2017 OHL Draft

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
It is, although I wouldn't expect too much change at the top. Hughes and Warren are pretty well entrenched there and unless McCarthy hits a plateau, he should be pretty safe as well.

Rees and Farinacci could be interchangable for some so there could be some movement there. If Rees hits a little growth spurt that will surely be helpful.

Interesting. Also, what's your website?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With the Silver Stick having come and gone, we've released our initial top-20 list (free top-10).

The draft is shaping up to have quite a bit of balance between forwards and defenseman, although the quality of D in the US is noticably ahead of Ontario at this point when it comes to high-end players.

Keep in mind that Warren is a Harvard commit while McCarthy has committed to Boston University. Our rankings are independent of NCAA vs OHL biases, however.

1. LC Jack Hughes (Mississauga Rebels '00 - GTHL)
2. LD Marshall Warren (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
3. RD Case McCarthy (Mississauga Rebels '01 - GTHL)
4. RC John Farinacci (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
5. LC Jamieson Rees (Mississsauga Reps '01 - GTHL)
6. LD Davis Pennington (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
7. LC Ryan Campbell (Cambridge Hawks '01 - Alliance)
8. RD Andrew Perrott (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
9. LW Andrew Horsley (Jr. Canadiens '01 - GTHL)
10. RW Graeme Clarke (Toronto Marlboros '00 - GTHL)

Nice list. If your ever at the rink and minor bantam JRC team is playing go out of your way and watch Aydin Parekh on D, I think #80. Poised, advanced thinker and vision off the charts, plays serious and smart and has all these little things he does at an advanced level. First time I saw him play a few months ago, I was so impressed with his game. Imo, he could fill in as an AP @ minor midget right now and impress.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Nice list. If your ever at the rink and minor bantam JRC team is playing go out of your way and watch Aydin Parekh on D, I think #80. Poised, advanced thinker and vision off the charts, plays serious and smart and has all these little things he does at an advanced level. First time I saw him play a few months ago, I was so impressed with his game. Imo, he could fill in as an AP @ minor midget right now and impress.

Will do! Outside of a few 02's playing up in Ontario (Tullio, Perfetti, Morrison) it seems like most of the players made a decision to stick with their age group so I've really only seen the odd underager playing in an AP situation.

It's a little bit of a different story in the US where some pretty high-end kids are playing up with the 01's (Smilanic, Gaffney, Keane, Stranges).

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
Watched the jr Knights and Rebels at the Whitby silver stick. Atleast 7-10 draft prospects on each team respectively, great high intensity game. McCarthy on the rebels with 2G, stand out preformance,

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Also-curious if anyone has seen Joshua Barnes from EOW? He's an 02

Haven't really seen much of the 02's at all, but I know EOW does have a very strong team. Unlike the US, it seems like all of the high-end Ontario players stayed with their age group rather than playing up.

Watched the jr Knights and Rebels at the Whitby silver stick. Atleast 7-10 draft prospects on each team respectively, great high intensity game. McCarthy on the rebels with 2G, stand out preformance,

Are you referencing a game where McCarthy was playing up with the 00's? Just checking as Whitby most certainly doesn't have the Bantam Silver Stick ;)

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
my bad I was referring to the Marlies holliday classic in Toronto in late december. 2001 tournament.

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
Also, don't know alot about the Jr Knight team for 2001, but they looked quite strong against a great Rebels team. Anyone know any standouts on this team?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Also, don't know alot about the Jr Knight team for 2001, but they looked quite strong against a great Rebels team. Anyone know any standouts on this team?

From a prospects standpoint, they're very forward-oriented as their defense lacks bonafide next-level talent at this point.

Up front, Aidan Prueter and Ryan Suzuki will be two of the first players off the board from the Alliance while they have some nice complimentary players with guys like Bryce Lewis and Liam Van Loon.

They actually play quite well as a cohesive team-unit so even though they might not have a glut of high-end players at every position like some of the GTHL teams, they manage to be very competitive against any opponent and will be a tough out in any tournament.

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
Okay thanks. ive also noticed Waterloo and Cambridge as very good teams coming out of the alliance. Still not up to the talent levels of teams like the reps and rebels, but certainly teams to keep an eye on.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Okay thanks. ive also noticed Waterloo and Cambridge as very good teams coming out of the alliance. Still not up to the talent levels of teams like the reps and rebels, but certainly teams to keep an eye on.

Yup. London, Cambridge, and Waterloo are clearly the top three teams in the Alliance and there's a substantial gap after that. All three of them are fairly interchangible depending on the day, but clearly capable of giving any team in the province a solid game.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Aguanno, at this point, should be considered a top-5 prospect going into next year. Arguably MR most reliable all-around defenseman playing against 2000 born players

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Aguanno, at this point, should be considered a top-5 prospect going into next year. Arguably MR most reliable all-around defenseman playing against 2000 born players

He'll certainly be an interesting player to monitor next year. He's near the top of our charts in compete level and physicality for a defenseman, but his size and skating ability are two variables that will determine a lot about his potential at the next level and the type of role he projects towards.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Also-curious if anyone has seen Joshua Barnes from EOW? He's an 02

Barnes has missed time with an injury this year, but he's easily the #1 guy from Ottawa for the 02s. I doubt he gets exceptional status though (just because of the Sean Day debacle), so we'll have to wait until 2018. The top 2017 Ottawa prospect moved to Toronto (Graeme Clarke), so keep an eye out for Simon Mack (UC Cyclones) and Connor Dobson (Ottawa 67's), both D men.

pucksniper

Jan 24, 2016
With the Silver Stick having come and gone, we've released our initial top-20 list (free top-10).

The draft is shaping up to have quite a bit of balance between forwards and defenseman, although the quality of D in the US is noticably ahead of Ontario at this point when it comes to high-end players.

Keep in mind that Warren is a Harvard commit while McCarthy has committed to Boston University. Our rankings are independent of NCAA vs OHL biases, however.

1. LC Jack Hughes (Mississauga Rebels '00 - GTHL)
2. LD Marshall Warren (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
3. RD Case McCarthy (Mississauga Rebels '01 - GTHL)
4. RC John Farinacci (New Jersey Colonials '01 - AYHL)
5. LC Jamieson Rees (Mississsauga Reps '01 - GTHL)
6. LD Davis Pennington (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
7. LC Ryan Campbell (Cambridge Hawks '01 - Alliance)
8. RD Andrew Perrott (Belle Tire '01 - Tier 1)
9. LW Andrew Horsley (Jr. Canadiens '01 - GTHL)
10. RW Graeme Clarke (Toronto Marlboros '00 - GTHL)

As always you have no idea about this age group based off the list of players posted just like with previous years lists.The two top forwards and top D from the GTHL are not even listed in the top ten.But is that because those players parents never spent $199 on a membership to your website?Take it from someone with knowledge people the list posted is nothing more then a effort to get parents going to spend money to join a site because there son is not listed.No OHL scouts or agents turn to this site for information, So consider this list nothing more then entertainment.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
As always you have no idea about this age group based off the list of players posted just like with previous years lists.The two top forwards and top D from the GTHL are not even listed in the top ten.But is that because those players parents never spent $199 on a membership to your website?Take it from someone with knowledge people the list posted is nothing more then a effort to get parents going to spend money to join a site because there son is not listed.No OHL scouts or agents turn to this site for information, So consider this list nothing more then entertainment.

Maybe you could give us your top 10 including as you say the top 2 eligible forwards and top D man....

pucksniper

Jan 24, 2016
Maybe you could give us your top 10 including as you say the top 2 eligible forwards and top D man....

All I will say is there will be some very happy OHL teams with later picks if this list was correct.Go watch some games and it will be very clear why others lists are different then the one posted.I have no interest in doing homework for others.And on a side note go read some of the articles and see why copy and paste is a great thing.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
All I will say is there will be some very happy OHL teams with later picks if this list was correct.Go watch some games and it will be very clear why others lists are different then the one posted.I have no interest in doing homework for others.And on a side note go read some of the articles and see why copy and paste is a great thing.

Ok I get it, Your son is not on the list because you refuse to pay $199....The draft is a year and a half away,I'm sure things will change.

pucksniper

Jan 24, 2016
Ok I get it, Your son is not on the list because you refuse to pay $199....

I could say your happy because you paid $199 and your son is on the list because of it.See?Works both ways.I am more involved then being a parent my friend,I would put it as I am someone that needs to watch Bantam and MM each season with a reason for doing so.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca

$199.00?

Perhaps you should do some more research about who we are prior to the attack.

Last edited:

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Well lets hear who you are then?

Here you are.

On a serious note, no hard feelings.

It should be noted that unlike who you're alluding to, we specifically have watched the '01 age group the entire year and have seen every team save for a few AYHL teams and US independents. We don't have a personal agenda, nor do we rely on this for a primary income, so objectivity is not even up for debate.

As always, there's going to be differing points of view with players at any age - especially at the Bantam age when there's such a stark difference in physical maturity between so many of the players.

Respectively, that's our top-10 ranking thus far and if you have a differing point of view, that's absolutely within your capacity. We're not preaching this as gospel, but it is the culmination of everything we've seen to date at this point of the year and it represents our position on the age group as of now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad