2017 NHL Draft - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Continue.

In response to CanaFan:

The PLD question was about recognizing a draft tendency, if there was one. If you recall, I had Tkachuk ahead of PLD in my final mock (should have been ahead of Pulju as well, but I digress). Foot speed was an issue for MT... didn't matter for me.

Vision is the most important consideration with Vilardi, IMO. Does he have the vision to mitigate his slower top speed? I've gone back and forth there. It's not as 'easy' as it is to see with Tkachuk. Vilardi has operated more as a shooter and has a 1:1 goals to assists ratio to show for it.

From the beginning of the year to end now, though, he's about as 'sure' a choice as one could get beyond the top2. It's not the upside choice of Mittelstadt or Makar... it's a conversion rate choice. There's a solace in that, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Continue.

In response to CanaFan:

The PLD question was about recognizing a draft tendency, if there was one. If you recall, I had Tkachuk ahead of PLD in my final mock (should have been ahead of Pulju as well, but I digress). Foot speed was an issue for MT... didn't matter for me.

Vision is the most important consideration with Vilardi, IMO. Does he have the vision to mitigate his slower top speed? I've gone back and forth there. It's not as 'easy' as it is to see with Tkachuk. Vilardi has operated more as a shooter and has a 1:1 goals to assists ratio to show for it.

From the beginning of the year to end now, though, he's about as 'sure' a choice as one could get beyond the top2. It's not the upside choice of Mittelstadt or Makar... it's a conversion rate choice. There's a solace in that, IMO.

Ya that's probably fair. I liked PLD for some of the same reasons I like Necas and CM ... push-the-pace players rather than slow-down-the-play-and-protect-the-puck types. Can't say one is always better, more of just a preference I have.

Vilardi is probably more 'Tkachuk-esque' which tbh means I probably should rank him a bit higher since he probably translates a bit 'safer' than Necas and CM. But those two just play a style that I like a bit more, esp as pure Centres.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It was a long shot guys...... like winning the Stanley cup? TBH San Jose got screwed over last game but oh well. Let's see what magic benning can do with this pick. He's been doing ok with the later picks.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It was a long shot guys...... like winning the Stanley cup? TBH San Jose got screwed over last game but oh well. Let's see what magic benning can do with this pick. He's been doing ok with the later picks.

Not even upset. They didn't even clear the first round against a squad of mostly playoff virgins that seem happy just to be here. If it was the SCF and they lost I'd be miffed, but now I'm just glad they continue to share the Canucks' reputation as perennial cup less chokers.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Okay, so I jumped the gun:

Toronto, Ottawa and Boston have to be eliminated before the conference finals before the order of the San Jose pick is decided. Right? If it was, for example, a Maple Leafs - Bruins conference final, those teams would move down and San Jose would move up...

b3be1a1ccd4404f5061e6885bd3bfd18.png

Calgary's already out, and even if the Leafs win, one of the Bruins and Senators has to lose, ensuring the pick can't go higher than #112.

It's all for naught anyways. It's more than likely going to be #114 at this point.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i honestly want the 2nd overall pick. i kind of like being able to say that the canucks have never picked 1st oveerall

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ya that's probably fair. I liked PLD for some of the same reasons I like Necas and CM ... push-the-pace players rather than slow-down-the-play-and-protect-the-puck types. Can't say one is always better, more of just a preference I have.

Vilardi is probably more 'Tkachuk-esque' which tbh means I probably should rank him a bit higher since he probably translates a bit 'safer' than Necas and CM. But those two just play a style that I like a bit more, esp as pure Centres.

I've read about the question marks regarding Vilardi as a C. Could go either way. I think like PLD, if he ends up with a team devoid of Cs, he will be developed as a C, IMO. A key point to be made here is to look at what he does without the puck. He's not floating. He's tracking, he's backchecking. He uses his reach to cut off passing lanes etc...

Interesting quirk when reading about Vilardi is that many scouts think of him as being more of a passer than a shooter, despite doubling his goal output this year and still maintaining more of a 1:1 goals to assist ratio... I mean, you could make that case, he does look for his teammates when he should, but we are not seeing it in his numbers.

And finally, the injuries he had this year... He's just not an easy prospect to project. That said, I believe in his upside.

Anyways, I have Necas at #6, Mittelstadt has fluctuated. Here's my latest:

1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Vilardi
4. Mittelstadt
5. Liljegren
6. Necas
7. Glass
8. Heskainen
9. Makar
10. Pettersson

Disclaimer: I haven't followed this draft as closely as others. I know I'm probably short-changing Pettersson, Makar, Heskainen and even Glass. But I'm ranking picks in a new way. I am curious as to what the results will be given my different approach to evaluating these players.

Last edited:

JA

Can't say we made the wrong choice than, we just picked the one who was left

Probably the best thing with Jimbo calling the shots
In my opinion, it would be a mistake not to draft Hischier ahead of Patrick.

As someone who has watched both of them extensively, I feel that Hischier contributes far more on a nightly basis.

I think you'll all be rather impressed with Hischier in the full-game shift footage that I plan to present from games that were randomly sampled. What I saw of him in these games is more impressive than even his World Junior performances. I will tell those who have only seen him play at the World Juniors that, while those performances were strong, they weren't his best of the season. In the QMJHL, he played at an even higher level before burning out from fatigue.

Last edited by a moderator:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Can't say we made the wrong choice than, we just picked the one who was left

Probably the best thing with Jimbo calling the shots

dim Jim will pick Rassmussen at 2nd/3rd and tell the fans he got a really good player.
:facepalm:

In my opinion, it would be a mistake not to draft Hischier ahead of Patrick.

As someone who has watched both of them extensively, I feel that Hischier contributes far more on a nightly basis. I also will tell those who have only seen him play at the World Juniors that, while those performances were strong, they weren't his best of the season.

I think you'll all be rather impressed with Hischier in the footage that I plan to present.

But given how unlikely we are to pick first, do you think it would be reasonable to draft Patrick if Hishier is picked and Patrick remains.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Classic Canuckian fashion. Hitch our broken down carriage to the weakest contender to ever be considered a contender. I don't know if the Hawks or the Sharks should be more upset with their play, both teams were suppose to be contenders. Hawks another weak playoffs from their star players, Keith/Toews weren't heard from all playoffs. Then we have to watch a Sharks team who could score at will this season it seemed to be shut down by one of the weaker starting goalies in the league and the shallowest defence core. I know the Sharks went in backwards and banged up. But man. Not many bigger disappointments than these two teams this year.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Not even upset. They didn't even clear the first round against a squad of mostly playoff virgins that seem happy just to be here. If it was the SCF and they lost I'd be miffed, but now I'm just glad they continue to share the Canucks' reputation as perennial cup less chokers.

Sharks, Caps, Sens, Canucks. The Trapezium of Sadness.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
San Jose don't have their 2nd and 3rd this year and don't have a 2nd and 3rd next season. It's more or less to squeeze something a little extra from the Sharks. The Sharks agreed to it so why not?

Agreed.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Hishier
2 Patrick
3 Middlestat
4 Glass
5 Makar
6 Vilardi
7 Necas
8 Haiskanen
9 Peterson
10 Suzuki

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was always a real long-shot for the Sharks to go all the way to final again this year and then win it all....has there ever been a team in recent memory which actually accomplished that?

Still, I'm OK with Goldobin and a fourth for Hansen....only caught parts of the series, but he didn't seem to get much done out there for the Sharks.

So if the second ends up coming back from Columbus, Canucks will have six picks in the top-124....should be able to mine some talent with those picks, even if it isn't that deep a draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad