Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
**** Wheeler, I hope he rots in Winnipeg for his entire career and never sees the playoffs. Then as soon as he retires Winnipeg can turn into a power house for all I care. Stop making excuses for that ****ing trader.

Oh I agree, I wasn't trying to excuse his *************, just curious about when we offered him a contract.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Coyotes should look at signing Jets' UFA Defenseman Paul Postma. RHD. Offensive minded. Good underlying #s but under utilized.

He should be a great signing for whoever gets him. He's a high end 3rd pair, low end 2nd pair RHD who's been treated like a press box tool his whole career. Only concern would be if his hernia surgery slows him down. Coyotes have the 2nd/3rd pair RHD covered though.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Would a 3 way trade like this make sense?

ARZ - Eberle, Hartnell

CBJ - RNH

EDM - Murray, AZ 2nd

Eberle and Hartnell for a 2nd round pick works for me, but I highly doubt Hartnell would waive his NMC to join the Coyotes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
But how often do 3-way trades actually happen?

I do like Hartnell though, if we can get CBJ to take McGinn. This offers them cap relief and opens up a protection slot for them. Hartnell would just need to waive to go to AZ.

Then make a separate deal for RNH.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Hey guys, Habs fan here but for sim league purposes, I'd like your opinion on Chychrun and Strome.

What do you expect from Chychrun this year? Do you expect a better year than what he did last season? Is he going to get any PP time this season?

Also, for Strome, I see most of you sending him to the AHL this year, what are the odds he starts in the NHL and what would be realistic expectations in terms of points?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hey guys, Habs fan here but for sim league purposes, I'd like your opinion on Chychrun and Strome.

What do you expect from Chychrun this year? Do you expect a better year than what he did last season? Is he going to get any PP time this season?

Also, for Strome, I see most of you sending him to the AHL this year, what are the odds he starts in the NHL and what would be realistic expectations in terms of points?

This may not help you, but I think Chychrun improves and will probably get PP time (PP 2- OEL will remain on PP 1 barring injury), but that will depend on who else we acquire/draft for the D-core. We should be looking at stay-at-home/Defensive RHD, but if someone better becomes available, you never know.

Strome may start on the NHL roster, but I think he'll end up in Tucson unless he REALLY rocks it. We will be adding a 1C according to Tippett (but I'm thinking it will be a 2C that plays 1C). Dvorak is the solid 2C going into the season (who could possibly move up), Burmi is 3C (if we resign him), and Richardson is 4C. Of course we could move Burmi to the wing to make room for Strome, but his development would probably benefit more by remaining in Tucson the full season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Shattenkirk says he's "intrigued" by Vegas.

If that's the case, he's apparently open to playing on the West coast.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

After the playoffs he had, he is open to whomever will give him the most money. Vegas has plenty of room. The Coyotes already tried once to reach contract terms with him and couldn't.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
True, but Morgan has said the sticking point may have been the other part of the deal - i.e., what we would've had to send to the Blues.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Morgan has said anything his minders want him to put out there. I'm glad that we didn't pay the price regardless.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Young defensemen often flounder around a lot their first few years. With that in mind I'm keeping my expectations on the lower side. If he can be a little more consistent defensively I'll be pretty happy. With hopefully more consistent playing time I think he can add 10 points to his offensive totals. His skill in joining the rush is very good and could be great. But if he doesn't greatly improve production next season or even regresses a tad I won't be too worried. 18/19 is a bigger deal than next year IMO.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

He is interested in the role he'll have on the team as well as the financial aspect. Vegas is probably interesting to him because he'll be the #1 on their team.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I'd go with 30 points for Chychrun. No clue if he'll get PP time, we fired our PP coach so who knows what our PP will be like. But I'd guess that he won't get much time. OEL plays the majority of the PP. DeAngelo was good on it, and the coaches love Goligoski.

For Strome, if he does spend the whole season in the NHL (and isn't a regular scratch) I think he would end up around 35-45 points.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

After the playoffs he had, he is open to whomever will give him the most money. Vegas has plenty of room. The Coyotes already tried once to reach contract terms with him and couldn't.

He is interested in the role he'll have on the team as well as the financial aspect. Vegas is probably interesting to him because he'll be the #1 on their team.

He'd be top pairing here. Same difference.

I'd be thrilled to add Shattenkirk. :dunno:

I can't imagine he'd have any interest in us, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd be thrilled to add Shattenkirk. :dunno:

I can't imagine he'd have any interest in us, though.

Fast forward DeAngelo's development five years for $50m? Not super interested. Be really worried about he'd play on a crap team as well. St Louis looked stronger without him, the Caps were weaker having him. I'd take Alzner at around half that.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Coyotes need a couple of veterans to stabilize the roster. The need becomes even greater if Doan packs it in. Highly unlikely they will get premium UFAs (and other than Shattenkirk, who really is there?) so they have to go out and trade for them. They certainly have plenty of young player and draft choice capital. An experienced center and a defenseman should be at the top of the list.

Best potential dance partners are Rangers and Blackhawks.

Tippett has had enough of losing. Time to mortgage some of that future and make the franchise more respectable today.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coyotes need a couple of veterans to stabilize the roster. The need becomes even greater if Doan packs it in. Highly unlikely they will get premium UFAs (and other than Shattenkirk, who really is there?) so they have to go out and trade for them. They certainly have plenty of young player and draft choice capital. An experienced center and a defenseman should be at the top of the list.

Tippett has had enough of losing. Time to mortgage some of that future and make the franchise more respectable today.

I believe the expansion draft will prompt movement. I believe both first rounders are in play. I suspect a C is likely the top priority and if we can give up the Minnesota first to acquire one that the Coyotes will take one of Makar or Liljegren at 7.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Time to mortgage some of that future and make the franchise more respectable today.

The current amount of future the Coyotes possess is almost completely unknown outside of Dvorak, Domi, and Chychrun.

Funnily enough, the thing they could do to return the most respectability is to fire Tippett.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Let's change out the coaching staff if we're looking toward respectability, shall we?

I don't see a big move. We will find dead cap. Noone will pay us a premium for taking it because they know we need it. We won't sign Shattenkirk. We'll wait for Anaheim to buy out Bieska and sign him hoping he'll be an Klesla-style bandaid. We'll sign a Boyle after Bonino and Hanzal sign elsewhere. Craig Morgan will tweet that we are really close to signing or "made serious offers" to all three of them to maintain the charade that we are big spenders and trying. We'll also see tweets at both drafts saying we are close to deals for several players with name recognition. None of those deals will develop. More anonymous sources through Sarah and Craig will blame the arena situation as the only reason we missed out, and why we aren't competitive. We'll also be "closing in on an arena deal", and making "substantial progress". Team will still look disinterested on ice, and we'll blame it all on "execution".

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Which experienced centers/defensemen are we going to realistically target from the Blackhawks? Seabrook's contract is an albatross and he won't waive his NMC to go from a perennial Cup contender to a lottery team. Hawks have no one to replace Anisimov if he moves. So that leaves Kruger, who is an excellent defensive center but still a 3C at best. As for the Rangers Stepan is the only vet we should have any interest in. But here's the rub - a lot of other teams will be interested in the services of a shutdown 2C under 30 as well.

You're counting your chickens before they hatch. There are still a lot of unknowns regarding our prospect pool. Cashing significant asset chips now doesn't make us a sustainably better team and can easily backfire.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not entirely convinced we're in such a hole for UFAs either. Sure I don't expect to bring in the Shattenkirks of the world at the very top of the list. But it was just last offseason we signed Goligoski after a strong pitch via trading for his rights and giving him the hard sell. The latter being something this team wasn't even attempting during Maloney's tenure.

Bigger issue is the UFA crop sucks more than our ability to attract them outside the very highest end ones.

Exploring trades is fine but going out there desperate is a bad idea.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Run the numbers on capfriendly. The Coyotes need to add 12-15 million in salary to get to the floor next year, yet only really need one D, and most of the top 6 will be young players. It's going to be real interesting.

They very well could blow the pants off Shattenkirk with the reasoning that overpaying him by ~2 mil a year won't matter all that much over the span of his contract.

I'm really worried any significant positive moves will draw Doan back when he really should just walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad