Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
McKenzie said the Rangers list was Pettersson, Glass, Andersson, Suzuki.

Didn't mention order, but would imagine it was exactly that order.

Pettersson and Glass were gone by the time the Rangers were picking. Andersson was next highest.

1 + 1 = 2

Most of the time, the easiest answer is the correct one.

Occams Razor doesn't exist here.

Reactions: Rongomania

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
I don't think the guys drafted after Lias have done much better than him, if at all:

- Mittelstadt's scoring rate and corsi in the NHL have only been a little bit better and he's played with much better linemates than Lias did and gotten significant PP time
- Rasmussen wasn't in the top 20 in PPG in the WHL last year and has been pretty quiet in the NHL this year
- Tippett's still in the OHL and is only 20th in the league in scoring. Andersson actually ranks higher among U21 players in PPG in the AHL than Tippett does in the OHL
- Vilardi's injuries seem like they could be a big deal
- Necas has scored at a slightly higher rate than Andersson in the AHL, but he's on the best team in the AHL while Andersson's on a team that's going to miss the playoffs
- Nick Suzuki's only been a little better than Tippett
- It seems like Cal Foote has been ok in the AHL, but nothing special
- Valimaki was pretty quiet in the NHL before getting hurt
- Liljegren seems to have regressed from last year in the AHL
- Vaakanainan doesn't look any better than Andersson in the AHL

Out of the next 12 picks, I think the only guy who's obviously been better than Lias is Brannstrom. Then you have Robert Thomas, who 12 other teams passed on and Chytil, who we took.

Tolvanen, Vesalainan, Frost, and Jokiharju all look good at the end of the draft, but:
- Tolvanen's been worse than Andersson in the AHL this year
- Vesalainan couldn't stick in the NHL this year and left for the KHL
- Frost is still in a junior league
- Jokiharju seemed to be struggling in the NHL the last game the Rangers played the Blackhawks

Batherson, who was passed over 120 times and came out of nowhere is probably the only other guy who clearly goes ahead of Andersson, but he's cooled off a lot after his great start to the season.

So out of the 210 guys drafted after Andersson, it seems to me like there are only 3-4 who have been clearly been better than him (1 of whom we drafted) and Andersson is in somewhere in the group of the best 10-15 players after that. We'll be able to judge the pick much better in 5 years, but based on how everyone else has performed so far it seems like very reasonable pick to me.
Wow! Thank you that information. Perfect

Reactions: Vinny

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That was gruesome, he frigging slides/grinds what is likely a compound fracture across the ice with his full body weight pushing down on it. Just holy ****

The morbid side of me is like "The made of Glass jokes write themselves"

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
One to two weeks is amazing turnaround. I had a similar injury that kept me off the ice for six weeks and lingered long after.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I wanted Glass.

Knew he was high on the Rangers list. Just wasn't quite sure where.

Just behind Petterson, right?

Which... yeah. Yeah I am cool with that call. Really can't go wrong with either of them but Petterson is, well, ridiculous.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just behind Petterson, right?

Which... yeah. Yeah I am cool with that call. Really can't go wrong with either of them but Petterson is, well, ridiculous.

I liked Petterson but wasn't quite sure he'd become what he has. I expected him to be very good --- I didn't expect him to be as good as he's been thus far.

Looking at him then, and in his subsequent WJC, there were areas that were good but not necessarily great.

But he's taken it up a level IMO.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
tbh, at this point I hope he turns out to be a dope bottom-6 player.

Obviously it's early and he has lots of work ahead. he's not a bust, but I can't see him sniffing a top-6 NHL role.

Maybe he should've stayed in Sweden another full year. Repeat the championship, idk.

edit: I wanted Petterson

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I wanted Suzuki, but Lias is a NY Ranger, so hoping he kicks butt and takes names.

Don't ever see him in a top 6 role, but I do think he can be successful as 3rd 4th line role.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I wanted Suzuki, but Lias is a NY Ranger, so hoping he kicks butt and takes names.

Don't ever see him in a top 6 role, but I do think he can be successful as 3rd 4th line role.
Yupp. I wanted Liljegren/Brannstrom at that spot. I also think Lias will be nothing more than a great bottom 6 player, but I hope he proves me wrong. He hasn’t done that yet, as something tells me if he really was destined to be a top 6 center, he wouldn’t be in Hartford right now. His upside is already limited, and not being NHL-ready yet is concerning. The thing is, I usually don’t give up on players so early, but I hated the Lias pick from day 1. I’ll admit it. Oh well. Can’t win them all.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yupp. I wanted Liljegren/Brannstrom at that spot. I also think Lias will be nothing more than a great bottom 6 player, but I hope he proves me wrong. He hasn’t done that yet, as something tells me if he really was destined to be a top 6 center, he wouldn’t be in Hartford right now. His upside is already limited, and not being NHL-ready yet is concerning. The thing is, I usually don’t give up on players so early, but I hated the Lias pick from day 1. I’ll admit it. Oh well. Can’t win them all.
How about we let him play a year or two in NA and maybe get to the legal drinking age before he is declared a bust?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m just stating my opinion of what I think he’ll probably become. Like I said, I hope I’m proven wrong.
That's the point. Isn't it a bit early to be coming to such conclusions? The kid cannot have a beer legally and suddenly he is not going to live up to his potential? What were you expecting from him realistically?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad