Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The way Minnesota has mortgaged it's future they might be happy with ANY futures coming back. Their pipeline is pretty barren outside of Eriksson-Ek and Tuch, and they've lost a lot of picks.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Realistically what would it take to get Brodin? I couldn't even guess. I certainly wouldn't give up a 1st and it would really sting to give up McLeod...But Minnesota is in a bit of a bind so they may have to settle.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The way Minnesota has mortgaged it's future they might be happy with ANY futures coming back. Their pipeline is pretty barren outside of Eriksson-Ek and Tuch, and they've lost a lot of picks.

That is the complete opposite of true, the world juniors were a Wild infomercial. They have a lot of prospects.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

That is the complete opposite of true, they are loaded. The world juniors were a Wild infomercial.

Wild are very top heavy in the prospect pool, but I'd rather have four guys with top-end potential then a bunch of guys with ok potential.

Eriksson-Ek, Tuch, Kaprizov, and Kunin are their notable guys. Plus the entire core of the NHL team is still very young.

Last edited:

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Wild are very top heavy in the prospect pool, but I'd rather have four guys with top-end potential then a bunch of guys with ok potential.

Eriksson-Ek, Tuch, Kaprizov, and Kunin are their three notable guys. Plus the entire core of the NHL team is still very young.

Outside of that Parise guy you mean.

I wouldn't worry about Minnesota. They are sort of like the Rangers. Once you've got a big enough core of youngsters who can play and you can afford to pay them then you don't have to worry so much about picks/prospects for awhile. Of course having them isn't bad either.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Been saying it since they landed Parise and Suter...as long as the Blackhawks have their core the Wild will never get past them

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Been saying it since they landed Parise and Suter...as long as the Blackhawks have their core the Wild will never get past them

Those big contracts given to Toews and Kane have really killed the Blackhawks. Why would Chicago pay them all that mo..... What's that? Best record in the Western Conference? Third best overall? Never mind.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Those big contracts given to Toews and Kane have really killed the Blackhawks. Why would Chicago pay them all that mo..... What's that? Best record in the Western Conference? Third best overall? Never mind.

They've done an amazing job keeping that team highly competitive year in and year out. Hawks are a machine, and to do it in a cap era is very impressive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah the Hawks are the NHL anomaly like the Pats are the NFL anomaly. They can shed guys like Byfuglien, Teravainen, etc and still churn out cheap replacements for them. It's not exactly a realistic model, it's just insane how good it works. Even the Kings are finally starting to pay the price for years of contending.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What the Hawks have built is certainly impressive. However, even with the addition of Panarin to a great team, the cracks are starting to show. Hossa and Keith are signed to contracts that would be illegal under the current system and that may jam up their cap for years after they are gone. Kane and Toews are nearing 30, Keith is 34 this year, Hossa is 38. I suspect that while the Hawks will be quite good for the foreseeable future, their days of winning or competing for Cups may be ending soon without another Panarin-like find.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is nuts How Chicago has managed this. They keep getting into cap trouble and always weasel out of it. It isn't a repeatable formula for sure because of the amount of luck you need.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
It is nuts How Chicago has managed this. They keep getting into cap trouble and always weasel out of it. It isn't a repeatable formula for sure because of the amount of luck you need.

Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL looked the other way for them, they're the darling franchise after all

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The NHL has too many loopholes that favor the better teams.

A team like Chicago should not be able to sign Panerin.

It should be like waivers, go in reverse order and give each team chance to sign him.

The Vesey loophole needs to be addressed too.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The NHL has too many loopholes that favor the better teams.

A team like Chicago should not be able to sign Panerin.

It should be like waivers, go in reverse order and give each team chance to sign him.

How do these loopholes favor better teams? Every team has a right to sign UFAs. The salary cap and 50 contract limit still apply. There's no ability for richer teams to pay more, or better teams to get first shot.

And, why does the Vesey loophole need to be addressed? As a college player, you were drafted, risked 4 years of potential injury / poor play with no contract, then played well enough that you earned the right to choose where you want to play.

I'd see your argument if you felt that every player should have 1 year to sign, then would need to go back into the draft pool for 3 - 4 years, after which they'd be UFA. But, the way it is now, teams have all the leverage.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How do these loopholes favor better teams? Every team has a right to sign UFAs. The salary cap and 50 contract limit still apply. There's no ability for richer teams to pay more, or better teams to get first shot.

And, why does the Vesey loophole need to be addressed. ? As a college player, you were drafted, risked 4 years of potential injury / poor play with no contract, then played well enough that you earned the right to choose where you want to play.

I'd see your argument if you felt that every player should have 1 year to sign, then would need to go back into the draft pool for 3 - 4 years, after which they'd be UFA. But, the way it is now, teams have all the leverage.

The Panerins and Veseys are not signing with us or Zona.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
We got Rafalski once upon a time when he was widely considered the best player not playing in the NHL.

I just hate seeing the rags trade away pick after pick but still luck out with FAs like Hayes and Vesey. Thankfully Vesey really doesn't look like he's going to be anything great.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
We got Rafalski once upon a time when he was widely considered the best player not playing in the NHL.

I just hate seeing the rags trade away pick after pick but still luck out with FAs like Hayes and Vesey. Thankfully Vesey really doesn't look like he's going to be anything great.
He has some talent but he's nothing special which is the point. Most of the really good college kids won't spend four years in college...they play a year or two then take the money and get their careers started.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It's not a loophole.

Teams hold rights of players for four years after they're drafted (with the exception of 18 year old CHL players who can re-enter the draft in two years).Teams don't have to sign players in that four years and players don't have to sign with their teams. It's unfortunate when you lose a player, but this isn't some Van Ryn loophole.

There are far greater examples of teams having an unfair amount of power then players having the flexibility to choose their careers until the age of 27. Devils essentially strongarmed Myles Bell into signing an AHL deal because they didn't want to sign him to an ELC.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
It's not a loophole.

Teams hold rights of players for four years after they're drafted (with the exception of 18 year old CHL players who can re-enter the draft in two years).Teams don't have to sign players in that four years and players don't have to sign with their teams. It's unfortunate when you lose a player, but this isn't some Van Ryn loophole.

There are far greater examples of teams having an unfair amount of power then players having the flexibility to choose their careers until the age of 27. Devils essentially strongarmed Myles Bell into signing an AHL deal because they didn't want to sign him to an ELC.

Quick question then - why does this always happen with collegiate players?

I guess no junior player wants to stay in juniors until he's 22, traveling around on buses in the Canadian wilderness. A kid in college will get a degree and enjoy the celebratory campus life, which is why it's an easier decision to stay there for four years than juniors.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Quick question then - why does this always happen with collegiate players?

I guess no junior player wants to stay in juniors until he's 22, traveling around on buses in the Canadian wilderness. A kid in college will get a degree and enjoy the celebratory campus life, which is why it's an easier decision to stay there for four years than juniors.

A junior player is eligible for a re-draft after 2 years. Normally they'll sign with the team that drafts them a 2nd time, otherwise they basically have to go to Europe or sign in the ECHL or something in order to become a free agent like college players do.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
A junior player is eligible for a re-draft after 2 years. Normally they'll sign with the team that drafts them a 2nd time, otherwise they basically have to go to Europe or sign in the ECHL or something in order to become a free agent like college players do.

Maybe they should implement a similar rule with NCAA players. Maybe after three years instead of two.

I imagine the NCAA would be very pissed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad