Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Leafs have a horseshoe up their ass this year.

That legit never happens with kids and hell there is no guarantee all of them keep it up next year.

No, the Leafs have 3 great young players and if those guys stay healthy they're going to be good for a decade. Matthews is one of the best players in the league already and Marner and Nylander are also really good.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I would trade that pick for Duchenne.

I would too, I wouldn't add to it though.

Duchene is a very good player, his performance this year doesn't concern me at all. That dumpster fire team and the constant trade rumours would kill anyones motivation.

He needs a fresh start, at only 26 he'd fit right in with the Hall, Henrique, Palmieri 'core'.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Moving that pick for Duchene is a disaster. Will that player be better than Duchene? Probably not. Will that player have to be paid $8M per in 2019 and be moving out of his prime years at that point? No.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would too, I wouldn't add to it though.

Duchene is a very good player, his performance this year doesn't concern me at all. That dumpster fire team and the constant trade rumours would kill anyones motivation.

He needs a fresh start, at only 26 he'd fit right in with the Hall, Henrique, Palmieri 'core'.

Also gives us some great center depth.

Duchenne, Zajac, Zacha, McLeod.

Also gives us plenty of flexibility to move one to wing if needed too.

Doubt the pick alone gets it done. I wouldn't add anything either.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Duchene would add another smallish player to go with Hall and Palmieri. I'd keep the pick or trade down.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Trading down makes even less sense.

If the scouting department identifies players flying under the radar, then you do it. I don't think this draft is as weak as everyone says. I think it's the fact that there are no generational players at the top like the last two.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Also gives us some great center depth.

Duchenne, Zajac, Zacha, McLeod.

Also gives us plenty of flexibility to move one to wing if needed too.

Doubt the pick alone gets it done. I wouldn't add anything either.

Colorado is basically in a full rebuild at this point, I could see them biting on our first + their 3rd back or something along those lines.

I personally don't think Duchene has much more value than that; it depends on whether they'd rather swap him 1 for 1 for an established NHL defender or use our pick to draft Liljegren on top of Patrick/Hischier.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Colorado is basically in a full rebuild at this point, I could see them biting on our first + their 3rd back or something along those lines.

I personally don't think Duchene has much more value than that; it depends on whether they'd rather swap him 1 for 1 for an established NHL defender or use our pick to draft Liljegren on top of Patrick/Hischier.

I have a hard time believing they would get a fair value roster player back for their kids.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I have a hard time believing they would get a fair value roster player back for their kids.

I agree, which is why I think Duchene will most likely be moved for futures.

They basically have to move him, that bridge has already been burned; their best bet for a meaningful return was always going to be at the draft.

A top 5 pick + a 3rd / B prospect probably gets it done.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don't know, I'd probably keep the pick and invest all upcoming money in established defenders.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The only player you trade the first rounder for -- even if it's one overall -- that could conceivably be available is Tavares, and even that should cause some hesitation, given that you'll have to give him at least eight years eighty million and he has something of an injury history.

Duchene has had a disastrous year -- Henrique has put up better numbers than him. It's 50/50 whether someone like Patrick is better than him right out of the gate, and whether someone like Mittlestadt is better than him in a couple of years. No thanks.

I would throw a ton of money at Shattenkirk.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only player you trade the first rounder for -- even if it's one overall -- that could conceivably be available is Tavares, and even that should cause some hesitation, given that you'll have to give him at least eight years eighty million and he has something of an injury history.

Duchene has had a disastrous year -- Henrique has put up better numbers than him. It's 50/50 whether someone like Patrick is better than him right out of the gate, and whether someone like Mittlestadt is better than him in a couple of years. No thanks.

I would throw a ton of money at Shattenkirk.

If it's a top 2 pick, keep the pick and forget Duchene.

If it's the third overall or later, trade it for Duchene.

He had a bad year, but he's only 26 years old and likely not declining. No one on their team had a good year. Just look at all their point totals, no one has produced up to their career par this season there.

They're having a historically bad year, even the good players are horribly underachieving this year.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Moving that pick for Duchene is a disaster. Will that player be better than Duchene? Probably not. Will that player have to be paid $8M per in 2019 and be moving out of his prime years at that point? No.

Yea, the Devils are not in a position to move that pick for someone so close to UFA

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The question marks around the top 2 picks are alarming. Nico has been ice cold for a while, and Patrick has an alarming injury history.

We are in even less of a position to end up with a bust at a pick this early. If you can get a young 1C for it, you trade the pick. This simply isn't like the last two drafts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If it's a top 2 pick, keep the pick and forget Duchene.

If it's the third overall or later, trade it for Duchene.

He had a bad year, but he's only 26 years old and likely not declining. No one on their team had a good year. Just look at all their point totals, no one has produced up to their career par this season there.

They're having a historically bad year, even the good players are horribly underachieving this year.

Duchene has been in the league 8 years already. He's probably had his best season. And he's already pretty expensive and will become more so.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The question marks around the top 2 picks are alarming. Nico has been ice cold for a while, and Patrick has an alarming injury history.

We are in even less of a position to end up with a bust at a pick this early. If you can get a young 1C for it, you trade the pick. This simply isn't like the last two drafts.

Matt Duchene is not young. He is 26. Forwards typically peak in scoring before 26. Trading for him with the Devils 1st round pick would be a large mistake.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly, I think I'd rather use that pick to trade for a defenseman than a forward (not that I'm advocating trading what is hopefully a top 5 pick). Duchene would be nice, but if we then miss out on Shattenkirk, who is getting our forwards the puck? Greene isn't getting any younger and there's really nothing in the pipeline that'll be ready in the next couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->