Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion IV - Langkow's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Doan is the only Coyotes player that truly deserves to have his number outright retired in my opinion. Tkachuk's 7, Roenick's 97, and even Teppo's 27 should not be reserved. They were very good players, and there is a time you need to celebrate the past, but in the case of Tkachuk and Roenick they only played a part of their careers here and in the case of Teppo he was the best we had here for a great long while, but I hope that we will see a lot of his achievements eclipsed in the near future.

Agree. If 97 and 7 are retired, should we throw up 3 for Yandle and 11 for Hanzal? Both played here longer than JR and KT.

Doan should get a 19 foot tall statue outside each gate of the stadium and a 19 hour long ceremony.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
White will likely get that PTO. Richardson has been 100% before the end of regular play last season, he's ready.

I've heard nothing as far as acqusitions or FA possibilities, however Chyka did just get married and I believe is honeymooning, so could account for the quietness. I know we were still searching for a natural bottom 2 center, nothing as far as D went.

Ryan white got a pto from Vancouver.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As of right now #19 is the only number that should be retired. I don't care who is honored but only Doan's number is worthy of being retired.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As of right now #19 is the only number that should be retired. I don't care who is honored but only Doan's number is worthy of being retired.

Agree. Also, Doan needs to take Van Ryn's old job that was Steve Sullivan's before that. Development coach.

Article from Sullivan's hire stated:

"He'll oversee Arizona's amateur player development in addition to working with coaches and players with the Portland Pirates, the Coyotes' American Hockey League affiliate, during the season."

Article from Van Ryn's hire stated:

"Van Ryn will assist Coyotes Director of Player Development Steve Sullivan in amateur player development as well as in working with coaches and players in Tucson (AHL) during the season."

...sonit sounds like our Development Coach, if hired in September, could expect to spend most of his time in Tucson while on the job. With travel to amateur destinations sprinkled in season. Certainly less travel than as a player. And much closer to home. Seems ideal. Especially for an icon who always set the finest example and group up in a Christian Youth Summer Camp of all places. He's a leader of young men as true as they come. It's he perfect role for him.

Last edited:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Just saw that. I'd imagine he gets a deal, whether it be 1 or 2 way deal. Word was he was on the radar as a possibility for the fourth line, sucks.

I was excited to have him come last season and am quite disappointed to hear he probably won't return.

CoyotesFan18

May 22, 2015
Montreal
I know this has probably been discussed earlier in the thread but Im to lazy to go back and look, what are we expecting duclairs contract to look like (bridge?)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
X number of years with X number of dollars per year.
I know this has probably been discussed earlier in the thread but Im to lazy to go back and look, what are we expecting duclairs contract to look like (bridge?)

buickcadillacman

Jul 3, 2006
X number of years with X number of dollars per year.

Well technically it's "X number of years with Y number of dollars per year" cause we won't sign him for millions of years and I don't think he'll sign for less than ten dollars per year... just say'n...

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well technically it's "X number of years with Y number of dollars per year" cause we won't sign him for millions of years and I don't think he'll sign for less than ten dollars per year... just say'n...

2 million for 2 years (okay that's probably a bit much).

They may just sign him for a year, but I'd guess 2-3 years at around 1.2-1.5 million per is reasonable:
last year he made $832,500 total salary, so a minimum increase would get him to around $916,000. Given his history and potential, I'd up it a bit as an attempt to "incentivize" him. If they don't feel so inclined, I'm guessing the offer will be around $925,000 per season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If I'm Duclair I don't want term. 1 year is fine. Cause if I go out and prove it was just a sophomore slump then I'm stuck making a third of what I'm worth the next season.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If I'm Duclair I don't want term. 1 year is fine. Cause if I go out and prove it was just a sophomore slump then I'm stuck making a third of what I'm worth the next season.

It will probably be 1 year, but you never know.

RufusG

May 23, 2017

As an example of how this is done nicely, I like the way the Steelers do it. There is one number officially retired, and if you aren't a lifelong fan, you have basically no chance of guessing who that is.

Then there's about 9 or so numbers (I'm probably not current) that are no longer issued, after the players retired. The bar is pretty high, there's a number of HOF members who's numbers are still used.

They also haven't issued the number 13 in maybe 50 or sixty years which is neither here or there.

So in my opinion, there should be no retired numbers for the Yotes, they should just never issue 19 ever again. The others I think should be fair game. No disrespect to the other players. Maybe one or two of them should be in the same category, I haven't been a fan that long to have a strong opinion.

And I really hate the 99 thing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Never issuing 19 again is basically the same thing as retiring it IMO, it's mostly semantics but yes I agree with you. As far as I'm concerned they can take down all the other names, especially the Jets as I no longer want this franchise to have anything to do with them. Give'em the Thrasher treatment.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Never issuing 19 again is basically the same thing as retiring it IMO, it's mostly semantics but yes I agree with you. As far as I'm concerned they can take down all the other names, especially the Jets as I no longer want this franchise to have anything to do with them. Give'em the Thrasher treatment.

I still like their holdover fans. That's like 1/3 of our best posters on this forum. I just think we should give them their history back. They can have it. If anything, we can trade it for the Thrashers history. We'll hang onto that. :)

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
I live in Calgary and been going to Flames games since I was wee little. I don't think of the Flames as Atlanta, there are no Atlanta names or numbers on the rafters. Most Flames fans don't even know we came from Atlanta. I say the Yotes just move on, everything from the Jets history is just that history of a different city and team name. Wipe the slate clean, it's been 20 years :)

With the new building have a tribute to Doan and thats it :)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

I don't really care for honouring defunct franchises. Leave that to the league. Maybe I am wrong but I don't think the Flames honour the Atlanta Flames? Do the Devils honour the Rockies/Scouts players?

Retire #19. Doan embodies the franchise.

As for #99...never understood retiring that # league wide. Silly.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Agreed on 99. What's the point? What kind of a egomaniac would try to wear it anyway?

Yes, it would be quite audacious for a player to wear 99. That said, most kids growing up want to wear the number of their favourite player/idol. There is a reason #4, 7, 9, 10 and 19 are always chosen.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So as camp inches closer it looks more and more like the guys we have right now will be our final roster. There will be no further additions.

That means guys like McGinn will be part of the lineup. Chayka added he sees McGinn as one of the LWs who will play RW.

So what are we looking at for our lineup? We still have too many forwards. I'm also assuming Duclair signs at some point.

Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Keller
Rieder - Strome - McGinn
Martinook - Richardson - Fischer

Cousins as the extra and Crouse in the A?

Alternative bottom 6:

Crouse - Strome - Rieder
Martinook - Richardson - McGinn

Cousins as the extra and Fischer in the A.

Cousins' acquisition is really the one move I didn't like this summer. Just an extra body. We already knew Richardson was good to go, so he wasn't replacing him, and he's hardly Strome insurance. Give me back the pick.

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Wood (this seems like it's happening)
Connauton - Schenn

injured - Chychrun

Gotta think we're signing a defenseman, whether from UFA or after extending a PTO. We have no spare D right now, unless you want to count a guy like Andrew Campbell. We're really in a jam if another D gets injured.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
How was Perlini in the D zone? Can he play RW? With his size and speed he could be given a chance to play with Strome as long as he backchecks well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How was Perlini in the D zone? Can he play RW? With his size and speed he could be given a chance to play with Strome as long as he backchecks well.

Many could play RW. That's not the problem. The Coyotes need righties...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad