2017 OHL Draft

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
A kid swearing after missing an open net is one thing.

A kid skating out at people, including officials, launching multiple F-bombs at them and subsequently having a mini-meltdown is extremely concerning if you're scouting a goaltender. Composure is kind of a big deal.

Agreed. Did not have much context on the situation. I do not doubt that you (and other parents) witnessed the meltdown. When ranking two goalies and one appears more composed than the other, it would only make sense to rank the composed goalie higher.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I've left the 2000 draft alone - I focused my energies on 01 and 02 kids this past season.

As far as the 2001, here goes. As always, I tend to just pick a few names out.

Hayden Fowler is a great great - converted from defenceman to forward, he's got a great understanding at both ends of the ice and plays a 200 ft. game. Solid skater, and has a very set of offensive tools.

Robert Calisti may be one of, if not the best, skating defenceman in the draft. Has amazing edges, and skates like he's in a rocking chair. Prototypical puck rusher, but can skate himself into trouble from time to time.

Johnny Beecher has top ten talent who brings it often enough to be a fifth round pick. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. When he's off, he's got no motor and awful body language. When he decides to play, he's got separation speed and a great shot. Can get tunnel vision though, doesn't use his linemates.

Cole Mackay is an interesting pick. When he was playing on a line with McCombs, he was an effective scoring line forward. When he wasn't (McCombs injured a good chunk of the year), he was a highly replaceable part who at times was overwhelmed.

Alex Johnston is a high-energy guy, who I don't think has a high ceiling at the OHL level. He'll get some points, but it'll be his work ethic that I think will forge himself a potential role as a bottom-six winger.

Mason Dreger (yes, that is Darren's son) is a two-way centreman, and had a good Silver Stick - best games I saw him play were in his home arena. That said, I'm uncertain of his ceiling outside of that as a 13/14 forward, and have heard he's likely going the collegiate route.

Zack McMahon is a solid two-way defender who would have gone higher if it weren't for his size. He's got skill, but can play a soft game and get exposed in his own zone. Crisp puck movement on the PP was a strong asset during viewings.

Fowler will be a solid OHler but he has NEVER been a defencemen. I have coached him and watched him since novice.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Many thought Flint would have trouble getting prospects to report. That no longer seems to be the case. Last year, G.M. George Burnett got Flint's 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick to report and this year, so far, G.M. Barclay Branch has got 1st round pick, Ethan Keppen to report.

Great turnaround from Flint's first year with the unusual moves by Firebird's owner Rolf Nielsen. That first year, Ryan McCleod didn't report only because he wanted to play with his brother in Mississauga. Nothing about Flint. I think Flint's unique hockey background, with over 40 years in the IHL/UHL and their fan base has really helped turn things around and with the OHL's guidance, is becoming a very viable OHL city.

Last edited:

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Many thought Flint would have trouble getting prospects to report. That is no longer seems to be the case. Last year, G.M. George Burnett got Flint's 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick to report and this year, so far, G.M. Barclay Branch has got 1st round pick, Ethan Keppen to report.

Great turnaround from Flint's first year with the unusual moves by Firebird's owner Rolf Nielsen. That first year, Ryan McCleod didn't report only because he wanted to play with his brother in Mississauga. Nothing about Flint. I think Flint's unique hockey background, with over 40 years in the IHL/UHL and their fan base has really helped turn things around and with the OHL's guidance, is becoming a very viable OHL city.
love it

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Many thought Flint would have trouble getting prospects to report. That no longer seems to be the case. Last year, G.M. George Burnett got Flint's 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick to report and this year, so far, G.M. Barclay Branch has got 1st round pick, Ethan Keppen to report.

Just imagine if we hadn't lost that Top 5 pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->