Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe they should implement a similar rule with NCAA players. Maybe after three years instead of two.

I imagine the NCAA would be very pissed though.

The thing is you can't do that with NCAA players because it obviously voids their eligibility.

It's a slippery slope and there's no logical solution. I guess one could be that if a team signs a player that was drafted, then they owe compensation regardless. Even that becomes a slippery slope as to where you draw the line.

Can you elaborate on that? I've never heard this story but always wondered what happened to him.

Typically, as Triumph said on the previous page, NHL teams draft CHL players in their draft years and if they don't sign them within two years, they are eligible to re-enter the draft. Connor Bleackley is a notable case of this, where Arizona didn't sign him after receiving him in a trade from Colorado.

The thing with Myles Bell is he was drafted in his +1 year. So in 2 years, the Devils still held his rights, but at this point, he was ineligible for the CHL (or his team may not have wanted him for the overage season). So he was at a point where he couldn't play in the CHL, but his rights were still held by the Devils.

His only real options were either sign with whatever the Devils gave him, go overseas, or go to CIS. Devils refused to offer him a 3 year ELC and would only offer him a one-year AHL deal. He eventually decided to take it had a poor year and the Devils cut ties with him.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I suck at this, and at work cam up with this for next year. Rip it apart.

tMU6Q9D.png

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Typically, as Triumph said on the previous page, NHL teams draft CHL players in their draft years and if they don't sign them within two years, they are eligible to re-enter the draft. Connor Bleackley is a notable case of this, where Arizona didn't sign him after receiving him in a trade from Colorado.

The thing with Myles Bell is he was drafted in his +1 year. So in 2 years, the Devils still held his rights, but at this point, he was ineligible for the CHL (or his team may not have wanted him for the overage season). So he was at a point where he couldn't play in the CHL, but his rights were still held by the Devils.

His only real options were either sign with whatever the Devils gave him, go overseas, or go to CIS. Devils refused to offer him a 3 year ELC and would only offer him a one-year AHL deal. He eventually decided to take it had a poor year and the Devils cut ties with him.

Bell was drafted in his draft year+2 season. So he already had his overage season the year after he was drafted and then was offered the AHL deal. As it stands, he's now playing in what looks like some kind of semi-pro league in Canada.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Critics of Brodin will say his #'s are not that impressive, whether we are talking his possession, but certainly his offensive output.

He also seems to get banged up a bit.

Imo, what we need are top pairing d-men. I think a true #1 lhd would change the complexion of our D considerably. I don't think Brodin is that guy. He'd be an improvement, I think he could make sense in planning for the future where Greene is no longer a top 4 d-man, but I don't see him as a big time difference maker.

Adding a Brodin or a guy like Josh Manson plus signing Shattenkirk would make a world of difference. Then adding a bit of talent to our bottom six and we could be in good shape to be make a big jump next season. We definitely need to address right wing though. That is our most pressing need after defense. We have Palmeri who is clearly a top 6 RW and Bennett who I think is probably a 3rd line guy but has injury concerns. We need to add there for sure. Both bottom six and a top six guy eventually.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Friedman's comment is kinda funny about Shattenkirk an us

It would not surprise me in the least if New Jersey is a team that goes out there and just throws bags of money at him and says, ‘Turn us down.’”

he does mention though he does believe it's Shattenkirk's intent to be a Ranger.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

It would not surprise me in the least if New Jersey is a team that goes out there and just throws bags of money at him and says, ‘Turn us down.’â€

he does mention though he does believe it's Shattenkirk's intent to be a Ranger.

What was the comment?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

If I remember right, Bell also was horribly out of shape when he was supposed to report. I don't remember whether it was Albany or the ECHL team.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't know how the Rangers could even afford Shatty unless he takes a discount or they trade one of their young guns to free up cap space. They only have 9 forwards under contract for next season

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know how the Rangers could even afford Shatty unless he takes a discount or they trade one of their young guns to free up cap space. They only have 9 forwards under contract for next season

They can just squeeze him in at 7 if some of their other negotiations go their way too. It would be really tight.

That or they find someone to take Nash.

I think it will take $8 plus some big bonuses as well. Basically a brinks truck

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
They can just squeeze him in at 7 if some of their other negotiations go their way too. It would be really tight.

That or they find someone to take Nash.

I think it will take $8 plus some big bonuses as well. Basically a brinks truck

He's not eligible for any bonuses. He would have to be 35+ and take a 1-year deal.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014

It would not surprise me in the least if New Jersey is a team that goes out there and just throws bags of money at him and says, ‘Turn us down.’â€

Makes sense .. Devils need a guy like Shatty badly and have money to spend. At worst we make a hated rival pay more for his services if he in fact turns us down.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Makes sense .. Devils need a guy like Shatty badly and have money to spend. At worst we make a hated rival pay more for his services if he in fact turns us down.

I just don't see us going the UFA route for an offensive minded dman. We have a boat load of picks, I see us trading a combination of 17 and 18 picks to get a younger player.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
3 out of 4 ESPN expansion mock drafts have Vegas taking Lovejoy

We can only hope.

I said at the time of the Prout trade that there was a handshake agreement with Vegas that they would take Lovejoy. We probably wanted Prout back as he is signed for cheap next year in the last year of his deal. He also brings a physical presence most of our d corps doesn't and can sit in the stands for long stretches. Santini will simply take Lovejoys spot next year. That has been my theory since the trade and I only believe it more now.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I just don't see us going the UFA route for an offensive minded dman. We have a boat load of picks, I see us trading a combination of 17 and 18 picks to get a younger player.

We have to trade or sign one. If we draft one they could easily take 3-4 years just to be NHL ready.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We have to trade or sign one. If we draft one they could easily take 3-4 years just to be NHL ready.

Exactly, with the expansion draft a trade makes way more sense. Plus, we haven't been very active in free agency and I really don't see that changing now. I am sure they want to continue to develop internally.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Shatty would be pretty dumb to take a discount on a long term deal from the Rangers over the Devils. Strong possibility Devils are better in three years. You can still live in NYC.

Then again players love the Gahhden for some strange reason.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Shatty would be pretty dumb to take a discount on a long term deal from the Rangers over the Devils. Strong possibility Devils are better in three years. You can still live in NYC.

Sitting in traffic for two hours on the BQE and he'll finally realize he's made it to Rangerstown. I could see that being written in a Players Tribune article....

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bell was drafted in his draft year+2 season. So he already had his overage season the year after he was drafted and then was offered the AHL deal. As it stands, he's now playing in what looks like some kind of semi-pro league in Canada.

Wasn't sure if it was draft +1 or draft +2, but the point remains that the Devils basically strong-armed him into an AHL deal and he had very little rights.

If I remember right, Bell also was horribly out of shape when he was supposed to report. I don't remember whether it was Albany or the ECHL team.

I believe that did happen, but that was likely well after he signed the contract.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said at the time of the Prout trade that there was a handshake agreement with Vegas that they would take Lovejoy. We probably wanted Prout back as he is signed for cheap next year in the last year of his deal. He also brings a physical presence most of our d corps doesn't and can sit in the stands for long stretches. Santini will simply take Lovejoys spot next year. That has been my theory since the trade and I only believe it more now.

This would be awesome if it were true, but I'm highly doubtful it is.

Easy to say as a Devils fan, but from the outside looking in, I would understand if he goes with the proven team in NY rather than hoping Devils are good in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad