GDT: 2017 NHL Draft - With The 2nd Overall Pick, The Philadelphia Flyers Select... (Pt. 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I really want Nolan/Nico, so I think I would be more mad if we drafted someone different then trading down for a good haul

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
yeah, "leaking" this kind of info doesn't do anything for the pick's trade value.
Hextall keeps the ship so tight. On his biggest day as GM of the Philadelphia Flyers.... out of the blue.... Kyle Scott is now leaking Flyers info?

No buys. Stay in your lane, Kyle Scott.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Vegas are taking Patrick at #1 anyway.

That would be the most exciting outcome.

It could happend. Something like #6, #15, and Methot for 1OV. Then NJ uses one of those picks to get Galchenyuk.

They add a top 4 D, a decently young skilled forward, and draft a good prospect...all if which they need.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
So if he does have someone on the inside, why would the source leak that info?

It only hurts the Flyers stance to let everyone in the world know that the Flyers are afraid of his injuries and don't wanna take him. It takes away from their leverage.

Not really, though. Draft picks aren't valued based on what the team trading the pick thinks of their options; they're valued based on what the team acquiring the pick thinks of those options. The team trading the pick, by definition, has a lower valuation than the acquiring team, otherwise they wouldn't be trading it in the first place. If the Flyers are trading the pick, it's self evident that they don't think that highly of their options (relative to other ones at least).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't help but wonder what Hextall would have done if he had won the 3rd pick. Probably trade down and get a nice haul.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Pettersson, Glass, and Vilardi are pretty interesting players. Adding a player like Chytil or Yamamoto on top of any of the previous three would be a haul.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I had a feeling, though, that if they saw anything they didn't like in that health eval of Patrick that they'd move #2 if NJ took Nico. IF they saw anything. No sources, obviously, but IF they saw something.

#2 is too good of an asset to use on something you aren't confident in. If that's the case, there's no doubt in my mind that Hextall already has a deal in place.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I genuinely don't have that much preference between Nico, Nolan, or trading down to ~6 for a big haul. I value those options pretty evenly, so I'm going to be pretty sanguine regardless of the outcome. A part of me just wants to trade so The Madrigal's head explodes.

The only outcome that would moderately disappoint me is if we keep #2 and don't take Patrick or Hischier. But even then, I think the difference is close enough that I would give Hextall the benefit of the doubt. I can't remember a draft where I've been so okay with all the options.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Right that they wanted a really good pass rusher? Listen to BGN, they were saying that for months. Most people didn't think Barnett would even fall to the Eagles.

Not that it was an impressive prediction as they were heavily rumored to love him, but Barnett was 14-20 almost everywhere in the draft mainstream, most commonly 14 to the Eagles or 16 to Baltimore. There was no draft day fall.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
For me, I'm just so tired of reading/hearing about the mythical "haul"
I know this is Hockey's Future where draft picks are diamonds and gold, but for ****'s sakes, we have a shot at a 1C and we have a serious need for a 1C. Not a likely 2C, not a maybe if things go right he could be a 1C but probably a 2C, but a prospect who has legit 1C upside.

We have not had an opportunity to draft a prospect with legit 1C upside in forever. Quality over quantity. Every time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There were rumors the Flyers were going to trade up in 2011 when we had the 8th pick from the Carter trade. There are rumors every year for every team in the top 10.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I want Nico, Mrazek, and one of Glass/Andersson/Yamamoto when all is said and done. Don't care if Schenn has to leave. :)

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I know this is Hockey's Future where draft picks are diamonds and gold, but for ****'s sakes, we have a shot at a 1C and we have a serious need for a 1C. Not a likely 2C, not a maybe if things go right he could be a 1C but probably a 2C, but a prospect who has legit 1C upside.

We have not had an opportunity to draft a prospect with legit 1C upside in forever. Quality over quantity. Every time.
Completely agree. We may never get an opportunity like this again.
Trading it away for quantity could be an unforgivable mistake by Hextall.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Both Glass and Pettersson are projectable 1Cs. The point of trading back is getting another high upside forward prospect+

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Gimme Nico or Nolan or Gimme Death

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Face it, we don't really know how good any of these player are, we haven't scouted them extensively and relative to the other players in the draft or on the Flyers roster and talent pipeline.

That is, Hextall is in much better position to make an informed guess (which is what drafting, and draft trades are essentially). Now with Holmgren, I'd have no faith in him making the right move, he was so erratic as a GM and didn't value picks or prospects. But Hextall has an excellent track record, so I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's going to make the best decision given the information he has in front of hm.

Anyway it doesn't matter because our best player out of this draft is going to be one of the Swedes we take in the 4th rd. :yo:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

If the Flyers are trading back, it's because they value the player they're taking in that spot just as highly as the player available to them at #2. Don't assume that trading back means the team is accepting a player they consider inferior for the sake of "the haul". I know it's unthinkable to some people to have anyone but Nico/Nolan in the top two, but I guarantee there are more scouts who do than some people believe.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't have a problem with a haul if its an overpayment and there is a top 6 pick involved. I have a problem if were using the 2nd pick to get rid of cap dumps like some people I have seen suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad