Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
He's like Doan to me and I don't see him as a 1C any longer.

Specifically, on the Coyotes? Yes, he would be the 1C. Hanzal would be too and wins more draws (took almost double last year as well). Point wise, he puts up better numbers than Hanzal, but he plays with better people.

Like I said, I just don't get the Thornton love. 3 and 4 years ago, I would have joined the love fest.

This team has and has had FO mentors, over paying a dinosaur to play with two zippy wingers and maybe teach the kids (maybe) seems flawed.

Dvo was outplaying Hanzal the weeks before Hanzal was traded. Thornton would be our number 1C by a mile. Without bringing someone in, our best C is Dvo. We need another center.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Dvo was outplaying Hanzal the weeks before Hanzal was traded. Thornton would be our number 1C by a mile. Without bringing someone in, our best C is Dvo. We need another center.

I agree we need a 1C. Perhaps one with a balance of production, chemistry, value and maybe longevity is all?

Thornton is one year off being a ppg center, fifth in hart voting, fifth in selke voting...

Cool...he won't produce at that rate on the Yotes.

Slow down. Why I the world would this team be looking to acquire an elite level all-star in his early thirties, absolute prime making mega millions on a long term deal and looking for a cup? That's Thornton four years ago and making that trade makes absolutely no sense at all. We are talking about a stop gap. Stop gaps have warts. It's why they're stop gaps.

Then we are debating the definition of "stop gap". Let's not let this come between us again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd rather try to attract and sign a Haula, who is a decade younger, took similar draws last year (at a higher win %), cheaper and possible able to grow, rather than regress.

Haula is a RFA.

UFA top 9 centers this year:
Thornton
Hanzal
Bonino
Desharnais...
...Gagner...
Husk of Sharp

That's pretty much it.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thornton can hold down top minutes.

Haula definitely can't. You may as well bring back Burmi at that point.

Key thing to remember on Thornton is it will take a multi-year deal. That's the whole thing here. SJ may balk at a 35+ contract and only want to do JT on a 1-yr deal. That's where we can offer 2 years.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Or offer him three or four years waiting for him to retire and we can sit on the dead cap and save money.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One year, seven or eight million for Thornton, trade him at the deadline if the Coyotes are out (they will be).

Do the same with every useful playoff player on the open market that will take a one year deal, stuff the kids they displace down in Tucson. Enter coma until March 2018.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Cool...he won't produce at that rate on the Yotes.

Not expecting Thornton to be a PPG center here. But even at 50 points he would have been our highest scoring center last season. He still has the ability to rack at least that again (if not more) and soak up difficult matchup minutes.

Haula is a decent middle six center but he's still a couple of notches below Thornton AND he will cost assets.

I'm all for throwing 7 million+ a year for Jumbo Joe, over the next two years if that's what it takes to land him. Although ideally he'd somehow agree to a one-year deal (which if he is willing to sign for, I don't see how he doesn't remain in SJ).

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Sharp - Thornton - Williams
Versteeg - Gagner - Stafford
Winnik - Richardson - Parenteau

OEL - M.Green
Chychrun - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Daley

Coyotes: trade 10 guys at the deadline edition :sarcasm:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't see the value in signing an aging center that Tippett will give all the pressure situations to when our young guys can be learning from them. Plug Strome and Dvo into the top two spots and let them learn and let them develop chemistry with Domi, Duclair, Perlini, Fischer, Keller, etc.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Haula is a RFA.

UFA top 9 centers this year:
Thornton
Hanzal
Bonino
Desharnais...
...Gagner...
Husk of Sharp

That's pretty much it.

I understand he is a RFA. Sorry for the post. Thornton would be great in Arizona. So too would be Ganger, because that's the Arizona way. Sharp too, he can hump the other players wife's and generate cohesion in the locker room.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
But even at 50 points he would have been our highest scoring center last season.

Not just last season. As you're aware, but just to illustrate the point, our top scoring C over the past 10 seasons:

H7kEBTI.png

We've had exactly 2 centers crack 50 points in the last decade.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It has our only moves as losing Louie to Vegas (replaced by UFA Berube) and re-signing Shane Doan. And apparently needing Luke Witkowski as a depth D.

In the off-chance (although in three HF expansion draft mocks I've always seen Vegas go this route) we lose Domingue, Anders Nilsson would definitely be my top target in UFA.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not just last season. As you're aware, but just to illustrate the point, our top scoring C over the past 10 seasons:

H7kEBTI.png

We've had exactly 2 centers crack 50 points in the last decade.
Now I have to clean vomit off my phone thanks.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I don't see the value in signing an aging center that Tippett will give all the pressure situations to when our young guys can be learning from them. Plug Strome and Dvo into the top two spots and let them learn and let them develop chemistry with Domi, Duclair, Perlini, Fischer, Keller, etc.

Sink or swim isn't an ideal development route for very young centers. Strome and Dvo need to be put in a position to succeed and establish their games, especially on offense.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In the off-chance (although in three HF expansion draft mocks I've always seen Vegas go this route) we lose Domingue, Anders Nilsson would definitely be my top target in UFA.

Agreed. The one positive to losing Louie is there is a decent crop of UFA goalies this summer.

Hockey the hard way.

No surprise we've missed the playoffs most of those 10 years either.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Olli got such a bad rap. Look at that stat line compared to the other centers we've shoe horned as top six options.
And to file under "bottom six center" as evaluated by our coaching staff:
2011-12 49GP 12-17-29
2012-13 48GP 12-17-29
2013-14 82GP 26-32-58
2014-15 82GP 24-40-64
2015-16 57GP 13-17-30
2016-17 78GP 27-28-55

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sink or swim isn't an ideal development route for very young centers. Strome and Dvo need to be put in a position to succeed and establish their games, especially on offense.

This is so true. If their is no Hanzal/Thornton, DVO/Strome will get all the tough matchups on D and on offense. If you want to see them struggle more, a great way to do it is make them the 1C/2C before they are ready, and they aren't ready, yet.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What about looking at dealing for Craig Smith? Nashville would risk losing a pretty good defenseman if they go the 7F / 3D option.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
What about looking at dealing for Craig Smith? Nashville would risk losing a pretty good defenseman if they go the 7F / 3D option.

Almost certain that Nashville will protect 4D. Which of course puts them in a bind at forward, but even at that I'm still not sure there's a move that can be made.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Making the decent assumption that we stay quiet in UFA, any bets that Chayka offers to take Lupul's contract off Toronto's hands? Might be our path to move up from the MIN 1st and snag Liljegren/Makar if they fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad