Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Unfortunately, with his reticence to come to North America he's exceedingly unlikely to be a consideration for Carolina or any other team that actually needs the help sooner than later. Very similar to Kuznetsov's situation. While the Capitals did eventually get him to come over, they spent several years hand wringing over him. The biggest issue with Russian players is the limitations of the ELC. I know it's a very pro-player stance, but the structure of entry level contracts in the NHL are the least lucrative in pro sports. When players will have to take pay cuts to come to play in the NHL and have to play under the same contract for 3 years regardless of what their performance dictates, it can be an attractive option to stay in Russia and take merit pay. People can get very anti-Russian over that due to feeling the NHL has an entitlement to the world's best players, but sometimes the situation at home is too good to come play out those 3 years right away. I don't think Carolina is interested in playing that game. He'll go to a team that doesn't need the immediate help and can afford to wait an indefinite amount of time for his decision.

My sense is the bigger fear is the shoulder injury that he didn't seem to recover from.

I don't know if it changes anything, but I think I saw a quote from the combine where Kostin said he would be coming to NA next season. Just seems like him and Vesalainen are kind of similar big skilled wingers that had disappointing seasons but still a lot of potential. I don't know what will happen I just feel like we'll miss out on the high upside centers like Suzuki, pettersson, and necas.

Yes, I saw that too. If he's still there in the 2nd round, maybe. But, I'd be just as interested in taking a flyer late in the second or early in the 3rd if Adam Ruzicka was still on the board. He's essentially the same player, played a year in NA, and actually came on in his last 25 or so games.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think people are going to be very disappointed. I think a lot of teams are just going to sit on their hands and "only lose one" for fear of making a bad trade and then losing another.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think people are going to be very disappointed. I think a lot of teams are just going to sit on their hands and "only lose one" for fear of making a bad trade and then losing another.

Might be true for the ED round, but Vegas has said that any exposed player is up for auction. There has also been rumblings that some surprising players could be exposed. Meaning all those "only one lost" pieces will be available for trade.

Vegas will likely be very interested in prospects and high picks that can play sooner rather than later. Maybe a guy like Neal is exposed and the Canes pay the 12 OA for Vegas to select and trade him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I think there may be some truth to that, especially with teams that look to only lose one good player and the rest of the roster is tight. But some teams are just in a bad position because of the expansion draft AND because of cap issues. Those are the teams that are likely to play.

As much as I think Minnesota had resigned themselves to losing a blueliner, once Granny and Nino had the seasons they just had, some posterior tightening likely took place. They realized that they could be in trouble. There are a couple of other teams in similar situations. The question is do we have what it takes to make that deal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think there may be some truth to that, especially with teams that look to only lose one good player and the rest of the roster is tight. But some teams are just in a bad position because of the expansion draft AND because of cap issues. Those are the teams that are likely to play.

As much as I think Minnesota had resigned themselves to losing a blueliner, once Granny and Nino had the seasons they just had, some posterior tightening likely took place. They realized that they could be in trouble. There are a couple of other teams in similar situations. The question is do we have what it takes to make that deal.

I think the Wild will do what the Ducks have apparently done and just negotiate with Vegas directly and pay a smaller price to get an acceptable pick vs make a trade with another team and still lose a player.

I'm leaning 70%/30% toward us using our 1st round pick.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Might be true for the ED round, but Vegas has said that any exposed player is up for auction. There has also been rumblings that some surprising players could be exposed. Meaning all those "only one lost" pieces will be available for trade.

Vegas will likely be very interested in prospects and high picks that can play sooner rather than later. Maybe a guy like Neal is exposed and the Canes pay the 12 OA for Vegas to select and trade him.

In that case why wouldn't Nashville just skip Vegas and trade him straight to the Canes for the 12th OA?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In that case why wouldn't Nashville just skip Vegas and trade him straight to the Canes for the 12th OA?

Yeah, but it depends on who they would then lose after trading Neal. I don't know their expansion draft status, but I assume they are doing 4 D and 4F so I assume the are protecting Forsberg, Johansen, Arvidsson and one of Neal, Smith, Wilson and Jarnkrock.

Trading Neal would mean they lose two forwards and have a 12 OA in return. For a team that was just in the SCF, that might not be the right approach vs. losing 1 forward and moving on.

Hard to tell.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Was responding to the idea that teams will just stand pat and lose their one good guy rather than try to deal around. Vegas has already said that every non-protected player is available for a price. In that scenario there may be a couple Neal-type guys floating around. Even a guy like Bobby Ryan may be interesting.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Does trading a first round pick for 1 year of James Neal sound very Francis-like?

Don't think so.

I literally just found that out too and was about to write something similar haha. Doesn't seem like a move Ronnie would make unless an extension could be made, but we know that doesn't happen much.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, but it depends on who they would then lose after trading Neal. I don't know their expansion draft status, but I assume they are doing 4 D and 4F so I assume the are protecting Forsberg, Johansen, Arvidsson and one of Neal, Smith, Wilson and Jarnkrock.

Trading Neal would mean they lose two forwards and have a 12 OA in return. For a team that was just in the SCF, that might not be the right approach vs. losing 1 forward and moving on.

Hard to tell.

I actually think the "leave Neal unprotected" thing has more to do with keeping their Top 4 defenders together than anything else. It feels like a decision that is both based in finances (Neal's contract coming up next season) as well as making a calculated decision as to what part of the team they need to keep in tact. They've go Yakov Trenin waiting in the wings and while he might not be totally ready he's talented and has similar size. They've also got Tyler Moy who they picked up out of the college ranks. Both of these guys are likely potential fall back positions. The reality is the Preds might want to do something with either Smith or Wilson. Both are aging and neither is a significant point producer recently. My guess is Nashville will be pretty active this off season. They were very close. An add here or there could put them right back in the finals.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's the extent of your take from this writeup..a single typo..that you feel has to be copied and pasted into this forum to show how smart you are? Lots of anal folks out there. Good lord is right.

Lighten up. If you can't take criticism for even the smallest of mistakes, then maybe you picked the wrong field. You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression and it was the opening line of your article. Lastly, that's quite the bedside manner you have for a guy trying to get people to read (and buy) his stuff.

EDIT: I skipped down to the comments and see that the article originally said Calgary in the first line also. :laugh:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
No offense, but that article is incredibly poorly written. Entire paragraphs are composed of one single run-on sentence, spelling and grammatical errors etc.

The Hurricanes have spent three relatively picks on goalie prospect in recent years, but none of them are surefire NHLers, and given that they have another ten picks this draft they will likely draft at least one more netminder, perhaps with one of the late second- or early third-round picks, depending on which ones are left and whether the svouting staff thinhs there is a potential starter still on the board at that point.

Your bio says you've been involved in hockey for 30 years as an editor, writer, publisher etc. Surely you can do better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad