2017 NHL Draft - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Draft-watchers always seem to talk about Vilardi's skating, but the kid is pretty rangy at 6'3" but looked pretty decent in terms of speed through the neutral zone in his highlight packages.....I think is skating will improve as he physically matures.

Not sure he'll still be on the board at #5 though....every indication he's going to Dallas as a long-term replacement for Spezza.

Every indication? Dallas is starved for defense. They gotta grab Heiskanen.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Every indication? Dallas is starved for defense. They gotta grab Heiskanen.

Dallas could honestly go both ways.. defence is in transition of getting younger (Klingberg still only 3 years of NHL experience).

Spezza replacement should be in the works too. Glass, Vilardi or Miro Heiskanen for them i guess?

Would COL go Liljegren, Brannstrom or Makar if Heiskanen goes #3?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Dallas could honestly go both ways.. defence is in transition of getting younger (Klingberg still only 3 years of NHL experience).

Spezza replacement should be in the works too. Glass, Vilardi or Miro Heiskanen for them i guess?

Would COL go Liljegren, Brannstrom or Makar if Heiskanen goes #3?

Potentially, but I think they're going to want to shore up their defense long term. Honka is no guarantee, and Heiskanen is a two way D. He has the potential to be a #1 for sure. I see them taking Glass if they do take a center, but again, I think it's unlikely.

Colorado I think will go with either Liljegren or Makar. Brannstrom would be a bit of a stretch. I think they'll go with Makar. He's too good to pass up and Liljegren has his shortcomings, but I see Liljegren being more in the mould of what they 'need'. I think it's definitely between those two if Heiskanen is off the board, but who knows what their thought process is.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Potentially, but I think they're going to want to shore up their defense long term. Honka is no guarantee, and Heiskanen is a two way D. He has the potential to be a #1 for sure. I see them taking Glass if they do take a center, but again, I think it's unlikely.

Colorado I think will go with either Liljegren or Makar. Brannstrom would be a bit of a stretch. I think they'll go with Makar. He's too good to pass up and Liljegren has his shortcomings, but I see Liljegren being more in the mould of what they 'need'. I think it's definitely between those two if Heiskanen is off the board, but who knows what their thought process is.
Maybe Jim Nill swings a deal for COL's assets (Duchene, Landeskog, Mackinnon) with their pick so COL gets Heiskanen...

Sort of makes sense for COL since they're rebuilding and DAL if they need some marketing PR campaign to replace Sharp (Mackinnon).. COL drafts Heiskanen at 3... Glass/Vilardi goes at #4 to COL/DAL and we get the leftover at 5.

I think i can confidently say it is extremely likely that we'll get one of Glass / Vilardi. I'm ****ing thrilled! 5th pick is seriously great for this franchise.

Being cute .. would be drafting Necas / Mittelstadt / Makar (FTR no problems with any of these 3 though)... although passing on Vilardi would be so dumb in my honest opinion.

This guy is probably the only guy able to play RW next year in our top 6 (not a compliment to our team btw). (Note: Not going to listen to lawrence's comment about Canucks being higher on Necas than Vilardi).. And i'm okay with Vilardi playing next year... Give him 3-4 years he could be Draisatl.. or he could be Kassian... or he could be Sutter.... or he could be Linden..Thinking & praying Draisatl ofc.

If the goal is to win a cup though.... do we still swing for the fence if Vilardi is available at 5?

JA

I would let Vilardi play another season in the OHL. He should be able to move back to center next year with Nattinen gone. He is still growing and maturing; his game has taken another step forward as of late, and I would let him continue to improve and build on his game. His skating has improved since the year began, and next year he should be able to continue to develop as he becomes stronger and faster. He is one of the youngest players in this entire draft class.

After I posted that brief clip today, I saw that people on Reddit were trying to over-analyze and make assumptions about his game based on that one shift. This is why it is important to watch entire matches. Vilardi is one of the smartest, most skillful players of his draft class. He is a power forward, a playmaker, and a sniper. He has terrific hands. His offensive game is very well-rounded, and he is responsible at both ends -- he kills penalties for the Spitfires. He can play in front of the net, work down low, move the puck around the zone, drive to the net, beat players from a standstill with strength and finesse, as well as distribute the puck with grace and precision. He has a great shot. He reads plays at a high level and has very high hockey IQ.

One thing I have noticed about the Spitfires is that Rocky Thompson sometimes has his players play long shifts -- unlike other teams whose players tend to receive 45-second shifts, the Spitfires players sometimes play shifts that can last up to 90 seconds or even 2 minutes. Even after a stoppage, sometimes he just keeps his players out on the ice.

The top two lines:

Addison-Brown-Bracco
____-Nattinen-Vilardi

Every game, Vilardi takes a handful of faceoffs in place of Nattinen. Next season, with Nattinen graduating from the OHL, Vilardi will move back to center. Luchuk, also a center, sometimes plays left wing on that line but has filled in at center on the Bracco line when Brown is out. DiGiacinto and Luchuk are the two rotating players on the left side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Is there really any difference in potential between Glass, Middlestadt, Vilardi and the top two guys? Sure it will take the first three more time to likely get to their ceilings, but maybe they will become really good too?

BG answered this, but in terms of what type of player a prospect can become, it's up to each prospect's post-draft development. Vilardi has to overcome his skating. Glass has to prove his offensive ability as he advances. Mittelstadt needs to improve his play without the puck. Whereas the top2 picks do not have the same deficiencies. So Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt will have to do more to get level with Hischier and Patrick. That can be done. However, the likelihood that it can be done is questionable. You're still getting a good player though.

my pick if Mittelstadt/Vilardi are taken is Pettersson.

He has put the same production quality that Glass has done except he's doing it in a mens league. Pettersson is also much more dynamic and offensively gifted than Glass. They're the same height except that Pettersson is 20 pounds lighter than Glass.

My list final list for #5 pick:

Mittelstadt
Vilardi
Pettersson

Can you explain why you have Pettersson at #5 instead of #3 given your rationale for lauding his ability vs. Glass: That he put up numbers in a men's league. With your ranking, you are favouring the player in the weakest league.

Also, what separates Vilardi and Glass for you in terms of their ability?

pattersson is not gonna be drafted at #5.

He really should be considered at #5.

If we're going another direction with no Sedins in our future, don't pick Vilardi... and go upside Mittelstadt or Petterson...

Halfway.. we can go Necas.. offers pretty much the same as Vilardi but instead of size strong low game.. more overall skill and speed.

Are you actually changing your pick order based on what the Sedins will do? What is the difference in upside that you see for Vilardi, Mittelstadt and Pettersson?

If Vilardi goes to Dallas and Colorado takes a D-man. Do we take Glass or Mittelstadt?

Pettersson.

But it's an interesting question because I think the choice will be between Mittelstadt, Vilardi and Glass.

We haven't heard anything about the Canucks and Pettersson. This is a concern. Benning tends to telegraph everything. People suspected that they would be looking at Juolevi before the draft last year. This year, there are rumblings about Liljegren, but next to nothing about Pettersson. In any event, I think there will be 1 or 2 forward options available so they do not have to consider Liljegren.

And so, it's likely a choice between 2 of the 3 options for pick #5. How do people rank them? For me it's:

1. Vilardi
2. Pettersson (will not likely be taken, but this is his rank)
3. Mittelstadt
4. Glass

With Glass vs. Mittelstadt being a real debate. However, a debate that maybe does not have to take place if Vilardi drops to #5.

Last edited:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
My boys are Necas and Pettersson but if it comes down to Vilardi or Glass I won't cry about it on draft day. In that event I'm leaning Vilardi because he's more of a "driver" and Windsor isn't inflating his numbers as much as Portland may be doing for Glass.

Mittlestadt's two-way game is behind all the others. Goes without saying that we won't outskill our divisional foes but can win via complete team attention to detail. The fear of bolting--miniscule though it may be--would also be tough to endure for three years. OK if it's a 5th rounder but 5OA is asking a lot.

Would take it hard if they go D. Heiskanen seems to be top guy of late but he makes no sense in light of OJ. The others are too volatile as long term projections go.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
My boys are Necas and Pettersson but if it comes down to Vilardi or Glass I won't cry about it on draft day. In that event I'm leaning Vilardi because he's more of a "driver" and Windsor isn't inflating his numbers as much as Portland may be doing for Glass.

Mittlestadt's two-way game is behind all the others. Goes without saying that we won't outskill our divisional foes but can win via complete team attention to detail. The fear of bolting--miniscule though it may be--would also be tough to endure for three years. OK if it's a 5th rounder but 5OA is asking a lot.

Would take it hard if they go D. Heiskanen seems to be top guy of late but he makes no sense in light of OJ. The others are too volatile as long term projections go.

Agreed with Necas and Pettersson - I think those are the only guys with the potential to become #1 centres after the top 2, but I wouldn't mind Vilardi or Glass as they have a high floor. If we go D, I hope Makar is our guy - if he hits his ceiling of a #1 puck mover, we have a formidable 1-2 punch in him and OJ for a long time. The fact that he's RHD makes him a bit more enticing as well.

I don't get the whole label that this draft is horrible. I actually think the top 15 is well above your average draft. I guess it lacks depth past that though and also lacks a McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Agreed with Necas and Pettersson - I think those are the only guys with the potential to become #1 centres after the top 2, but I wouldn't mind Vilardi or Glass as they have a high floor. If we go D, I hope Makar is our guy - if he hits his ceiling of a #1 puck mover, we have a formidable 1-2 punch in him and OJ for a long time. The fact that he's RHD makes him a bit more enticing as well.

I don't get the whole label that this draft is horrible. I actually think the top 15 is well above your average draft. I guess it lacks depth past that though and also lacks a McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine.

Martin (Dylan Larkin) Necas, has drawn comparisons to Nathan mackinnon.

Meanwhile, Elias Petterson has drawn comparisons to Henrik Zetterberg because of his solid 2way play, offensive vision, puck protection skill. sure he's 160, but Caucasians can easily put on weight. So that's not a problem.

We haven't heard anything about the Canucks and Pettersson.

I believe, the Canucks have Pettersson highly regarded.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Meanwhile, Elias Petterson has drawn comparisons to Henrik Zetterberg because of his solid 2way play, offensive vision, puck protection skill. sure he's 160, but Caucasions can easily put on weight. So that's not a problem.

When do you get insight on Canucks final rankings?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
When do you get insight on Canucks final rankings?

Shortly after their final meeting before the draft. if possible to even obtain the list.

They have 2 meetings per year, mid term, and final. The meeting is usually close to draft day, so near draft day. I hope I can obtain it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Do you claim insider knowledge?

How is Pettersson ranked for them, relative to Glass, Mittelstadt, Vilardi and Necas?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After Pettersson.

I've watched every video of Glass and I just don't see what makes him outstanding. He's a deft passer and is good positionally but that's as far as it goes.

He kind of looks like a bigger Markus Granlund, stylistically. Another comparable style is Sean Monahan.

Mittelstadt, Vilardi, and Pettersson own the puck. They're exciting players to watch, create offence, and are creative in the offensive zone.

How important is offensive creativity? Some scouting reports say that Glass is creative offensively while others says he's not. It seems that the consensus is that Glass has high hockey IQ in that he frequently makes the right plays, which often means non flashy direct plays. Personally, I have no problem with that.

Your Sean Monahan reference is quite interesting because in his draft year, he was drafted behind Druoin and Lindholm mostly because Monahan was perceived as having the lower offensive ceiling. If the Canucks come away with Glass and he turns into a 20+ goal 55 point C who plays a 200 foot game I would be really happy.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Patrick, Nico, Heiskanen, Mittelstadt, Vilardi

I want us to pick whoever is left out of those 5 when it's our turn.

I also like Liljegren, Glass and Necas

Guys I would stay away from at the 5 spot are Petterson (huge upside, but too much risk with his frame) and Makar (again huge upside, but despite the skills, he's very risky because of the competition he faced. If we trade down, I'd look at either one of those guys if our scouting department is sold on them.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Thats great news if true. He should be in everyones top 5.

People talk about his flaw as if its insurmountable. Any prospect we draft has flaws, and a lack of weight is probably the easiest of any flaw to fix for an 18 year old. Anyone can put on weight. Ectomorphs just have to work harder at it, but there is no doubt that EP can put on the strength and mass necessary to succeed at the NHL level.

The reason I like this player and in fact see him as a safe bet relative to his peers is because high hockey IQ makes a prospect a safe one. Combine that with elite skill and thats an even more surefire prospect. EP can work his ass off and get stronger. Other prospects cannot simply work their ***** off and get smarter, it doesnt work like that. Hockey IQ is largely innate, and EP has a lot of it.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

Meanwhile, Elias Petterson has drawn comparisons to Henrik Zetterberg because of his solid 2way play, offensive vision, puck protection skill. sure he's 160, but Caucasians can easily put on weight. So that's not a problem.

Caucasians can easily put on weight....wow :help:

Pettersson is an ectomorph body type, he may never be able to put on significant muscle mass. He has skills up the wazoo, but he is a weakling if there ever was one. This is a legit concern, believe it or not.

Zetterberg is about as strong as any forward pound for Pound I have seen. He rarely if ever loses a puck battle. They are both Swedish, Ill give you that

And Necas could fit in one of Mackinnon's pant legs

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Glass compared to Monahan? I don't see it. I think Monahan is a closer comparison in style to Vilardi. Monahan was billed as a guy who could do everything well, with a pro ready body, great shot, but had issues with acceleration.

Draft-watchers always seem to talk about Vilardi's skating, but the kid is pretty rangy at 6'3" but looked pretty decent in terms of speed through the neutral zone in his highlight packages.....I think is skating will improve as he physically matures.

Not sure he'll still be on the board at #5 though....every indication he's going to Dallas as a long-term replacement for Spezza.
It does seem that way. Anyone describing it as atrocious, insert :shakehead. His skating was no worse than Bo's in his draft year, better even. These comparisons to Stone/Draisaitl (draft year to draft year) are flawed. I think both of those guys skating were worse in their draft year, they worked hard to improve.

Vilardi's stride itself reminds me of Tavares, when he was in the OHL.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Glass compared to Monahan? I don't see it. I think Monahan is a closer comparison in style to Vilardi. Monahan was billed as a guy who could do everything well, with a pro ready body, great shot, but had issues with acceleration.

It does seem that way. Anyone describing it as atrocious, insert :shakehead. His skating was no worse than Bo's in his draft year, better even. These comparisons to Stone/Draisaitl (draft year to draft year) are flawed. I think both of those guys skating were worse in their draft year, they worked hard to improve.

Vilardi's stride itself reminds me of Tavares, when he was in the OHL.

I've been wondering where you've been. Any highlight videos of Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Necas and Petterson coming up?? :popcorn:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I retract my sarcasm regarding Necas a bit...

I was very high on him previously, and really looked forward to seeing what he could do at the U18s.

I was fairly disappointed though, as he didn't seem to read the play very well, and was skating full speed all the time not getting a lot accomplished. He also didn't seem to play very well defensively, and he didn't think as fast as he could skate.

I can see why a player like that can be so exciting when everything clicks on a play, and he gets the right bounces.

What I did like was his skating ability, and tenacity. He had an edge and nastiness even though he was a bit of a string bean. Small sample size I admit.

Glass however I find thinks the game one to two plays ahead. His positioning and hockey IQ is quite remarkable. Not flashy, so his "highlights" might not be as exciting,

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Based on the Canucks' recent history of telegraphing their every move, I don't think they're looking beyond Mittelstadt or Liljegren.

I agree. I think Mittelstadt gets picked before our turn, so we take Liljegren. I wonder how much the mono affected the kid's season?

Potus

Apr 26, 2015
Germany
Quick question about the Blue Jackets Pick that we'll get for Torts moving to Ohio. Do you know the deadline until which they have to make a decision on whether to give us this years pick or next years?

I suppose there is a good chance we get it now since the Jackets finished in the Playoffs and the Draft not being considered crazy good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad