Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion IV - Langkow's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Sheahan, and I think he could be a cheap buy after last year's disastrous season. But, he doesn't solve a problem for us in that he's a left handed shot.

Glendening's contract, at four years, is way too long for my tastes.

I like the idea of getting something for helping the Wings out of their cap jam, but I don't really see a realistic return that fills our needs.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I like Sheahan, and I think he could be a cheap buy after last year's disastrous season. But, he doesn't solve a problem for us in that he's a left handed shot.

I like the idea of getting something for helping the Wings out of their cap jam, but I don't really see a realistic return that fills our needs.

A 2nd or a 3rd? More ammo to move up in the draft with we have no lotto luck.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe something like:

Richardson for Dea + Pouliot

Bolland's contract to Detroit for Sheahan/Glendening so that they can sign Athanasiou

A 2nd or a 3rd? More ammo to move up in the draft with we have no lotto luck.

Why would Arizona want Sheahan? His production has been falling like a rock (15% annually) for three years, finally leaving him at a meager 0.16ppg last season. He only took about 500 FOs last season which is less than half the number our "sometimes center" Jordan Martinook took last season, so Sheahan is really another LHS winger. Only he's less productive than the bunch of bottom six LHS wingers we already have in McGinn, Crouse, Martinook, and Cousins. And he's due over two million dollars in actual salary next season. This is pretty much the least interesting player to me in the entire Wings organization.

EDIT: Wait? You're suggesting they give us the pick for bailing them out on Sheahan? Yeah, that makes more sense. As long as we have a taker for McGinn or can dump Sheahan in a subsequent deal. Like maybe Schenn and Sheahan/McGinn to Florida for Demers? We could then sign Roman Polak who is healthy and skating again.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The agent for Vanek and Stafford says the action on these two players has heated up and they should be signed in about a week. Doesn't expect a paycut from the 4 mil Stafford made last season. Uhh, what?

Could be interested in either player at the right price.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
On Sheahan:
1. Change of scenery - he's still young enough to come along with the core.
2. Cost - Bolland earns $1.2M and won't play. You're really only adding $800k. Small risk and the guy is in a contract year.
3. I'm assuming they move McGinn, like you have above. Or maybe Martinook.
4. I want Crouse (and Fischer) in Tucson to start the year. Call them up when injuries hit. Give them the Perlini treatment.
5. As 4C, it's not like Cousins has taken a bunch of FO either. 89 wins / 217 faceoffs. Sheahan's 236/466 is better. Switch them around as needed.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
a little birdy told me a Duclair extension is on the horizon.

You mean he's NOT going to Montreal like every other player has been reported? The unnameable is always reporting that Montreal is lining up trades for everyone and that every player is dying to play there. I should be packing my things up to move there too. :sarcasm:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you can move McGinn and promise Crouse and Fischer start in the AHL than I'm fine with Sheahan. But I like Ryan White a lot more.

Fischer already had an extra year in Tucson despite being NHL ready just to sharpen his offense. I don't see a point in starting him down there again if he was ready a year ago. Crouse I think would be a good idea though and he should be joined by Duclair, Keller and Strome.

Also, if Fischer isn't on the team, this means there's only one righty forward on it. Not possible. That would be like historically bad roster management...

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey guys, Leafs fan in peace. Big fan of Keller. For Fantasy purposes, where do you guys see him in the lineup and how many points do you think he ends up with?
Thanks.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys, Leafs fan in peace. Big fan of Keller. For Fantasy purposes, where do you guys see him in the lineup and how many points do you think he ends up with?
Thanks.

I know most others disagree, but I don't see him in the NHL next season. I know players can improve over the summer but when Keller got the chance to play last season he was so terrible that he they couldn't even let him have his bonus. He got to play on the topline alongside Dvorak and just totally screwed it.

Nobody knows where he's at now. Camp will tell. But he was that far off last season (small sample size I know) that I'd let him have a full AHL season alongside Strome no matter what. I think people get a bit too excited because of his decent performances with the national team. Keller lacks some of the basics and needs to hit the gym before playing with the big club.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope it's league minimum, one year and incentivized, so the team isn't burned when "hope and prayer" doesn't work.

Can't do bonuses for Duke. Only for players on ELCs, over age 35, and I think in cases where the player has missed major time due to injury.

Other news:

Alex Goligoski named MVP's of Minnesota's "Da Beauty League". It's a summer 4-on-4 tournament with a bunch of Minnesotans competing. Stepan was there too. Goose had 17 points in 7 games.

sJAoOOb.png

FWIW, Stepan had 11 points in 3 games. And, unrestricted free agent and potential signee Drew Stafford had 18 points in 8 games, second most in the tournament.

Beer league stats aside...

Saw an interesting quote from Sullivan on Kyle Wood. Can't remember where I read it but to paraphrase, "Wood can play on our powerplay now." Makes me think they have him penciled in for 2RD, and they'll rotate Schenn and Clendening with KConn on the third pairing. Really just need to add a RW if that is the case.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's good to hear. I've been thinking all along they had to feel great about Wood if they were comfortable enough to trade Murphy and DeAngelo.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can't do bonuses for Duke. Only for players on ELCs, over age 35, and I think in cases where the player has missed major time due to injury.

Other news:

Alex Goligoski named MVP's of Minnesota's "Da Beauty League". It's a summer 4-on-4 tournament with a bunch of Minnesotans competing. Stepan was there too. Goose had 17 points in 7 games.

sJAoOOb.png

FWIW, Stepan had 11 points in 3 games. And, unrestricted free agent and potential signee Drew Stafford had 18 points in 8 games, second most in the tournament.

Beer league stats aside...

Saw an interesting quote from Sullivan on Kyle Wood. Can't remember where I read it but to paraphrase, "Wood can play on our powerplay now." Makes me think they have him penciled in for 2RD, and they'll rotate Schenn and Clendening with KConn on the third pairing. Really just need to add a RW if that is the case.

That is asking a lot from Wood. Schenn and Clendening are both proven and I would think way ahead of Wood on the depth chart how it stands today. There are always surprises at training camp and I sure hope Wood is one of them this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That is asking a lot from Wood. Schenn and Clendening are both proven and I would think way ahead of Wood on the depth chart how it stands today. There are always surprises at training camp and I sure hope Wood is one of them this year.

Wood was never even called up last year. He isn't going to step in and play top 4D minutes this year. It won't happen unless Kcon/Schenn/Clendening are all down with an injury. If there are injuries, Wood could make the team and play bottom pairing minutes out of necessity.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Clendening proven? At what? Collecting pucks? Carrying waterbottles?:laugh:

You can't mean NHL hockey. Over his 5 year career he didn't even play a full season if you add them all together. He's terrible. Played only played a bit more 16/17 because Girardi was basically severely banged up all season long.

You're right about Wood though. If Chayka and co really expect Wood to fix the mess they created then they might as well just leave right now.
Like you said...there can be surprises in Training Camp but you can't possibly let all righties go and ask two rookies to save your bloody job...let alone a Wood who hasn't even played a single NHL game yet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wood was never even called up last year. He isn't going to step in and play top 4D minutes this year. It won't happen unless Kcon/Schenn/Clendening are all down with an injury. If there are injuries, Wood could make the team and play bottom pairing minutes out of necessity.

Yup, I agree.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm extremely uncomfortable with our severe lack of blueline depth. I'd be offering guys like Gelinas and Golobef PTOs and/or two-way contracts. We need some guys who can shuttle back and forth from Tucson and be serviceable as bottom pair fill ins when needed. I'd also offer White a PTO/Two-way deal. Who knows how ready Strome and Richardson are. If we end up with Martinook and Cousins playing C regularly, we're going to want depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad