Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would. A 3rd to get rid of that contract and keep Schenn sounds fine to me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Vrbata will get a healthy contract, especially if its only a one year deal. Always a chance we sign Doan too. Add Duke, and other rfa and we probably get pretty close to the floor.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We're marshmallow soft even with Schenn. Couldn't imagine what liberties teams would would take without him.

Nobody is afraid of Schenn. He's not a deterrent. Yes we are soft. And he is not soft. But he's not even close to being an intimidating player that commands decorum among opponents. Pick up Ryan Reaves for that. Anthony Peluso maybe. Schenn's only value is as a good defefensive defenseman.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mr. Leipold, if you're "willing to live with it", then you don't have to mention it.

Totally agree. They're disrespecting Hanzal for no reason and they're just making themselves look like fools.

Maybe Hanzal will come back to us? If we don't end up drafting a center with our top pick, I'm pretty open to him coming back if the deal isn't too long.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nobody is afraid of Schenn. He's not a deterrent. Yes we are soft. And he is not soft. But he's not even close to being an intimidating player that commands decorum among opponents. Pick up Ryan Reaves for that. Anthony Peluso maybe. Schenn's only value is as a good defefensive defenseman.

Reaves would be awesome. Blues fans and players seem to love him too.

Coyotes Crusader

Jul 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

To suggest that anyone is afraid of Schenn would be laughable. That wasnt' my intent. Schenn was/is simply the best available response we have. Which leads me to agree with you in spades that Reaves, Peluso or even Thorburn would be meaningful upgrades. Let's hope for one of those three or our Young Guns will be shish-ke-bab.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thinking about Hanzal again. If we can get him on a short deal that's front-loaded enough to where he's not a nuisance in a few years might not be a bad idea.

Something like 3yrs, 17mil, 5.67avg

1. 7.50m
2. 5.75m
3. 3.75m

Any chance he takes that? It only sucks for usnin the first year when it really doesn't matter at all.

Keller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Domi-Burmistrov-Duke
Perlini-Dvorak-Rieder
Nook-Richardson-Fischer

Last edited:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Oh. Then who cares? Thanks for informing me/calming me. Haha. :)

How much would you guys pay Vegas to take McGinn off our hands, allowing us to keep Schenn?

If they said they'd accept nothing less than 69th overall, or we lose Schenn and get stuck with McGinn, would you do it?

I think I would.

Yes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Thinking about Hanzal again. If we can get him on a short deal that's front-loaded enough to where he's not a nuisance in a few years might not be a bad idea.

Something like 3yrs, 17mil, 5.67avg

1. 7.50m
2. 5.75m
3. 3.75m

Any chance he takes that? It only sucks for usnin the first year when it really doesn't matter at all.

Keller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Domi-Burmistrov-Duke
Perlini-Dvorak-Rieder
Nook-Richardson-Fischer

IF Hanzal and Burmistrov are the top 2 centres the Coyotes will be battling for 31st place next season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I like Schenn for what he brings to the table. He doesn't have to play a role as a deterrent. He simply needs to keep the crease clean.

I also want Hanzal back. I know what we are getting and don't see any way to make a greater improvement to the club's center position for next season at this point in time than by taking Hanzal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
NHL players have no fear of guys like Reaves either. They play 8 or 9 minutes a night and can't really just fight folks who don't want to fight. NHL players have faced this their whole lives and the effect of a fighter are pretty much zero.
A good hard hitting D man is much more effective but again NHL players have faced that as well their whole lives.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd pay the 3rd to move McGinn. He just doesn't fit this team.

No to Hanzal. Too many injuries. And let's finally change the look of this team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Based off of some ideas that have been kicked around, I could deal with the following moves:

Re-sign Vrbata and Doan to similar deals in the $2 - $3.0M range

Thornton on a 1 year deal of about $5.5 - $6.5M

Trade for Craig Smith from Nashville (adds $4.25M). I am looking at using the #23 or #35 pick, so #35 for Smith and a 2018 3rd round pick? Or #23 for #28 and Smith? I am really having a tough time gauging the value/worth of Smith in context to our draft picks.

Send a 3rd round pick to LV to take McGinn.

Given the RFAs that we plan on keeping out of Martinook, Burmistrov, etc. - this should get us to the cap floor without having to add an LTIR contract.

In a worst case scenario, let's say that we are short of the cap floor by no more than $2.0M, do we speed up an extension for Domi, and try to get him locked in for an extended time of say, 6 years and a $28M contract?

Domi-Thornton-Vrbata
Perlini-Dvorak-Smith
Rieder-Strome-Duclair
Martinook-Richardson-Doan

Crouse, Dauphin, Fischer, and Keller all could be in the AHL. If Strome needs AHL time as well, Keller or Crouse come up and Martinook shifts back to C. I think we may see more of our players like Rieder being discussed in trades. If this were to happen and we also kept some of the RFAs (Burmi, Jooris, or others), then we have a lot of players without much room on the NHL level for all of that talent. Trades may be coming sooner than we think.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I still think that Hanzal's last back operation did him good. Re-sign Vrbata, bring back Hanzal, and trade for someone like Tyler Johnson. I guess it would be circumventing if the 'Yotes traded for TJ and included in a package a player to be named later, after the expansion draft. So we would be trading an expansion protection slot. That also might work with the Rangers if the Coyotes can get away with it.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the 3rd round pick is too much for McGinn. He had a bad year and he's a left-handed winger, but that contract is not outrageous and helps us to get closer to the floor. Plus, I'd say McGinn is a very likely candidate for a bounceback season. It's not like we're leaving Vegas a lot of other good options, so it's sort of an idle threat. What are they going to do? Take one year of Luke Schenn? Domingue? K-Conn? It's not like any of those are huge losses to the roster either.

I'd be willing to go up to our 4th, but past that I'd look to include McGinn as a contract dump in a trade instead or move someone else and hope he bounces back.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For Hanzal, I'd offer 4 year X $5.5M per = $22M total
$6, 5.75, 5.25, 5
He holds place for the first 2 and then you decide if he's a buyout candidate or just an expensive bottom 6 center on a team built to compete.
Even if we buy him out after year 2, he should still be able to earn the remainder, as long as he doesn't decline too much.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yes. He's not a 1C but he's better than anything we have now or have had in the past 10 years.

Contract is just okay. 4.55 over the next 4. I guess it depends what the Hawks would want in return.

In this case I guess we'd run Anisimov, Dvo, Strome, Richy down the middle.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Anisimov brings similar traits to Hanzal, he'll probably be a hair cheaper, Tippett will be less likely to lean on him at the expense of younger players' development, and he plays a style better suited for the prospects making their way through the system. His success with Kane and Panarin suggests he could be a good center between Keller and Domi. Sign me up.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Artem Anisimov is reported to possibly be available, thoughts?

Why would Chicago want to trade him? Their center depth is getting weaker and weaker and he is on an affordable contact. Unless they think they can get Bonino for cheaper I don't see why they would move him yet. Is there a source to this because I would love to pick him up. He would be a perfect stop gap type center as he is a better fit than Hanzal, but still is very defensively responsible.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Coyotes have very little trade ammo beyond the Minny pick. I don't see it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Artem Anisimov is reported to possibly be available, thoughts?

Yes. He's not a 1C but he's better than anything we have now or have had in the past 10 years.

Contract is just okay. 4.55 over the next 4. I guess it depends what the Hawks would want in return.

In this case I guess we'd run Anisimov, Dvo, Strome, Richy down the middle.

Anisimov brings similar traits to Hanzal, he'll probably be a hair cheaper, Tippett will be less likely to lean on him at the expense of younger players' development, and he plays a style better suited for the prospects making their way through the system. His success with Kane and Panarin suggests he could be a good center between Keller and Domi. Sign me up.

I don't like Russians, but he may not be a bad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad