Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
My top choice is Mittlestadt, but Owen Tippett fits the exact mold of what this team is trying to build

Mittelstadt has become my favorite of the 'not Nolan/Nico' group. Just curious- do you like him for the Devils' pick assuming they don't win a top spot or no matter where they pick? I'm only asking because Patrick has seemed to be getting a lot of negativity lately and this secondary tier has finally gotten recognition as of late.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My top choice is Mittlestadt, but Owen Tippett fits the exact mold of what this team is trying to build

I'm mainly just window-shopping at this point, but just from what's been said, I think I'd prefer Glass over Tippett.

Tippett seems like Palmieri 2.0 which is nice, but I'd rather try to add a center at the top of the draft.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I'm mainly just window-shopping at this point, but just from what's been said, I think I'd prefer Glass over Tippett.

Tippett seems like Palmieri 2.0 which is nice, but I'd rather try to add a center at the top of the draft.

Drafting for position in this draft is foolish IMO. Yes, a center is optimal, but to call Tippett Palmieri 2.0 at this point is really near-sighted. We're going to need strong wingers going forward. I also think Tippett's ceiling is a lot higher than Palmieri's was at this point.

Glass isnt even a guaranteed center in the league. He could easily end up a RW.

Top 5 is all about BPA espc considering we need elite help up and down the roster. If the player available exceeds the other options take the better player at his position. Whoever we get is going to need to hit. We can't afford to foul this pick up.

I think better players will be available where we eventually are than Glass who I think is a reach top 5.

1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Vilardi
4. Mittelstadt
5. Tippett/Rasmussen

is my order of preference and I could be convinced on Hischier over Patrick depending on the circumstances (espc Patrick's medical and combine). I also think Rasmussen is getting overlooked by a lot of us here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why do we think Patricks medicals will be a thing? He's back, he's playing, he's dominant. I don't see the issue.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As far as C vs winger? Center is the more valuable position. That's not something that is debated.

Now do you take a lesser player because he is a C? No, but when the situation is as unclear as it appears to be this year, you take the C. Whether it's Vilardi, or Glass or whomever.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I want us to draft a forward because i'm not enticed by any of the defencemen at the top of the first round, there's better value to be had later in the draft.

The order of the guys I want is:

1) Hischier
2) Patrick
3) Vilardi
4) Mittlestadt
5) Glass
6) Pettersson
7) Necas

This is exactly my list as well. All of these guys would be a nice addition to the farm

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Drafting for position in this draft is foolish IMO. Yes, a center is optimal, but to call Tippett Palmieri 2.0 at this point is really near-sighted. We're going to need strong wingers going forward. I also think Tippett's ceiling is a lot higher than Palmieri's was at this point.

Glass isnt even a guaranteed center in the league. He could easily end up a RW.

Top 5 is all about BPA espc considering we need elite help up and down the roster. If the player available exceeds the other options take the better player at his position. Whoever we get is going to need to hit. We can't afford to foul this pick up.

I think better players will be available where we eventually are than Glass who I think is a reach top 5.

1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Vilardi
4. Mittelstadt
5. Tippett/Rasmussen

is my order of preference and I could be convinced on Hischier over Patrick depending on the circumstances (espc Patrick's medical and combine). I also think Rasmussen is getting overlooked by a lot of us here.

It's just every time I've seen Tippett he looks electric but he looks very narrow-minded. Not doubting that he has an NHL shot and will score a ton of goals in this league, but I just think I would value centers at the draft higher than wingers. Tippett seems more NHL-ready but I would think a guy like Glass/Rasmussen/Vilardi would be a BPA down the line.

From what I've read, Glass seems like a lot like Johansen who Castron picked earlier than expected in that draft IIRC. Similar to Dubois and Zacha where the package and potential are just too big to pass up.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I know we need defensemen, however, would love if Shero can get Comtois if he drops late first or early second. Big kid, plays with a mean streak and has skill as well.

Mittlestadt or Glass + Comey would be very much welcomed.

Last edited:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
My picks at this point:

1. Hirschier
2. Patrick
3. Mittlestadt
4. Glass
5. Petterson
6. Necas
7. Liljegren
8. Makar
9. Vilardi
10. Suzuki
11. Rasmussen
12. Tippett

Tippett, Vilardi, and Patrick all scare the heck out of me.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
What are everyone's thoughts on trading up back into the late first and snagging Yamamoto? Kid is extremely talented, just small.

Or maybe he'll fall to the early second and we won't have to trade up?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
What are everyone's thoughts on trading up back into the late first and snagging Yamamoto? Kid is extremely talented, just small.

Obviously depending on the picks involved, etc. etc. but I would be thrilled with it....kid is one of the fastest skaters available and has some incredible talent

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Watch this be the year we win the lottery and take a guy #1 overall who has injury issues.

I was thinking about it, but we really are in uncharted waters right now as far as the draft goes.

Starting to get comfortably into the 3rd position right now barring some big hot or even colder streak, yet we really still have no clue where we are picking.

Our fate is pretty much completely in the hands of the lotto balls.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I was thinking about it, but we really are in uncharted waters right now as far as the draft goes.

Starting to get comfortably into the 3rd position right now barring some big hot or even colder streak, yet we really still have no clue where we are picking.

Our fate is pretty much completely in the hands of the lotto balls.

That win against the Rangers killed any chance of passing the Coyotes. We'll be no higher than 3/4 (w/ Vegas) at this point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Maybe depends on who we take with that first pick. If we go d-man, then I'm cool trading up for a fwd. If we go fwd first, I'm pretty hesitant using assets to move up and get another fwd.

I like Valimaki. So again, if we go fwd with our top pick, I'd be pretty interested in moving up to take the Finn. Though that would greatly depend on him falling a bit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Liljegren is a guy whose stock seems to be dropping pretty starkly. And if he does fall in the actual draft I'd be very interested in jumping up for him as well.

I think part of his dissapointing season could be tied to the mono he had early in the year. Could be a steal late in the round.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Liljegren is a guy whose stock seems to be dropping pretty starkly. And if he does fall in the actual draft I'd be very interested in jumping up for him as well.

I think part of his dissapointing season could be tied to the mono he had early in the year. Could be a steal late in the round.

Doubt he falls too far.

You're likely to have a team with a deep prospect pool taking the calculated risk on a guy like Liljegren, especially since he's a RHD which teams covet nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad