Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's the thing about Lias. The vocal majority rushed to an extreme side. Extreme hater, or extreme lover. So any time he does something bad, you see all the haters. Anytime he does something good, the lovers come out with the 'BUST!' posts. Without even realizing it, people read the lovers and they're inclined to love, or the haters and they're inclined to hate. The people in the middle, aka probably reality, are drowned out.

Meanwhile, in reality, the Rangers have a pretty nice prospect here who had a very good D+1 season. We can be disappointed that he didn't come to camp in his D+2 year, a guy the FO believed was close in his D+1 year, and grab a spot on the NHL opening night roster. It's no reason to write him off completely as a bust, but there's also no reason to go to the world's end to defend him. He should be "demerited" for not making the team this year, but not to the point where you can call him a bust.

See what he does in the A. See if he forces the team to bring him back.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is what happens when you take a third rounder 7th overall.

McIlrath and Jessiman 2.0.

giphy.gif

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
19 years old.... turning 20 in a few days. Plus a few NHL games in his post draft year. And a goal and assist in that span.

Chill out....

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Wow I can't believe what I am reading from Rangers fans lmao

You guys should be amazed to have Lias as a prospect.

He's your futur captain, top 6 C, 2-way forward, that'll give everything every night. He's also very talentend, but not flashy. Wait until you guys make the playoff. You'll understand why you draft a player like him 7th OV.

With Chytil and Kravstov, they are your futur.

Be humble. The guy is not playing because the Rangers have too many random forward in their top 9 that they need to play (big money and 1-way) like Fast and Vesey.

Otherwise he would already be the 3C with PP and PK time.

But yeah, he's only 19 and turning 20 in 10 days.

You'll be very happy in 3-5 years trust me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Here's the thing about Lias. The vocal majority rushed to an extreme side. Extreme hater, or extreme lover. So any time he does something bad, you see all the haters. Anytime he does something good, the lovers come out with the 'BUST!' posts. Without even realizing it, people read the lovers and they're inclined to love, or the haters and they're inclined to hate. The people in the middle, aka probably reality, are drowned out.

Meanwhile, in reality, the Rangers have a pretty nice prospect here who had a very good D+1 season. We can be disappointed that he didn't come to camp in his D+2 year, a guy the FO believed was close in his D+1 year, and grab a spot on the NHL opening night roster. It's no reason to write him off completely as a bust, but there's also no reason to go to the world's end to defend him. He should be "demerited" for not making the team this year, but not to the point where you can call him a bust.

See what he does in the A. See if he forces the team to bring him back.

I tend to agree, but I'm not really sure if even the lovers projected him to the moon.

Most people who liked the pick, and like Lias as a prospect, tend to view him as a second line center, who would hopefully fill a ROR kind of role. So I don't know if even the more optimistic appraisals were ever really pegging him as the dynamo that the offense would be built around.

The bust posts came as a reaction to some over the top, hot-take reactions. So in that sense, the driving narrative has typically seemed to come from the negative end of the spectrum, with the positive push-back being more of a reaction.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I tend to agree, but I'm not really sure if even the lovers projected him to the moon.

Most people who liked the pick, and like Lias as a prospect, tend to view him as a second line center, who would hopefully fill a ROR kind of role. So I don't know if even the more optimistic appraisals were ever really pegging him as the dynamo that the offense would be built around.

The bust posts came as a reaction to some over the top, hot-take reactions. So in that sense, the driving narrative has typically seemed to come from the negative end of the spectrum, with the positive push-back being more of a reaction.
I don't disagree. One end of the spectrum doesn't exist without the other and they egg each other on incessantly.

Reactions: Edge

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I've said before he looks like a less fighty Brandon Dubinsky, and I'd sign up for that in a second.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not sure about getting a Dubinsky at #7. I'd hope he's better than that.
On the spectrum of Peter Holland to Toews, I'd take a gtd Dubinsky. YMMV. Would it be better if I had said Drury? I'd take that too.

That he was #7 is irrelevant. Hanging that like a stone around his neck is bad for everyone. He didn't draft himself.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lias is at a minimum going to be a great two-way middle 6 center. He’s 19. I have no doubt he has a firm place on this roster by the end of the year. Hayes will be a goner at the deadline and any injury down the middle will warrant a call up. He’s ready, there just isn’t room.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
On the spectrum of Peter Holland to Toews, I'd take a gtd Dubinsky. YMMV. Would it be better if I had said Drury? I'd take that too.

That he was #7 is irrelevant. Hanging that like a stone around his neck is bad for everyone. He didn't draft himself.

I mean it isn't irrelevant. You have to judge a front office in part by how much value they get in the draft.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I think the only reason people are in a panic over him not making the NHL roster is because Chytil made the team and he was picked after him. If they only drafted Andersson in round 1 then it would be a non-issue.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I mean it isn't irrelevant. You have to judge a front office in part by how much value they get in the draft.

The front office, yes, but not the player, which was effen's point.

That said, I think some people have too high of expectations for any player simply because they were drafted 7th overall. If Lias becomes a 55 point, 2-way center, that's good value for the pick. I know everyone wants the elite player, but getting an elite player 7th overall shouldn't be the expectation.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Just concerned about the part of the pro. scouting staff label Lias A. as a most NHL ready talent that year, but it`s what it is and he still looked kind of slow this year. And I`m not sure what the franchise see in him in the future - new Emerson Etem kind of player and will be moved in a good hockey trade? I don`t have a good role for him at the moment - we could as well use Kevin Hayes and lock him up with a long term contract next summer.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The front office, yes, but not the player, which was effen's point.

That said, I think some people have too high of expectations for any player simply because they were drafted 7th overall. If Lias becomes a 55 point, 2-way center, that's good value for the pick. I know everyone wants the elite player, but getting an elite player 7th overall shouldn't be the expectation.

But Dubinsky was a 55 point two-way player once in his career. At least with us, I haven't followed him in Columbus.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think the only reason people are in a panic over him not making the NHL roster is because Chytil made the team and he was picked after him. If they only drafted Andersson in round 1 then it would be a non-issue.

Completely forgot about that. I think he will become a consistent 20-goal scorer -- and perhaps even our captain -- though it's hard to predict when. I'm guessing that will be when he's 24-25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->