor McMichael - Ajax Pickering
Christian De Giorgis - Marlies

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
I've seen almost 50 Bantam AAA (majority ETA/GTHL) games this year with no ties to any team, I've seen most teams in the GTA area at least once with a few exceptions. Here's a couple players who have stood out to me (in no particular order, and based on limited viewings)

Jack Hughes - 00 Rebels
Cody Morgan - JRC
Daniel D'Amico - Marlies
Phillip Tomasino - Rebels
Case Mccarthy - Rebels (BC Commit)
Eric Ciccolini - Vaughan
Mitchell Russell - Barrie
Alex Newhook - York Simcoe
Connor McMichael - Ajax Pickering
Christian De Giorgis - Marlies

We will be releasing our first Top 20 to subscribers (top 10 for public) after this weekend's Silver Stick followed by a mid-term Top 100 shortly afterwards.

You've brought up a number of good names there as there are several top 40 players on our list in that grouping.

Unlike the '00 age group, the '01s are a strong group up front but leave a bit to be desired on defense right now. It seems to be the inverse in the US where the defensive group is quite strong while the forwards are tracking a bit behind at this point, relatively speaking.

PensFan1

Jan 5, 2016
With Canada's showing at the World Jrs, goaltending seems to be a big problem.

Any goalies that stand out yet for 2017 OHL draft?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
With Canada's showing at the World Jrs, goaltending seems to be a big problem.

Any goalies that stand out yet for 2017 OHL draft?

Evaluating goaltenders in Bantam is a difficult proposition but it doesn't appear to be anything more than an average crop. Right now the two leading the way are probably Ryan Dugas (Mississauga Reps) and Matt Dunsmoor (Vaughan Kings) but you can't really say there's a surefire top-40 calibre goaltender at this point.

It is a strong year for goaltending in the US and it starts at the top with Spencer Knight (Mid-Fairfield) who is a Boston College commit that might be the most impressive Bantam-aged goaltender to come around in a long, long time. He is part of the QMJHL draft territory, however, so he won't factor into the OHL Draft conversation.

Dellraye

Jan 6, 2016
Originally Posted by 2017OHL View Post

Obviously you have not seen enough games.....you missed the top 3D on the Marlies:

E. Yelle
M. Hill
T. Amaral

The rest of the Rebels top D:

D. Penman
M. Vukojevic
A. Kowara
E. Brand

The Reps D:

B. Constantinou
Z. Wright
L. Ross

Along with L. Rowe and the best 01 FW in the age group J. Rees

As for goalies you missed :eek::eek::eek::eek:i from the Titans and slaven from the Reps

You need to go to more games

2017OHL

Jan 2, 2016
Obviously you have not seen enough games.....you missed the top 3D on the Marlies:

E. Yelle
M. Hill
T. Amaral

The rest of the Rebels top D:

D. Penman
M. Vukojevic
A. Kowara
E. Brand

The Reps D:

B. Constantinou
Z. Wright
L. Ross

Along with L. Rowe and the best 01 FW in the age group J. Rees

As for goalies you missed :eek::eek::eek::eek:i from the Titans and slaven from the Reps

You need to go to more games

I didn't post those names looking for feedback, nor did I post them as if they were rankings. I also clearly stated I have only seen some players in limited viewings. I'm not a professional scout or have any ties to a league/organization, just a casual objective observer.

- I was impressed by Amaral when I've seen the Marlies twice, Hill and Yelle both stood out but I noticed De Giorgis more thats all.

- Of those Rebels D you mentioned, the only other player who stood out to me was Vukojevic (3 viewings)

- I've only had a chance to catch half of a Reps game, I agree Constantinou looked good, as did Rees and Rowe however having only seen them in a limited amount of time I didn't think to add them.

- I don't rank goalies because I don't have the technical knowledge to pick up on intricacies of the position. With that being said, I did see :eek::eek::eek::eek:i play very well in a game against the Rebels.

Thanks for your suggestion that I "need to go to more games", but I'm happy with what I've seen so far and plan to see the rest of the year ;)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Is Jack Hughes the younger brother of Quinn Hughes of the US under 17's?

If the NTDP doesn't grab him I can see one playing for the US and the other for Canada. :laugh:

Not unheard of but weird non the less.

Eliteprospects has both listed as dual citizens.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Is Jack Hughes the younger brother of Quinn Hughes of the US under 17's?

If the NTDP doesn't grab him I can see one playing for the US and the other for Canada. :laugh:

Not unheard of but weird non the less.

Eliteprospects has both listed as dual citizens.

Yup, Jack is his younger brother. There is also a third sibling, Luke, who plays for the '03 Marlboros.

Both Jack and Quinn are dual citizens and I believe that Luke is as well, so all three of them have options when it comes to their international declarations. Quinn, although very likely to see through his Team USA commitment, could still technically deviate as he has yet to play in an official IIHF event.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
With the Silver Stick having come and gone, we've released our initial top-20 list (free top-10).

The draft is shaping up to have quite a bit of balance between forwards and defenseman, although the quality of D in the US is noticably ahead of Ontario at this point when it comes to high-end players.

Keep in mind that Warren is a Harvard commit while McCarthy has committed to Boston University. Our rankings are independent of NCAA vs OHL biases, however.

1. LC Jack Hughes (Mississauga Rebels '00 - GTHL)
2. LD Marshall Warren (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
3. RD Case McCarthy (Mississauga Rebels '01 - GTHL)
4. RC John Farinacci (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
5. LC Jamieson Rees (Mississsauga Reps '01 - GTHL)
6. LD Davis Pennington (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
7. LC Ryan Campbell (Cambridge Hawks '01 - Alliance)
8. RD Andrew Perrott (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
9. LW Andrew Horsley (Jr. Canadiens '01 - GTHL)
10. RW Graeme Clarke (Toronto Marlboros '00 - GTHL)

Last edited:

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
I know it's really early but, top four guys are American? Wow

It is, although I wouldn't expect too much change at the top. Hughes and Warren are pretty well entrenched there and unless McCarthy hits a plateau, he should be pretty safe as well.

Rees and Farinacci could be interchangable for some so there could be some movement there. If Rees hits a little growth spurt that will surely be helpful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad