Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Continue..........

VioletEnragedCanary.gif

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Ugh those center point totals.

Had almost forgotten Lombardi. He had a pretty nice year there before falling off the map.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Ugh those center point totals.

Had almost forgotten Lombardi. He had a pretty nice year there before falling off the map.

I think this also shows that while a true #1 C would be nice, we have had both successes and failures with a #1 C who did not score a ton of points. Our current issue is that most of our centers simply do not have the experience in the league to be as effective as possible. So even if Stepan or a C that is not a true #1 were added, it would still have a great benefit for the Dvoraks and Stromes of the league who are adjusting to the NHL. In 3-5 years, we won't have that problem with those same Cs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
IPreferPi said:
Almost certain that Nashville will protect 4D. Which of course puts them in a bind at forward, but even at that I'm still not sure there's a move that can be made.

Always a move that can be made :)

Let's say that the worst case scenario comes up where the 6 players drafted in front of us include Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Hesakainen, Mittlestadt, and Glass. We don't really have a consensus player to agree to at #7, although we could make the case for a few players.

Do we explore the #7 OA to Nashville for Smith, 2017 NSH 1st round pick, and maybe another prospect or future pick? Smith is signed through 2020, I believe, and is a RHS, so if we wind up seeing Strome top out as our #1 C sooner rather than later, slide Smith to the right wing when that time comes.

Basically, we could come out of the draft with the following:

Smith
Timmins (#23 pick)
Thomas or Poehling (#28-31 pick)
Thomas, Poehling, or Mattheos (#35 pick)
Future pick/prospect

Granted, I don't think that Smith is worth the 7th OA pick in any way by himself, but he and the Nashville 1st round pick definitely starts to swing the door open if the Predators add another piece of decent value in a deal. Still may not be enough to move up to #7, but if there is a draft year where that risk can be taken, this is the draft when such a scenario can occur.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Even under the worst case scenario, I would not trade down from 7 with Craig Smith and a very late 1st being the primary return.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Even under the worst case scenario, I would not trade down from 7 with Craig Smith and a very late 1st being the primary return.

Yeah, that is the only issue. If we were picking closer to the #12-16 range, I think that falls right in line with a decent value.

For the most part, the player who is available at #7 will likely need 2-3 additional years of development, which is probably not too far off from what someone in the latter half of the 1st round would take. Just one of those things where this year's draft may be different enough between all teams boards that the value of the #7 pick is not quite as valuable as other years.

I would be very intrigued if Nashville offered Smith, 1st round pick, and one of either Allard, Girard, or Dougherty. In two years, our forward lineup could be:

Domi-Strome-Smith
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Martinook-Keller-Duclair
Crouse-Dauphin-XXXX

We'd also potentially have a Poehling, Thomas, or Mattheos in the system as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What's the story with Deangelo? He is untouchable or would you guys be open to a swap?

I think Derrick Pouliot is gonna want out. Was curious is a 1:1 swap would be something?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
DeAngelo is not completely untouchable and he's had a pretty up and down start to his NHL career. But it's only been 30+ games, and he has flashed gamebreaking offense. He wouldn't be moving unless it was for a clear upgrade at RHD or C.

Not at all interested in Pouliot.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Pouliot is interesting as a change-of-scenery type of player, but there's no room on the current roster for a LHD, much less such an iffy one. Definitely wouldn't give up someone on an upward trajectory like DeAngelo. Not sure there's a deal to be had here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought they had slotted him in on the right side for some time. Regardless, wouldn't trade DeAngelo for him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Predators fans appear to be open to a #23 OA for Craig Smith. Since we would be helping the Predators by taking on a meh contract and not forcing them to send a pick to Vegas to take Smith, maybe there is some room to work a deal.

#23 OA for Smith and NSH 2017 5th round pick (between #152 and 155)?

Nashville gets another late 1st rounder to get a #2/#3 C prospect with. Arizona adds a RHS who can play C or W. Also, Smith's best seasons were under Trotz, so very likely that he would probably fit in with Tippett better than other possibilities.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree.

Predators fans appear to be open to a #23 OA for Craig Smith. Since we would be helping the Predators by taking on a meh contract and not forcing them to send a pick to Vegas to take Smith, maybe there is some room to work a deal.

#23 OA for Smith and NSH 2017 5th round pick (between #152 and 155)?

Nashville gets another late 1st rounder to get a #2/#3 C prospect with. Arizona adds a RHS who can play C or W. Also, Smith's best seasons were under Trotz, so very likely that he would probably fit in with Tippett better than other possibilities.

There is no way I trade a 23 OA for Smith.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not shocking but Friedman says Dumba's name is out there due to expansion issues in Minny. He didn't mentioned Arizona w/ respect to Dumba, though we've been connected in the past.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I agree.

There is no way I trade a 23 OA for Smith.

Fair, but not many 20 goal scorers out there that can be had by the Coyotes, either.

Given that we may be turning around our ability to sign free agents, but it's a move that has little downside to me for the following reasons:

1. The guy we pick at #23 likely will be getting his feet wet in the AHL by the time Smith's contract is up. And may not even be in the NHL when all is said and done.
2. Contract isn't great, but not exactly horrible, either. Will help us balance getting to the floor with LTIR contracts coming off the books.
3. RH C/RW, which is an organizational need.
4. Versatile enough to slide over to wing when our C depth starts to come into their own.
5. Veteran presence who is needed in case Doan or Vrbata do not come back (If neither comes back, our stabilizing vets are Goligoski, Mike Smith, OEL, and Brad Richardson).

If the value of Smith for #23 is not there, remember Eakin's salary is not far behind Smith's, and the stats and possession piece favor Smith much higher. My understanding was that Eakin may be had for a 2nd round pick, so not terribly far off, but may require something more than just a 5th rounder from Nashville.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd be fine with Smith, but not for a 1st (or 2nd). We seem to have two 3rds, so perhaps packaging a third + borderline prospect (Gaudet or Dauphin)

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Goldberg's role as per the Knights:

Goldberg will be responsible for management of the pro scouting staff and video scouting platform along with assisting the General Manager in player contract negotation and special projects.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka says he doesn't expect to be too active in free agency. Trades the more likely route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad