2017 NHL Draft - Part 3 -- The aftermath

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
"My father always told me boring people get bored. I’m always more than entertained. I don’t know what (Lehtivuori's) qualms were and I don’t really care to find out to be honest with you."

This is one of the main quotes from the article above.

Personally, I am really happy that there are two Finns on the Flyers right now. Lehtivuori just seemed to suffer from culture shock or whatever. I was disappointed that there were no Finns drafted once again.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I don't exactly recall what happened with Lehtivuori, but Pitkanen was a huge weirdo and even Kapanen gave up on trying to help with him. The guy was a 20 something year old professional hockey player and he was living in a hotel room with his mom.

He is by far the biggest disappointment for me since following the Flyers. And that's saying something, as I thought Brendl was going to be one of the best goal scorers in the league.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't exactly recall what happened with Lehtivuori, but Pitkanen was a huge weirdo and even Kapanen gave up on trying to help with him. The guy was a 20 something year old professional hockey player and he was living in a hotel room with his mom.

He is by far the biggest disappointment for me since following the Flyers. And that's saying something, as I thought Brendl was going to be one of the best goal scorers in the league.

I always felt like Pitkanen "happened to us" - do you know what I mean? Like you throw up your arms, roll your eyes, and go "What in the living **** was that all about, God?"

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

Neither Pitkanen or Lehtivuori worked out. Lehtivuori was just more recent. At least the return for Pitkanen was decent.

Ryan Sittler was by far a bigger disappointment for me and after that Mark Pederson (if you`re talking NHLers). Adam Oates trade was freakin` terrible too and could have been worse if any of the assets given up had panned out for the Caps.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I always felt like Pitkanen "happened to us" - do you know what I mean? Like you throw up your arms, roll your eyes, and go "What in the living **** was that all about, God?"
Yeah, that trade to get him really was too good to be true. Dude was supposed to be a franchise defenseman, instead he was a shy mama's boy who enjoyed picking his nose.

download.jpg

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Not to derail the thread too much, but Ken Wregget for two firsts was awful too. I used to mock him when he was with the Leafs and then he was the Flyers goalie for the beginning of that nightmarish 5 years no playoffs. Terrible memories.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Neither Pitkanen or Lehtivuori worked out. Lehtivuori was just more recent. At least the return for Pitkanen was decent.

Ryan Sittler was by far a bigger disappointment for me and after that Mark Pederson (if you`re talking NHLers). Adam Oates trade was freakin` terrible too and could have been worse if any of the assets given up had panned out for the Caps.
I don't know if anyone really had any super high expectations for Lehtivuori. Pitkanen was supposed to be a franchise defenseman. Scotty Bowman compared him to Lidstrom.

I don't think it's the only reason, but I think it could be part of the reason they haven't drafted a Finn since they traded him.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I don't know if anyone really had any super high expectations for Lehtivuori. Pitkanen was supposed to be a franchise defenseman. Scotty Bowman compared him to Lidstrom.

I don't think it's the only reason, but I think it could be part of the reason they haven't drafted a Finn since they traded him.

To his credit, there were some games (very few) he did look the part. I remember one game in particular where he and Forsberg looked like superstars. Otherwise, Lehtivuori`s expectations weren`t even close. He was at least expected to finish his ELC.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm so happy we don't have to put all our eggs in one basket and pray for a miracle back there anymore. I mean, it was just decade after decade. It's ridiculous and no one would believe it if you told them and they hadn't seen it with their own eyes.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
To his credit, there were some games (very few) he did look the part. I remember one game in particular where he and Forsberg looked like superstars. Otherwise, Lehtivuori`s expectations weren`t even close. He was at least expected to finish his ELC.
He was absolutely fantastic in 05-06, when he put up 46 points in 58 games. The guy could rush the puck better than Ghost, but was 6'3 and had a mean streak. It's a damn shame it didn't work out.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Caser has good writ ups on Russuan guys in the prospects section. Here is Kosorenkovs and Usti's.

13. Ivan Kosorenkov (LW/RW; 6'0" 181 lbs; Victoriaville Tigres, QMJHL; 1 year overage)

Kosorenkov's bread and butter is his goal-scoring ability: he is a very calm and confident executor plus he got good hands and skating and got the nose for the goalscoring opportunities. His shooting percentage this season was 22.4% which might lead to a thought that he is just lucky, but then I'd like to remind that last year in MHL he had similar numbers. With that being said, I don't view him as a standalone offense generator, someone definitely needs to deliver the puck to him, also he is not the guy you would like to see defending. Had an impression that Chicago might be looking for this kind of sniping wingers with one of their 5th round picks.

15. Kirill Ustimenko (GK; 6'3" 179 lbs; MHK Dynamo St. Petersburg, MHL)

Ustimenko is a big, calm and confident goalie with a good mobility. Looks like he isn't exactly into the highlight reel saves, but stops what he should stop and even rebound control looks pretty solid for his age. So, if we compare him to Zhukov, I feel that while Ustimenko doesn't have a huge upside, he is a much safer pick. Had an impression that he would look good in New Jersey's goalie prospect pool.

Wanted to show this gif of Kosorenkov. Steve Kournianos from thedraftanalysis.com had him has the top overager in the draft.

ISS had him ranked #78 in the 2016 draft. Couldnt find his 2017 rankings.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Wanted to show this gif of Kosorenkov. Steve Kournianos from thedraftanalysis.com had him has the top overager in the draft.

ISS had him ranked #78 in the 2016 draft. Couldnt find his 2017 rankings.

That's insane, and awesome. Magua posted a video of his highlights somewhere the other day (I can't remember which thread), and he looked really, really good. They are only highlights, so take it with a grain of salt obviously, but he was really churning out there.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Pitkanen had all the talent in the world, but was very fragile mentally. When things didnt go well for him and the fans started to get on him he could not handle it. he never could figure out how to handle adversity.
I just think he expected everything to come easy for him and when it didnt he couldnt handle it. Definitely was an enigma.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Pitkanen had all the talent in the world, but was very fragile mentally. When things didnt go well for him and the fans started to get on him he could not handle it. he never could figure out how to handle adversity.
I just think he expected everything to come easy for him and when it didnt he couldnt handle it. Definitely was an enigma.

Like you, I am basically an old man, and I was fully grown (sort of) by the time we drafted him, and he drove me bats**t crazy from day one. Everything about him did - his foot injuries, everything. That's not to say that he was terrible or anything, but just that he wrecked my brain. And when I think about that time in general, I realize why I am attached (to a fault) to our young prospects. I mean, we just went whole eras with a nothing pipeline compared to other teams - we had good players on the big team, but on the back end, in the system, we were so bereft for so long, and that's the most exciting and interesting thing about an organization to me - the drafting and developing of young players, because they represent hope and renewal (and, the way I am, they represent a chance for revenge against all of the teams and all of the players that have p***ed me off and gotten themselves on my list lol).

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Like you, I am basically an old man, and I was fully grown (sort of) by the time we drafted him, and he drove me bats**t crazy from day one. Everything about him did - his foot injuries, everything. That's not to say that he was terrible or anything, but just that he wrecked my brain. And when I think about that time in general, I realize why I am attached (to a fault) to our young prospects. I mean, we just went whole eras with a nothing pipeline compared to other teams - we had good players on the big team, but on the back end, in the system, we were so bereft for so long, and that's the most exciting and interesting thing about an organization to me - the drafting and developing of young players, because they represent hope and renewal (and, the way I am, they represent a chance for revenge against all of the teams and all of the players that have p***ed me off and gotten themselves on my list lol).

He definitely was for the most part one of those kids when you watch play you were always wanting more. Because you knew he had it in him. There were games like Chuck mentioned where he would go to that level of play and was sure a joy to watch. it was few and far between unfortunately.
of course Fedotenko went in that deal and he did his part torturing the Flyers every chance he got which didnt help matters.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He definitely was for the most part one of those kids when you watch play you were always wanting more. Because you knew he had it in him. There were games like Chuck mentioned where he would go to that level of play and was sure a joy to watch. it was few and far between unfortunately.
of course Fedotenko went in that deal and he did his part torturing the Flyers every chance he got which didnt help matters.

I had completely forgotten about that :cry: I am going to wallow in the present state of things like a pig in s*** and just forget any of that ever happened.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

That's what bothered me the most about that deal, not that he was gone but he always stepped it up against us. Especially the next season when he had a big hand in eliminating the Flyers. What could have been....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad