Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
This is pointless. There are what, 2-3 players selected after Andersson that are getting regular time in the NHL? Does that mean the entire 2017 draft is disappointing and will produce only 2-3 NHL players outside of the top 7, let alone first line players or stars?

Or maybe it means that everyone is still developing, including Andersson, and it's a bit early to write off someone who has 18 pts in 27 AHL games in his first season a bust, or even disappointing?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Here’s another quote:

“When the New York Rangers selected Swedish center Lias Andersson with the seventh-overall pick in the 2017 draft, there was an expectation that he was NHL-ready. After trading away Derek Stepan, the Rangers were thin at center and hoped Andersson could step in immediately.”

The first one was from NHL.com, and this one is from Blue Line Station.

And another quote:
“With their first selection in the 2017 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers selected Lias Andersson with the seventh overall pick. Andersson is versatile in the sense that he can play all three forward positions and is considered one of the “safer” picks in this draft. Andersson suited up for HV71 of the Swedish Elite League last season, where he put up 19 points in 42 appearances, including five points in an additional 16 playoff games.”

One more:

“Obviously this pick was a bit of a surprise with the Rangers going off the board especially with someone like Gabriel Vilardi still being available. Based on various draft rankings, Lias Andersson was expected to go anywhere between pick 10 and 20, so the Rangers did reach a bit but this was obviously someone they have targeted for a while.”
None of this tells us what the Rangers thought. Yes, he was considered a safe pick, but that was not necessarily because they thought he could start as a 19 year old.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
None of this tells us what the Rangers thought. Yes, he was considered a safe pick, but that was not necessarily because they thought he could start as a 19 year old.
Did you read my post before this? Gordie Clark said he thought he would be NHL-ready after his D+1 season.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If Lias played junior hockey this year, nobody would be asking these questions.

I will just throw this out there again:

This is hilarious. NHL games? Really? Jesper Fast and Cody McLeod have played more NHL games than Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, and Igor Shestyorkin. Does that make them better?

Once again, more NHL games does not mean you will become the better player.

Talk about misleading statistics.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is hilarious. NHL games? Really? Jesper Fast and Cody McLeod have played more NHL games than Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, and Igor Shestyorkin. Does that make them better?

Oh my god. Are you really not getting the point I am trying to make here?

IT IS TOO EARLY TO REALLY JUDGE HIM!!! And this comparison makes more sense than the BS you are responding with. Comparing Cody McLeod to Filip Chytil makes no sense. These are players drafted in the same range, and how many NHL games they played as of December in their D+2 season. Clearly you don't read

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

your taking this stat completely out of context....

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Oh my god. Are you really not getting the point I am trying to make here?

IT IS TOO EARLY TO REALLY JUDGE HIM!!!
I know that’s your point, but it’s also fair to say he was a reach and a safe pick, no matter what he becomes. Whether that’s a 1st liner or a 4th liner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yeah. I'm done. I don't have time for this much ignorance. I divorced my wife to get away from endless discussions.
Lol whatever, man. I’m the one that said I hope I’m proven wrong. I never said he won’t become this kind of player. Just that I seriously doubt it. It’s too early to judge him, but that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
So how has Lias looked in the AHL and what has led you to believe that a 20 yr old averaging .667 points per game on a bad team is going to be a disappointment with little chance of playing in the top 6?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I know that’s your point, but it’s also fair to say he was a reach and a safe pick, no matter what he becomes. Whether that’s a 1st liner or a 4th liner.
If you know that was his point then why did you respond as if you completely missed the context? Given that the Rangers first two targets were off the board and he was the next BPA in their eyes, how was it a reach? How was it a safe pick? How can you have a reach and a safe pick at the same time? That is an oxymoron that might make the universe explode.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The problem a lot of people are having looking at Lias was where he was selected. At 7th overall people were expecting an elite first liner, but since it looks like he wont be that the reaction from some people has become that hes nothing more then a bottom sixer. People need to stop looking at him as a Seventh overall pick and at what Lias is. A good prospect who has top 6 upside.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The problem a lot of people are having looking at Lias was where he was selected. At 7th overall people were expecting an elite first liner, but since it looks like he wont be that the reaction from some people has become that hes nothing more then a bottom sixer. People need to stop looking at him as a Seventh overall pick and at what Lias is. A good prospect who has top 6 upside.

If people expect an elite first liner with a 7th overall pick they will be disappointed 95% of the time. And it shows people don't look at the history of the draft.

Reactions: Miamipuck

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
If people expect an elite first liner with a 7th overall pick they will be disappointed 95% of the time. And it shows people don't look at the history of the draft.
Yep, Im happy with Lias but this negativey stems from the fact he was taken so high. If he was taken where chytil was taken I dont think as many people would be as angry over him

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yep, Im happy with Lias but this negativey stems from the fact he was taken so high. If he was taken where chytil was taken I dont think as many people would be as angry over him
That’s a very good point and finally something I can kind of agree with. I hated the pick, but I honestly don’t hate the player.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t expect 7th overall players to become that. I don’t even expect a 5th overall player to become that. What I don’t like is that Andersson’s upside is probably limited to 2nd liner at best, realistically speaking. I prefer more risky players with 1st line potential (even though they probably won’t get there) and a low floor. Why would you draft safe players so early? You have to shoot for the moon, especially for a team like the Rangers, who are desperate for elite talent. Rangers draft middle six players and sign elite guys (past their prime), when it should be the opposite.

In my opinion, Lias will probably be a very good 3rd liner, maybe a middle 6 center. But like I said over and over again, I would love to be proven wrong.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
"It’s too early to judge him"

"I never said he won’t become this kind of player. Just that I seriously doubt it."

Is that not judging him?
Don’t we do that with literally every damn prospect? Isn’t that the point of hfboards? To compare and discuss upside and potential?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
It just feels like your bias is skewing your perception of where and what he is as a prospect
Doesn’t everyone have at least a little bias? My bias is mainly directed towards where Lias was drafted. Other than that, I like him. I love his character and hockey sense, but I just don’t see him becoming a very good player. I have nothing against him. That’s just what I see.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don’t expect 7th overall players to become that. I don’t even expect a 5th overall player to become that. What I don’t like is that Andersson’s upside is probably limited to 2nd liner at best, realistically speaking. I prefer more risky players with 1st line potential (even though they probably won’t get there) and a low floor. Why would you draft safe players so early? You have to shoot for the moon, especially for a team like the Rangers, who are desperate for elite talent. Rangers draft middle six players and sign elite guys (past their prime), when it should be the opposite.

In my opinion, Lias will probably be a very good 3rd liner, maybe a middle 6 center. But like I said over and over again, I would love to be proven wrong.
That draft was our first draft with a first rounder since 2012 when we took Skjei at 28OA. Yeah, maybe swing for the fences and live with a decent chance of walking away with a total bust if you actually pick there regularly. For our first pick in the first round in five years that might not be the best move.

And you keep dwelling on him being "safe" as if the line on him was that he was a sure fire NHLer ranked at 25OA that we took at 7. He was ranked pretty highly. And it's been widely reported the the office wanted Petterson, then Glass, then Andersson. They took the guy that was available with their pick, they didn't pass on the guys they thought more highly of for the sake of being "safe." Last year it was all about Mittlestadt and how we passed on his dynamic talent, etc. Would you feel better with him given the year he's had on top of his physical shortcomings?

Reactions: Miamipuck

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Doesn’t everyone have at least a little bias? My bias is mainly directed towards where Lias was drafted. Other than that, I like him. I love his character and hockey sense, but I just don’t see him becoming a very good player. I have nothing against him. That’s just what I see.
His draft position has nothing to do with how good he is/isn’t.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
That draft was our first draft with a first rounder since 2012 when we took Skjei at 28OA. Yeah, maybe swing for the fences and live with a decent chance of walking away with a total bust if you actually pick there regularly. For our first pick in the first round in five years that might not be the best move.

And you keep dwelling on him being "safe" as if the line on him was that he was a sure fire NHLer ranked at 25OA that we took at 7. He was ranked pretty highly. And it's been widely reported the the office wanted Petterson, then Glass, then Andersson. They took the guy that was available with their pick, they didn't pass on the guys they thought more highly of for the sake of being "safe." Last year it was all about Mittlestadt and how we passed on his dynamic talent, etc. Would you feel better with him given the year he's had on top of his physical shortcomings?
I would still want Mittelstadt

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Why though? He had a middling college season and is having a very poor NHL season on a team with tons of minutes for grabs.
Maybe so, but for me, I’m kind of like Pronman. Upside, upside, and potential. You can get many guys like Andersson in trades, free agency, and later round draft picks. Guys like Mittelstadt, Liljegren, and Brannstrom you almost always have to draft early. You can’t get these guys as easily in trades and free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad