Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chayka says he doesn't expect to be too active in free agency. Trades the more likely route.

We hear this every year as an excuse not to spend money and participate and then they learn that trade costs for people worth having is prohibitive and the trades never develop.
We also have almost zero assets worth trading for at the NHL level, so an impact trade will be moving good young players and/or picks or OEL.

Consumer confidence at all time low.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The team underperformed. It was a good trade to make at the time. They didn't **** the bed because of the trade. Clearly they **** the bed despite it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We hear this every year as an excuse not to spend money and participate and then they learn that trade costs for people worth having is prohibitive and the trades never develop.
We also have almost zero assets worth trading for at the NHL level, so an impact trade will be moving good young players and/or picks or OEL.

Consumer confidence at all time low.

Meh, UFA corp is so bad. Shatty would be the only player really worth dropping a large amount of dough on. Hanzal for the right price too, but we've gone through that discussion here.

The trade market is way more interesting to me this year, and that doesn't mean we don't spend if we make a big trade. This out of all years I'm glad he is already being open on his plans. Teams know they can give us bad contracts if they make it worth it. He just went public with this plan and I think that should help get conversations started.

Nothing to see here to me. Let's just hope some moves are made this summer. Otherwise I will be very disappointed.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There will be another owner saying that in next few years about the contract they sign Hansel to this summer. He will be worth nowhere near the rumors that his expectations are.

Someone will be suffering buyer's remorse with Hanzal after free agency.

I hope it's not us. We already know he won't sign here for a reasonable deal.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Max offer sheet Draisaitl

If he takes it and EDM balks, we have our young 1C and make the cap floor.

If he takes it and EDM accepts, it puts a conference rival in a tougher cap situation going forward.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Max offer sheet Draisaitl

If he takes it and EDM balks, we have our young 1C and make the cap floor.

If he takes it and EDM accepts, it puts a conference rival in a tougher cap situation going forward.

Except that it'd cost us a buttload of first round picks and Chayka values those more than actual players.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We'll find value by taking on a bad deal....

Eberle
C. Smith
Eakin
Plekanec
etc.

are players that actually have something left.

Who are the long-term LTIR players that we can swing a deal to add the LTIR contract plus a useful player?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Max offer sheet is $9.389M and four 1sts.

I imagine Drai will get around 8M from the Oilers.

Not sure if I'd do the offer sheet but I do wish GMs would use this tool more.

I'd love to see the reaction of the Coyotes hammering a Canadian team with an offer sheet. Maybe we could even ear mark revenue sharing dollars received from the Oilers to pay Drai specifically.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Max offer sheet is $9.389M and four 1sts.

I imagine Drai will get around 8M from the Oilers.

Not sure if I'd do the offer sheet but I do wish GMs would use this tool more.

I'd love to see the reaction of the Coyotes hammering a Canadian team with an offer sheet. Maybe we could even ear mark revenue sharing dollars received from the Oilers to pay Drai specifically.

Edmonton would let Drai go to take our next 4 first round pics. They remain loaded up front. I wouldn't offer a max offer sheet for anyone short of McDavid.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would love to see someone offer sheet Draisaitl at 7 years for $9.3 million per year. The Oilers might have Draisaitl and McDavid but they will be hurting for Cap space to fill out the roster around them. If they take the picks I think a team would get a number 1 center for 2 first round picks with a 2nd and 3rd. Better then average chance those picks would never be as good as Draisaitl.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The one time, one time that we get the #1OA it would go to Edmonton. Coyote luck. I like Drai a lot, but is he really worth 4 first round draft picks in a row? He's very good, but not a generational player. His numbers are also a bit puffed by his line mates.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Curious to see what players we target via trade if UFA isn't a big priority.

Even if we do a Dumba deal I think we still need to add quite a bit of salary as his cap number is fairly low (2.55) ... Do we go back to Stepan, assuming NYR needs the dollars for potentially signing Shattenkirk? Or maybe we try for RNH?

Perlini - RNH/Stepan - Vrbata
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Crouse - Strome - Rieder
Martinook - Richardson - Fischer

ex/ Dauphin

Don't worry about the line combos too much.

And on D:

OEL - Dumba
Goose - Murphy
Chychrun - DeAngelo

ex/ KConn, Schenn

With LV taking McGinn.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

To the Wild owner:

a42.png

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
CapFriendly has switched over to next season

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/coyotes

We have 47 mil against the cap right now. About 9 mil of that is dead money for Bolland, Vermette, Ribeiro.

After signing Duclair, Martinook, and Burmistrov, you still need about 12-15m to hit the floor but there's not a lot of spots to fill.

Trading your way out of that seems like the wrong thing to do.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Hopefully they don't tie us to another bad contract just to hit the floor. I'd rather they trade for assets with bad contracts that have a year or two left before they do that. Don't need another long term big contract to an average at best player like Goligosky. No reason to gamble on a bad citizen like Ribs either at this point.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe it's only if they are unprotected

Oh. Then who cares? Thanks for informing me/calming me. Haha. :)

How much would you guys pay Vegas to take McGinn off our hands, allowing us to keep Schenn?

If they said they'd accept nothing less than 69th overall, or we lose Schenn and get stuck with McGinn, would you do it?

I think I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad