Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Pending any major trades or offseason moves, what do you think our lines will look like for next year. I am personally hoping for something like this.
Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
Quenneville - Zajac - Blandisi
Henrique - McLeod/1st round pick - Speers
Wood - Josefson - Bennett

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Pending any major trades or offseason moves, what do you think our lines will look like for next year. I am personally hoping for something like this.
Hall - Zacha - Palmieri

Way too much youth on that roster. Half of those kids should be in the AHL or in their junior leagues developing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sign me up for giving Jagr a 1 year deal. No downside, and if he's still decent and we're out of it at the deadline, we could grab a pick.

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
JQ - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - McLeod - Bennett
Wood - Blandisi - Noesen/Speers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm glad that we were a stop on the Jagr train, but we probably should move forward. Jagr on Vegas just seems a little too perfect (assuming McPhee doesn't hate Jagr from their time together in Washington).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Hall - Zacha - Palmieri

Why is everyone so high on Blandisi. I hope he makes it as a 3rd liner, 2nd liner I doubt it, at least on a decent team. I'm not denying that he has some talent, however, he's still weak on his skates and isn't a smart player.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
It's not so much if Jagr is a good player, I'm sure he still is.

But he's the exact opposite of where we're going right now. He's painfully slow and we're trying to build a team on speed. I just don't see Shero giving him a one-year deal when he's going to slow down almost any line he's on.

Our team is dog**** in possession. We could definitely use a player like Jagr, even if he is "slow".

I don't like the whole notion of having a team identity built around speed. We're already really fast. That alone doesn't translate to winning. You need some oil for the vinegar.

Also, he would be great to have around for a player like Zacha, as well as the other younger players on the team.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Why is everyone so high on Blandisi. I hope he makes it as a 3rd liner, 2nd liner I doubt it, at least on a decent team. I'm not denying that he has some talent, however, he's still weak on his skates and isn't a smart player.
so when did you stop watching the games?

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

I agree, the flaws in his game are still pretty apparent.

I think his ceiling is a third liner, he strikes me as the kind of player that's useful to have but would be more successful in a fairly sheltered role against weaker competition.

I like his passion & intensity. I could actually see him being the straw that stirs the drink on a really good fourth line, one that actually contributes on the scoresheet and offers a change of pace when other lines have gone cold.

I don't see him ever becoming a top six guy though, if he rounds out some of the weaknesses in his game there's no reason he can't be a productive piece in our bottom six going forward.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I agree, the flaws in his game are still pretty apparent.

I think his ceiling is a third liner, he strikes me as the kind of player that's useful to have but would be more successful in a fairly sheltered role against weaker competition.

I like his passion & intensity. I could actually see him being the straw that stirs the drink on a really good fourth line, one that actually contributes on the scoresheet and offers a change of pace when other lines have gone cold.

I don't see him ever becoming a top six guy though, if he rounds out some of the weaknesses in his game there's no reason he can't be a productive piece in our bottom six going forward.

Blandisi's has gotten progressively stronger on his skates. I feel like a lot of his issues trace back to the injury he had in his draft +1 year.

But he has a way of being elusive, supporting the play well, and creating offense that hardly anyone has on this team. He's going to find a useful role on this team. I think he can develop into a middle-six pest who has enough skill to put up ~30-40 points a year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So lets get some over the hill aging stop gap players.

It's about a balance.

Need both youth and quality veterans. Too much youth and you end up like the Hall/RNH/Eberle Oilers. Too many over the hill stop gap players and you end up with the post-Kovalchuk Devils until Shero took over. We need to get quality players so that there are a few spots open to the kids so they either have to earn their role or they get quality time to develop in the AHL.

In that scenario, we'd have almost no prospects developing in the AHL. Then when those kids get hurt or struggle, we'd be dipping into scrubs like Camper and Gibbons to play with those kids. Or we go out and dumpster dive for scrubs like Tlusty, Kennedy, O'Neill, etc.

I'd rather be proactive and have quality veterans on the roster so that when kids get hurt or are struggling, they're playing with NHL talent rather than borderline NHL talent.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
By the same token look at the Leafs. Now, their big 3 rookies are amazing and we don't have something like that but the point is if the kids are good enough to make the team don't stop them because they're young. I highly doubt all those guys will push their way onto the roster but who knows, maybe they do.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
By the same token look at the Leafs. Now, their big 3 rookies are amazing and we don't have something like that but the point is if the kids are good enough to make the team don't stop them because they're young. I highly doubt all those guys will push their way onto the roster but who knows, maybe they do.

Each of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner are far superior to what the Devils have in Zacha, McLeod, and whoever else may make the team.

They might've gotten away with throwing all the kids into top roles, but the Devils likely won't be.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
It's about a balance.

Need both youth and quality veterans. Too much youth and you end up like the Hall/RNH/Eberle Oilers. Too many over the hill stop gap players and you end up with the post-Kovalchuk Devils until Shero took over. We need to get quality players so that there are a few spots open to the kids so they either have to earn their role or they get quality time to develop in the AHL.

In that scenario, we'd have almost no prospects developing in the AHL. Then when those kids get hurt or struggle, we'd be dipping into scrubs like Camper and Gibbons to play with those kids. Or we go out and dumpster dive for scrubs like Tlusty, Kennedy, O'Neill, etc.

I'd rather be proactive and have quality veterans on the roster so that when kids get hurt or are struggling, they're playing with NHL talent rather than borderline NHL talent.

You think too many players under the age of 30 are kids and not veterans when a good portion of the ones under the age of 30 on this team have seen enough games that it qualifies them as veterans in the NHL.

Having Wood, Zacha, Blandisi up next year along with Quenneville, McLeod, Speers and who ever we pick (if they are ready for the NHL) isn't going to hurt the team.

In fact, they are better options than the DSP, Kalinins and other pieces of **** you would like this team to use as stop gap players.

Each of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner are far superior to what the Devils have in Zacha, McLeod, and whoever else may make the team.

They might've gotten away with throwing all the kids into top roles, but the Devils likely won't be.

SMH.

They are also coached by a much better coach that actually has a strategy and knows how to teach his strategy and how to use his players to their strengths.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You think too many players under the age of 30 are kids and not veterans when a good portion of the ones under the age of 30 on this team have seen enough games that it qualifies them as veterans in the NHL.

Having Wood, Zacha, Blandisi up next year along with Quenneville, McLeod, Speers and who ever we pick (if they are ready for the NHL) isn't going to hurt the team.

In fact, they are better options than the DSP, Kalinins and other pieces of **** you would like this team to use as stop gap players.

The last part is just dumb. Devils got rid of Kalinin and Fiddler and DSP has basically disappeared from the team since the game in Colorado. Devils haven't been afraid to shed dead weight. It's taken longer than it probably should've the last couple years, but a lot of that has to do with not rushing the kids.

What I'm saying is that the Devils need to add quality NHL players. Instead of adding Fiddler, look at a guy like Winnik. Instead of adding Kennedy/Tlusty, look at a forward like Vanek/Vrbata. The problem with these guys is if you don't sign them quick enough, you're left with picking whoever is the best of the rest. You end up with the players in the former group.

Devils need to find a mix of having enough spots open for the kids but also being able to send those that aren't quite ready yet to get top minutes in Albany. If we go into the year with all the kids penciled into top-nine roles and they aren't ready, the Devils end up signing off the trash heap for people to complain about them all year.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

But they have more youth than that. Hyman, Brown, Zaitsev, Soshnikov, etc. That team is riddled with young guys and they're doing well. That's what I'm saying, if the young guys are good don't keep them out because of their age.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The last part is just dumb. Devils got rid of Kalinin and Fiddler and DSP has basically disappeared from the team since the game in Colorado. Devils haven't been afraid to shed dead weight. It's taken longer than it probably should've the last couple years, but a lot of that has to do with not rushing the kids.

What I'm saying is that the Devils need to add quality NHL players. Instead of adding Fiddler, look at a guy like Winnik. Instead of adding Kennedy/Tlusty, look at a forward like Vanek/Vrbata. The problem with these guys is if you don't sign them quick enough, you're left with picking whoever is the best of the rest. You end up with the players in the former group.

Devils need to find a mix of having enough spots open for the kids but also being able to send those that aren't quite ready yet to get top minutes in Albany. If we go into the year with all the kids penciled into top-nine roles and they aren't ready, the Devils end up signing off the trash heap for people to complain about them all year.

No, the last part was brought up because you defended such absurd ******** from this staff. If the kids are a better option than stop gap players, you go with the kids. Their skill should matter, not their age.

But they have more youth than that. Hyman, Brown, Zaitsev, Soshnikov, etc. That team is riddled with young guys and they're doing well. That's what I'm saying, if the young guys are good don't keep them out because of their age.

Yup, I agree.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No, the last part was brought up because you defended such absurd ******** from this staff. If the kids are a better option than stop gap players, you go with the kids. Their skill should matter, not their age.

Yup, I agree.

That's because people like to go off the deep end in GDT. Those guys were stop gaps that were used merely as insulation for the young kids. When they're time was clearly done, Devils did away with them.

The kids are going to be better options than the stop gaps we've signed the last couple years. I'm proposing signing better stop gaps to make the team and organization deeper. Make kids force those guys off the team and make them expendable.

More often then not, the kids aren't ready is the thing. The Leafs got very lucky across the board with all of their young kids. If I would've told you Marner, Nylander, AND Matthews, all would've cleared 60 points in September, people would've laughed their ***** off that it wouldn't happen. They all had spectacular years, but that doesn't usually happen.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

It's not about age, it's about moulding our young players into the best possible players they can be. Sometimes a young player might be better then a veteran but will benefit more so from playing more minutes and a bigge rôle r in the AHL over limited minutes and role in the NHL.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
You need quality vets to play as the younger kids get used to this level. For every this year of Toronto (With a 1OA and some other high picks) there's the previous ten years of Edmonton.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The Leafs have a horseshoe up their ass this year.

That legit never happens with kids and hell there is no guarantee all of them keep it up next year.

Yea it usually never happens this way but then again most of the time teams never have the sheer amount of high quality rookies that they do. I was skeptical of Marner being so impactful right away but Nylander and Matthews I thought would be legit. Coupled with Babcock's coaching it's not that big of a surprise to me how well they're doing.

But for us it'd be a matter of who our rookies are competing against for a spot on the team. If Shero doesn't bring in many reinforcements then I really don't see why we wouldn't run with the young guys - if they prove they're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille