2017 NHL Draft - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Gotta think Green will have a bigger voice in the room now that he's the HC. Who do you think he might prefer?

Green will be likely be in his 3rd year by the time the player we draft is ready. Coaches don't usually have much say at the draft as there is a reason you have a scouting department. You pay coaches to coach and scouts to scout. This isn't the NFL.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Glass reminds me of Stepan and vilardi reminds me of Stone. I feel fairly confident both will be nhlers but not stars. Both have attributes that can make them solid pieces of a rebuild here.

This draft is pretty much comprised of a lot of good nhlers but not many x factor talents with star qualities. You just hope the guy you draft turns out closer to Mark Schiefele than Ryan Strome.

In that same sense, I wouldn't 'reduce' Glass and/or Vilardi to the comparable players you mentioned. Where you might see a M. Stone comparison for Vilardi, I see the potential for a Jeff Carter like trajectory. Glass has already been compared to Johansen in terms of production etc...

For almost any draft, prospects need a lot of post draft development to reach Stardom in the NHL. I'm sure Carter wasn't drafted to be a star where he was taken (11th in 2003 I think).

Pettersson and Mittelstadt have high ceilings. Could be 1st line core players. Vilardi and Glass could also be 1st liners. That's more than good enough for 5th overall.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In that same sense, I wouldn't 'reduce' Glass and/or Vilardi to the comparable players you mentioned. Where you might see a M. Stone comparison for Vilardi, I see the potential for a Jeff Carter like trajectory. Glass has already been compared to Johansen in terms of production etc...

For almost any draft, prospects need a lot of post draft development to reach Stardom in the NHL. I'm sure Carter wasn't drafted to be a star where he was taken (11th in 2003 I think).

Pettersson and Mittelstadt have high ceilings. Could be 1st line core players. Vilardi and Glass could also be 1st liners. That's more than good enough for 5th overall.

Is there really any difference in potential between Glass, Middlestadt, Vilardi and the top two guys? Sure it will take the first three more time to likely get to their ceilings, but maybe they will become really good too?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Is there really any difference in potential between Glass, Middlestadt, Vilardi and the top two guys? Sure it will take the first three more time to likely get to their ceilings, but maybe they will become really good too?

A lot of times it's not hypothetical potential. A lot of guys have sky high hypothetical potential. Tryamkin had sky high hypothetical and he went in the 3rd round.

It's a question of "How likely is it they'll reach their potential" and "How close are they already to reaching that potential".

There are lots of players...hell lots of people...who have high "ceilings" that they never come close to realizing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, seems inevitable one of these three will be Canucks.....hard to know what Jimbo and the scouting staff is thinking about each one.....but one prediction....a kid like Gaudette will crack the Canucks at centre long before anybody they draft in June.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Yes, seems inevitable one of these three will be Canucks.....hard to know what Jimbo and the scouting staff is thinking about each one.....but one prediction....a kid like Gaudette will crack the Canucks at centre long before anybody they draft in June.
Yep.. totally. Fingers crossed for his continual development.

I think Necas / Petterson alongside those 3 are being considered (Glass / Vilardi / Mittelstadt).

We should do a poll for these 5.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI

I could see afew draft options this year joining the Nucks same time as Gaudette

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
im really intreged with Necas also,i watched some videos on him.
A little under weight,but the skill is there big time.

Yeah thats true cant forget about Necas. If Glass AND Vilardi are gone for me its between Necas and Heiskanen

If we trade Tanev to Las Vegas or Buffalo for there 1sts then we can kill two birds with ONE stone :)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If Las Vegas trades their first ever first round draft pick for Chris Tanev I will print this message off, have it put on a stovepipe hat, and then eat the hat.

Yeah I guess your right they probably wont do it :laugh:

So just Buffalo :laugh:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
my pick if Mittelstadt/Vilardi are taken is Pettersson.

He has put the same production quality that Glass has done except he's doing it in a mens league. Pettersson is also much more dynamic and offensively gifted than Glass. They're the same height except that Pettersson is 20 pounds lighter than Glass.

My list final list for #5 pick:

Mittelstadt
Vilardi
Pettersson

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
my pick if Mittelstadt/Vilardi are taken is Pettersson.

He has put the same production quality that Glass has done except he's doing it in a mens league. Pettersson is also much more dynamic and offensively gifted than Glass. They're the same height except that Pettersson is 20 pounds lighter than Glass.

My list final list for #5 pick:

Mittelstadt
Vilardi
Pettersson

Just clarifying.. Glass before Mittelstadt or after Petterson?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Just clarifying.. Glass before Mittelstadt or after Petterson?

After Pettersson.

I've watched every video of Glass and I just don't see what makes him outstanding. He's a deft passer and is good positionally but that's as far as it goes.

He kind of looks like a bigger Markus Granlund, stylistically. Another comparable style is Sean Monahan.

Mittelstadt, Vilardi, and Pettersson own the puck. They're exciting players to watch, create offence, and are creative in the offensive zone.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
pattersson is not gonna be drafted at #5.

tho his success also had a lot of help from dahlen who we also have.

i prefer vilardi out of them.

left winger can go on horvat boeser line

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
pattersson is not gonna be drafted at #5.

tho his success also had a lot of help from dahlen who we also have.

i prefer vilardi out of them.

left winger can go on horvat boeser line

detroit is going to draft pettersson and it will be another homerun pick

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
detroit is going to draft pettersson and it will be another homerun pick

Well, if we're speaking hypotheticals, Petterson could blossom in Detroit whilst he could bust in Vancouver. Or he blossoms here alongside Dahlen... who knows.

I think we all gotta put aside past biases:
A) Cody Glass - his name
B) Casey Mittelstadt - lower HS competition
C) Elias Petterson - "soft" Euro
D) Martin Necas - not fitting because he's Czech

Right now.. our team basically has 3 spots open in our top 6 ready for the taking.

We need to put ourselves in a time machine and project 3 years from now:
1) Glass - using Scheifele and Johansen as a projection.. he's not going to really find and break out in his game for 4 to 6 seasons.. but after those 4 to 6 seasons, Glass could be a 1C or 2C or 3C

2) Mittelstadt - going to be 2 years away for sure.. maybe 3... has high upside with high offensive skills... with our development path for our NCAA players.. when he comes out of college, he'll be good right away and maybe elite in around 1 to 2 years... or he could be Patrick White (but no scout actually thinks that .. even some Patty Kane comparables.. and C potential.. most likely a LW1 or LW2)

3) Petterson... could be next Zetterberg? Or not? the biggest concern is his lack of drive to the net... and are his pts inflated by Dahlen and Liljegren? ... that being said NHL is trending into a speed game... speed kills. Maybe he's Zetterberg... maybe he's Rodin (like the Rodin when we first drafted him - didn't translate right away)

4) Necas.. arguably best skater.. ferocious.. and strong drive.. Giroux comparables.. strong 2 way game. Shorter than Glass and Vilardi... is cultural adaptability a concern (given how Tryamkin left)?

5) Vilardi.. has everything.. but skating is his only issue... and yeah did see some posts arguing about speed.. if a big guy like Vilardi is smart with the puck and maneuvers in tight spots, speed is not an issue as long as his speed is still within the NHL average.

Personally, i really want Vilardi.. i just think EDM has gotten too big and I think Vilardi can fit on the right wing of either Horvat/Henrik/Sutter this coming season already. And then slowly work his way into becoming a C and heir apparent to Henrik in 3 seasons..

It all comes down to whether mgmt is truly going to the direction of utilizing and complimenting the pieces that we have & this includes the Sedins' future (whether people want to believe or think about this).

If we're going another direction with no Sedins in our future, don't pick Vilardi... and go upside Mittelstadt or Petterson...

Halfway.. we can go Necas.. offers pretty much the same as Vilardi but instead of size strong low game.. more overall skill and speed.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Have had fun watching footage of Vilardi. I would not be upset at all with him. He's built for the west. He in a way reminds me of Getzlaf (of today). A better skater imo but less of a mean streak.

He's really getting me interested. Might even have him equal to Glass now at 5. This kid could be a #1 center for sure. His tools get me excited.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm fine with any of Vilardi, Glass, Middlestadt or Necas assuming they all project to center.

Adding one of them to Bo and Gaudette gives reason for hope down the middle in the not too distant future. Might not be a Mcdavid or Crosby in that mix, but very well could be a Toews + Sharp.

Don't want to see back to back top 5 picks used on a defenceman. Need to use this 1st pick to (hopefully) solidify things down the middle. Early 2nd round is a sweet spot for defenders, so add a blueliner there.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
one positive that has nothing to do with who we should pick is that if this player is 2 years out then we should get to see them in the 2018/2019 World Juniors. Same with possibly our seconds.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
thats why tanev needs to go for pick between #7 - 13 this draft

draft 2 from this bunch: vilardi heiskanen mittlestadt makar liljegren pettersson necas glass.

From dallas and colorado boards, both their fans are leaning on drafting heiskanen.

Last edited:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
i've wanted vilardi since the start of the season. Midway through the year I thought we had no chance, so if we do get him I'll be ecstatic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Draft-watchers always seem to talk about Vilardi's skating, but the kid is pretty rangy at 6'3" but looked pretty decent in terms of speed through the neutral zone in his highlight packages.....I think is skating will improve as he physically matures.

Not sure he'll still be on the board at #5 though....every indication he's going to Dallas as a long-term replacement for Spezza.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Draft-watchers always seem to talk about Vilardi's skating, but the kid is pretty rangy at 6'3" but looked pretty decent in terms of speed through the neutral zone in his highlight packages.....I think is skating will improve as he physically matures.

Not sure he'll still be on the board at #5 though....every indication he's going to Dallas as a long-term replacement for Spezza.

If Vilardi goes to Dallas and Colorado takes a D-man. Do we take Glass or Mittelstadt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad