Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Craig Button released an early draft ranking: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-nolan-patrick-stands-above-the-rest-1.566071

Bob McKenzie will probably have his in late September. The draft will be in Chicago next June and I'll definitely look to attend.

In terms of draft picks, the Devils currently have:

NJD1
NJD2
BOS2 (Stempniak trade)
NJD3? (not 100% confirmed, but may be going to Carolina from the Ruutu trade)
COL3 (Gelinas trade)
NJD4-7

In terms of prospects, Nolan Patrick is the early favorite to go #1. He just missed being eligible for 2016 by a few days. Workhorse center, but might not have as much offensive upside as Eichel/Matthews.

Casey Middelstadt and Kailer Yamamoto were added to Team USA U18 squad to provide some much needed offense. They flanked Logan Brown and had a tremendous tournament.

Mississauga might be interesting to watch this year. On top of tracking McLeod/Bastian, they have a 6'5 defenseman in Nicolas Hague who seems to be on most lists in the back half of the first round. There's also RW Owen Tippett (#29 on Button's) who was seemingly ranked higher going into the summer.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think I read somewhere this is a weak year

It'll be interesting to hear what Bob's scouting contacts say. Quick scan of the top of the list would almost suggest a 2nd consecutive weakish year for Canadian born guys. But maybe there's a resurgence with European prospects as well?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
From what I've seen there's a good amount of high-caliber left-handed defensemen, which would be a key addition to our prospect pool. Guys like Juuso Valimaki and Jacob Paquette are very realistic for where we could be drafting in my opinion. We'll see as the season progresses though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Where would Nolan Patrick have been drafted had he been in the 2016 class?

I think he would have slotted in 3/4, maybe getting the positional boost over Puljujarvi. Although hypothetically, I wonder if Winnipeg would have entertained taking him #2 since he's a hometown kid (and they already have Connor/Ehlers on the wing).

Fun alternate universe:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Patrick
3. Columbus - Laine
4. Edmonton - Puljujarvi
5. Montreal (via Vancouver) - Dubois

Columbus was rumored to have asked Winnipeg about moving up a spot for Laine. Allegedly Vancouver offered a package including #5 for Subban, but the Canadiens were lukewarm because they knew Dubois wouldn't be available there.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think he would have slotted in 3/4, maybe getting the positional boost over Puljujarvi. Although hypothetically, I wonder if Winnipeg would have entertained taking him #2 since he's a hometown kid (and they already have Connor/Ehlers on the wing).

Fun alternate universe:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Patrick
3. Columbus - Laine
4. Edmonton - Puljujarvi

Columbus was rumored to have asked Winnipeg about moving up a spot for Laine. Allegedly Vancouver offered a package including #5 for Subban, but the Canadiens were lukewarm because they knew Dubois wouldn't be available there.

That looks like quite the top 5.

I hadn't heard that rumor. Very interesting. I remember all those rumors flying about Subban being unavailable via trade after we traded for Hall, so ppl were asking if we were flipping Hall for Subban.

Also made me wonder if Edmonton ever considered moving Hall for Subban or if that wasn't a fit due to the contracts or player types. Ok, enough high jacking the thread.

It's weird, this is the first year in quite a long while that I don't recognize a good deal of the prospects by name. Nolan Patrick and a few others are the only ones that stick out.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

Fun alternate universe:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Patrick
3. Columbus - Laine
4. Edmonton - Puljujarvi

No way Patrick goes before Laine hometown or not. No way that kid is rediculous.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
No way Patrick goes before Laine hometown or not. No way that kid is rediculous.

I would go with Laine as well, but it would have been an interesting debate. Center vs. wing might have been a factor as well.

And Bob's rankings will come out on Thursday:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Trade our first rounder this season for the Rangers' first overall pick in 2018 and JT Miller

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thought Bob would've waited until prime time, but apparently he published his preliminary top 15 this morning: http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-pre-season-ranking-the-nolan-patrick-draft-1.567410

The consensus amongst scouts surveyed by TSN is that Patrick wouldn't have displaced any of the top four picks in last year's draft. Depending on the scout, they retroactively rank Patrick anywhere between No. 5 and 10, based on his 2015-16 season.

Interesting that the scouts don't think Patrick would have displaced Dubois.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Fun alternate universe:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Patrick
3. Columbus - Laine
4. Edmonton - Puljujarvi

No way on earth that Winnipeg would have drafted N.Patrick over P.Laine.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That looks like quite the top 5.

I hadn't heard that rumor. Very interesting. I remember all those rumors flying about Subban being unavailable via trade after we traded for Hall, so ppl were asking if we were flipping Hall for Subban.

Also made me wonder if Edmonton ever considered moving Hall for Subban or if that wasn't a fit due to the contracts or player types. Ok, enough high jacking the thread.

It's weird, this is the first year in quite a long while that I don't recognize a good deal of the prospects by name. Nolan Patrick and a few others are the only ones that stick out.

Montreal reportedly offered Subban for Hall, but Chiarelli was scared off by the size/length of Subban's contract.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Thats something that I bet will infuriate Edm fans if true.

Not really.

Subban doesn't really fix their defensive woes like a defensive guy like Larsson does and costs 2x as much as Larsson for longer. Likely puts Edmonton in cap hell when McDavid needs to re-up.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Montreal reportedly offered Subban for Hall, but Chiarelli was scared off by the size/length of Subban's contract.

Not true.

They wanted a MASSIVE package for Subban, which included Hall, Nurse and their 1st round pick. Bergevin knew Chiarelli was desperate and swung for the fences with a absurd offer... and got turned down, obviously.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Draisaitl+4th overall+more seemed to be the popular rumor. I forget which reporter mentioned it, but as Zippy said, the salary cap was a concern. Chiarelli knows McDavid will command a max deal in a couple seasons so that complicates things. Lucic+Larsson might seem more attractive than Subban+1 million dollar forward.

----------------------

Not exactly 2016 Draft talk, but spotted that 2015 draftee Cliff Pu was off to a nice start (19 points in 11 games) for London. A few folks were apprehensive about taking him last season due to pedestrian numbers (12 goals, 31 points) without taking into consideration that he was buried on a deep club. Almost predictably with Marner/Dvorak/Tkachuk turning pro, Pu's inherited more minutes and his production has increased. Similar thing happened to Dvorak.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Subban is so overrated. Still can't believe he's won a Norris trophy and Scott Stevens never did. Really grinds my gears.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I have a feeling we may be looking more towards a defenseman in this draft. Obviously you got BPA is someone drops into our laps and is a forward but our defense pool isn't what it was just two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad