2017 NHL Draft - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Based on the Canucks' recent history of telegraphing their every move, I don't think they're looking beyond Mittelstadt or Liljegren.

There's been enough buzz around Glass to be pretty confident he's in their top five. The issue is, I think, he's behind Mittelstadt, and probably one of the defensemen. It would not surprise me if our draft board goes Mittelstadt, Defenseman, Glass in the 3-5 spot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There's been enough buzz around Glass to be pretty confident he's in their top five. The issue is, I think, he's behind Mittelstadt, and probably one of the defensemen. It would not surprise me if our draft board goes Mittelstadt, Defenseman, Glass in the 3-5 spot.

Really should be

Glass
Vilardi
Necas
Heiskanen
Makar
Middlestat
Peterson

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

I think they have it Mittlestadt, Glass, Liljegren. I almost hope that Vilardi and Heiskanen are already taken so we don't have to live with 20 years of regret over not taking the obvious, consensus BPA....for the third time.

I'm fixated on Vilardi, Glass and Heiskanen and anything but those three will be very disappointing. We can trade down to Buffalo's spot and have 100% certainty of three of Mittlestadt, Necas, Pettersson, Makar and Liljegren being available.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think they have it Mittlestadt, Glass, Liljegren. I almost hope that Vilardi and Heiskanen are already taken so we don't have to live with 20 years of regret over not taking the obvious, consensus BPA....for the third time.

I'm fixated on Vilardi, Glass and Heiskanen and anything but those three will be very disappointing. We can trade down to Buffalo's spot and have 100% certainty of three of Mittlestadt, Necas, Pettersson, Makar and Liljegren being available.

I didn't want to put Liljegren in there because I'm still in denial. It would be a pure Canuck, contrarian pick though. But overall I agree with what you're saying here.

Passing on Vilardi would really hurt if he falls. Mittlestadt is sort of a wildcard wherein if someone ahead of us really buys the "all-star potential" story he might go before we can get him. It sounds like if Mittlestadt is on the board though, we'll pick him. You're probably right though, I'd suspect they have Glass ahead of Liljegren.

I think the only way we go D is if Glass and Mittlestadt go #3/#4 in some combo, and then we'd take Liljegren ahead of Vilardi ... and cause a fan meltdown.

JA

This is a shift-by-shift package focused on Casey Mittelstadt of the Eden Prairie Eagles of the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL). His performance here is from his team's February 2, 2017 match against the Minnetonka Skippers. Mittelstadt wears #11 in dark grey.

Last edited by a moderator:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I retract my sarcasm regarding Necas a bit...

I was very high on him previously, and really looked forward to seeing what he could do at the U18s.

I was fairly disappointed though, as he didn't seem to read the play very well, and was skating full speed all the time not getting a lot accomplished. He also didn't seem to play very well defensively, and he didn't think as fast as he could skate.

I can see why a player like that can be so exciting when everything clicks on a play, and he gets the right bounces.

What I did like was his skating ability, and tenacity. He had an edge and nastiness even though he was a bit of a string bean. Small sample size I admit.

Glass however I find thinks the game one to two plays ahead. His positioning and hockey IQ is quite remarkable. Not flashy, so his "highlights" might not be as exciting,

You know who else didn't do very well at the u18? Heicher, and glass. Heicher looked gases during, Cody glass had one good game.

Anyways he looks fine to me. Incredible speed, awesome edgework, seems to be able to actually hang onto the puck for extended periods. Incredible speed and stick handling at the same time, very good hands. He will be fine.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I think Necas might be on the canucks radar more than people think. He has the speed and sizzle that will make him standout over a few of the other options.

The combine in buffalo should be interesting. We might get a better idea of who the canucks like afterwards.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Just putting together the pieces from what Botchford and CA have sporadically been mentioning about the Canucks' draft preferences, I get the sense that their ranking is something like this:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Mittlestadt

4) Liljegren

5) Glass

So basically, as fans, we either really hope Mittlestadt doesn't go at 3 or 4 (someone there will take a d-man, right? Right?!?!) or that Glass surpasses Liljegren in their final internal rankings pre-draft.

This is all assuming no one wants Liljegren @ 5, of course.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Canucks' Best Case Scenario:
Subject to: (1) Monster campaign by Vilardi in Memorial Cup & (2) Hischier falling from not being "NHL ready" or whatever excuse..
1) NJD - Patrick
2) PHI - Vilardi
3) DAL - Glass / Heiskanen / Mittelstadt
4) COL - Heiskanen
5) VAN - Hischier

Canucks' Worst Case Scenario:
1) NJD - Patrick
2) PHI - Hischier
3) DAL - Heiskanen / Glass / Mittelstadt / Vilardi
4) COL - Heiskanen / Vilardi (?) / Liljegren / Makar
5) VAN - Glass / Vilardi / Mittelstadt / Necas / Petterson / Liljegren / Makar

Wish we could get another top 10 pick... grab 1 C and 1 D... Preferably Vilardi + Liljegren / Makar..... or even Vilardi AND Necas... Vilardi plays with the Canucks next season (or go back to Windsor for 1 year if he's not ready)....

We try to compete for playoffs.. and most likely fail... finish anywhere from last to 15th last... and pray to whatever God u believe in.. win the lotto & draft Dahlin next year at 1st overall. (*Dream scenario ofc).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Every indication? Dallas is starved for defense. They gotta grab Heiskanen.

Dallas already has two high-end Euro skill defenders in Klingberg and Honka. Taking another smallish skill defender makes zero sense for them.

As well, most teams don't draft for need.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
I didn't want to put Liljegren in there because I'm still in denial. It would be a pure Canuck, contrarian pick though. But overall I agree with what you're saying here.

Passing on Vilardi would really hurt if he falls. Mittlestadt is sort of a wildcard wherein if someone ahead of us really buys the "all-star potential" story he might go before we can get him. It sounds like if Mittlestadt is on the board though, we'll pick him. You're probably right though, I'd suspect they have Glass ahead of Liljegren.

I think the only way we go D is if Glass and Mittlestadt go #3/#4 in some combo, and then we'd take Liljegren ahead of Vilardi ... and cause a fan meltdown.

There would be a fan meltdown if they picked Liljegren with #5..Probably one of the more skilled players in the draft,but seriously lacking hockey sense

Bob McKenzie has him listed at 12th overall...definitely not BPA at 5...IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad