2017 NHL Draft - Part 3 -- The aftermath

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
After the 2004 loss, I sat outside of a bowling alley while my friends were inside and smashed empty beer bottles up against the side of the building.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Rico may have been ready for the Cup Final as well.
but its been a story all to familiar. get close and have the rug yanked from underneath your feet.

He would have made the difference for sure.

That playoffs reminds me of the Markov trade too....one of Clarke's worst trades ever.

After the 2004 loss, I sat outside of a bowling alley while my friends were inside and smashed empty beer bottles up against the side of the building.

I stood on my balcony and yelled and then terrorized the town as a pissed off and drunk Flyers fan.

I think it's hard for any Flyers fan to forget that. One Cup would make everything better.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Some good write ups on our selections:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017_16.html

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017_15.html

10. Isaac Ratcliffe - Forward - Guelph Storm
Ratcliffe is a very interesting prospect that is available this year. I could see him being drafted anywhere from 15 to 50. He has some extremely alluring qualities to NHL scouts. First thing you notice is his size at 6'6. And he skates very well, with good speed and acceleration. But he's also not even 200lbs yet. As he fills out, I don't think we truly know how good he could be. Ratcliffe's other best quality is his shot. He has an absolute rocket of a wrist shot and I think he's got big time scoring potential. Once he's able to add that aforementioned strength, he'll be able to generate more scoring chances for himself as he can protect the puck better and look to be aggressive in driving the middle of the ice. His physical game is inconsistent and that's another area of his game that will need to improve. Ditto for discipline. Anyone who watched the U18's can tell you that he struggled with some lazy stick penalties and it was the same in Guelph too. He has the potential to be an excellent defensive player though with his size and skating ability. Playing for Guelph is a wild card all in itself. Because of how bad Guelph was at times this year, he had a propensity to disappear at times. He went an entire month without scoring a goal later in the year. And when he's not scoring, that's when the physical game and the cycle game really need to activate to make him more noticeable. Bottom line, the key word with Ratcliffe is potential, which I've already used several times to describe him. Huge kid who could develop as a scoring power forward under the right tutelage and with improvements to his conditioning. You can listen to Ratcliffe's segment on The Pipe-Cast, here.

11. Matthew Strome - Forward - Hamilton Bulldogs
Strome takes a bit of a tumble in my final rankings, falling outside of my top 10. The reason for that is two fold. I think Strome struggled a bit down the stretch, in the playoffs and at the U18's, and some of the other guys in that range (like Jason Robertson), did a bit more to edge him out. I'm still a believer in his abilities and NHL potential, I just think that he's more of a mid second round pick and not a first rounder. Outside of the fact that his two brothers were high NHL picks (Ryan and Dylan), I think the thing most people talk about with Matthew is his skating. It's not great, but it's definitely improved since he started in the OHL. While his top end speed may not have improved, his overall agility and balance definitely have IMO. If we're comparing Matthew to his brothers, he's sort of a different breed. He has his brothers' elite vision and playmaking ability, but he plays much more of a North/South power game than either Ryan or Dylan do. This is the part of his game which I really want to see continue to develop. He's at his best when he's physically aggressive, throwing his body around in the corners and driving the net with authority. He can be a tough player to stop then because of how soft his hands are and because of how smart he is.He sees the ice exceptionally well. But this disappears from his game at times and it limits his effectiveness because when he's not aggressive and using his size to slow the game down, his deficiencies in the skating department become evident. This is what happened at the U18's IMO, where he looked a touch behind the play on the bigger ice surface. Even if his skating never becomes an asset, he's smart enough, skilled enough, and big enough to make an impact as a complimentary scoring line option (think of a guy like Justin Williams or RJ Umberger).

16. Morgan Frost - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Frost, like Entwistle, has also been a favourite of mine among this crop of OHL prospects. He isn't blessed with the physical skills that Entwistle has been, but there are a lot of things to like about his game. He has the speed and agility you like to see in smaller/average sized centers. He also really processes the game well. Right now, his game is most noticeable on the powerplay where he makes such quick decisions with the puck and is fearless in using his speed to attack open lanes in the defense. And despite lacking in the strength department, Frost does a good job as a defensive player and faceoff man. Once he gets stronger, I think you'll see his production really increase. Thought he played very well in the playoffs, and finished the season off quite well. One thing that could also really benefit his game is improving his shot. Needs to get more velocity behind it and keep defenders guessing, preventing them from playing the pass off the rush. But I really like Frost's potential as a two-way top 6 center at the NHL level. Think David Krejci, Vincent Trocheck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone know when the Flyers prospect page will be updated? We don't even have last years drafted players rated.

Your best bet is to wait until after our board poll is finished. We are on the #2 prospect today. Patrick was voted #1 and Sanheim is cruising to a 2nd place victory.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
AHL
RW Nicolas Aube-Kubel
RW Cole Bardreau
C Radel Fazleev
RD Mark Friedman
LW Tyrell Goulbourne
LW Taylor Leier
G Alex Lyon
LW Danick Martel
LD Travis Sanheim
RD Philippe Myers
G Anthony Stolarz
RD Reece Willcox
C Michael Veechione
C Mikhail Vorobyov

CHL (OHL, QMJHL, & WHL)
C Connor Bunnaman
C Morgan Frost
G Carter Hart
RW Pascal Laberge
LW Isaac Ratcliffe
C German Rubtsov
RW Anthony Salinitri
LW Matthew Strome
RW Maksim Sushko
LW Carsen Twarynski

KHL
G Ivan Fedotov
G Kirill Ustimenko

NCAA
RW Wade Allison
LD Terrance Amorosa
LD David Drake
LD Wyatt Kalynuk
C Tanner Laczynski
C Cooper Marody
LW Brendan Warren

NHL
LD Robert Hagg
LD Samuel Morin
LW Oskar Lindblom
C Nolan Patrick

SHL
LD David Bernhardt
LD Linus Hogberg
RW David Kase
C Olle Lycksell
G Felix Sandstrom

USHL
LW Noah Cates
G Matej Tomek

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Neither Pitkanen or Lehtivuori worked out. Lehtivuori was just more recent. At least the return for Pitkanen was decent.

Ryan Sittler was by far a bigger disappointment for me and after that Mark Pederson (if you`re talking NHLers). Adam Oates trade was freakin` terrible too and could have been worse if any of the assets given up had panned out for the Caps.

You are making me relive my Flyer's past and it is depressing me. I was so excited when we traded for Mark Pederson. I was so excited when we got Brendl. The Adam Oates trade was really bad, although Oullette never did anything. Still, giving up your last year's first round pick for a guy entering UFA at the end of the year was horrible.

My first memory of being excited about a Flyer prospect was when Magnus Roupe came in late in the season in 1988. That's when I started to become jaded.

That Darryl Sittler draft also brought us Jason Bowen. Horrible memories. How horrid were those years. Ugh.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Anyone keep track each year of how they would have made the selections based on their own personal draft list, without having the benefit of hindsight to know who gets selected when? Here's how I would've picked them for the Flyers over the past handful of years strictly based on BPA per my lists:

2017:

2) Nolan Patrick (1st on my list - went 2nd overall obviously)
27) Eeli Tolvanen (30th overall)
35) David Farrance (92nd overall)
80) Zach Gallant (83rd overall)
106) Jordy Bellerive (undrafted)
107) Sebastian Repo (184th overall)
137) Linus Olund (155th overall)
168) Ben Jones (189th overall)
196) Micah Miller (undrafted)

2016:

22) Max Jones (16th on my list - went 24th overall)
36) Carter Hart (48th overall)
48) Victor Mete (100th overall)
52) Carl Grundstrom (57th overall)
82) Josh Mahura (85th overall)
109) Jordan Sambrook (137th overall)
139) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (147th overall)
169) xxx
172) xxx
199) xxx

*Note: I didn't have as much time as usual to compile a complete draft list this year, so these picks were as far as my rankings went.

2015:

7) Ivan Provorov (4th on my list - went 7th overall)
24) Travis Konecny (24th overall)
70) Alexandre Carrier (115th overall)
90) Michael Spacek (108th overall)
98) Jesse Gabrielle (105th overall)
104) Ethan Bear (124th overall)
128) Connor Hobbs (143rd overall)
158) Simon Bourque (177th overall)
188) Brett McKenzie (undrafted in 2015; drafted 194th overall in 2016)

2014:

17) Robby Fabbri (6th on my list - went 21st overall)
48) Ryan Donato (56th overall)
86) Shane Gersich (134th overall)
138) Tyson Baillie (undrafted)
168) Kyle Jenkins (187th overall)
198) Reid Gardiner (undrafted)

2013:

11) Max Domi (7th on my list - went 12th overall)
41) Robert Hagg (41st overall)
72) Jackson Houck (94th overall)
132) Greg Chase (188th overall)
162) Viktor Arvidsson (undrafted in 2013; drafted 112th overall in 2014)
192) Kyle Burroughs (196th overall)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was on vacation after the loss to Tampa so it gave me a decent chance to stew.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
A question for the prospect gurus here how many of the flyers prospects now would u consider blue chip can't miss prospects? I will say Myers, sanheim,morin,Patrick, rubtsov,lindblom,sandstrom,hart I count 8.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
A question for the prospect gurus here how many of the flyers prospects now would u consider blue chip can't miss prospects? I will say Myers, sanheim,morin,Patrick, rubtsov,lindblom,sandstrom,hart I count 8.

I wouldn't call the majority a "can't miss" prospect. Nolan Patrick would be the closest to it. Sandstrom and Hart should be good but you just never know with Goalies. The next group of guys should make the NHL but I'm not sure in what roles:

Myers - Could be awesome. Could be a 7.
Sanheim - Probably middle pairing?? We will see how he adjusts.
Morin - Solid, sturdy, and reliable D man. Pair him with Ghost or another offensive guy.
Rubstov - I think he is going to be good but I also like Vorobyov for a similar role. Middle 6 smart player.
Lindblom - Great puck possession. Somewhere in the top 9.

Thats how I see it, but I'm also higher and lower on some than others.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I wouldn't call the majority a "can't miss" prospect. Nolan Patrick would be the closest to it. Sandstrom and Hart should be good but you just never know with Goalies. The next group of guys should make the NHL but I'm not sure in what roles:

Morin - Solid, sturdy, and reliable D man. Pair him with Ghost or another offensive guy.
Rubstov - I think he is going to be good but I also like Vorobyov for a similar role. Middle 6 smart player.

Being honest atleast. Most think they'll all be stars. Let's hope.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Blue chip and can't miss are terms that probably mean different things to different people. I honestly rate 12 skaters as prospects who are highly likely to be NHL regulars. That could mean anything from #1 center or defenseman to #6 defenseman or at worst a 4th liner. For me, goalies are too erratic to list here. Plus we have a lot of other prospects with a solid chance to make it, but I wouldn't qualify as highly likely at the moment.

1- Patrick
2- Sanheim
3- Myers
4- Lindblom
5- Rubtsov
6- Frost
7- Vorobyov
8- Laczynski
9- Hagg
10- Allison
11- Ratcliffe
12- Morin

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

I'm a little more optimistic on these guys, with them likely being:

Meyers - 2nd pairing, assuming injuries don't become a problem
Sanheim - #2 or #3, but no worse than second pair, potentially VERY good.
Morin - shutdown dman, 2nd/3rd pair and lots of PK time
Rubtsov - wildcard, but I'm thinking wing more likely than center, and middle 6 at that.
Lindblom - top 6 wing (nearest to cant miss)

But I do agree that none fit the bill as "can't miss" prospects.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All we can ask for is positive development once they get drafted.

And when you look at our prospects, we do have a very high rate of guys continuing to get better. Now it doesn't mean they will be impact players or even make it. Look at Fazleev and Leier. Both got better after being drafted, but they were likely 4th liners if they made it anyways.

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in how good they have been. But you know what, they EARNED IT INDIVIDUALLY.

Provy earned his praise with CHL dman of the year then a great rookie season
Ghost earned it with his Frozen 4 performance then Calder runner up
Sanheim earned it with the top WHL PPG in 20 years for a Dman
Myers earned it with Q All Star selection and WJC showing
Lindblom earned it with Swedish Forward of the Year
Etc...

The point is, we are not taking 3rd round picks and propping them up for no reason. We have just been blessed with great drafting as of late and the kids have earned their praise on their own.

Look at Laberge this year. No praise because he has not earned it. Or Hagg before this last season. Or NAK because he has not earned it. We don't need to artificially hype guys because we have enough guys who have earned the hype on their own merit.

It's a far cry from where our prospect group was years ago.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
that 2003-2004 year is imo an example of what it takes to win the stanley cup.

clarke made so many bad decisions that year. And the worst decision he made was to hang on to richards and carter. Imagine if he packaged those two and pitkanen to get pronger. We would have won the stanley cup. This is an example of a team that tried to have it both ways and got neither. If you want to win the cup you have to go all out.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Blue chip and can't miss are terms that probably mean different things to different people. I honestly rate 12 skaters as prospects who are highly likely to be NHL regulars. That could mean anything from #1 center or defenseman to #6 defenseman or at worst a 4th liner. For me, goalies are too erratic to list here. Plus we have a lot of other prospects with a solid chance to make it, but I wouldn't qualify as highly likely at the moment.

1- Patrick
2- Sanheim
3- Myers
4- Lindblom
5- Rubtsov
6- Frost
7- Vorobyov
8- Laczynski
9- Hagg
10- Allison
11- Ratcliffe
12- Morin

Yes i should have worded it differently...interesting u have frost so high in ur rankings I have to read up more on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad