2017 NHL Draft - Part 3 -- The aftermath

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't remember seeing this anywhere on here......but the Flyers reportedly invited Ivan Kosorenkov, 19 year old Russian who plays for Victoriaville, to their rookie camp. Really solid invite, and he's a player who played with Rubtsov last year for Russian u18 team and now with Laberge in the Q. They know him intimately no doubt. Comfort level with Flyers players too for camp purposes.

Honestly he has the chance to be more than just a camp invite for space filling, especially with how many guys we have at forward already in the fold. A lot more exciting than any invite from last year.....very skilled all around, with some real flash ability. Would be a nice compliment to many of our picks. He could've gone middle rounds no problem. Maybe some real signing potential. I'd be down for that.

(Former Flyers great DMF is going to Calgary's camp too)

Caser has good writ ups on Russuan guys in the prospects section. Here is Kosorenkovs and Usti's.

13. Ivan Kosorenkov (LW/RW; 6'0" 181 lbs; Victoriaville Tigres, QMJHL; 1 year overage)

Kosorenkov's bread and butter is his goal-scoring ability: he is a very calm and confident executor plus he got good hands and skating and got the nose for the goalscoring opportunities. His shooting percentage this season was 22.4% which might lead to a thought that he is just lucky, but then I'd like to remind that last year in MHL he had similar numbers. With that being said, I don't view him as a standalone offense generator, someone definitely needs to deliver the puck to him, also he is not the guy you would like to see defending. Had an impression that Chicago might be looking for this kind of sniping wingers with one of their 5th round picks.

15. Kirill Ustimenko (GK; 6'3" 179 lbs; MHK Dynamo St. Petersburg, MHL)

Ustimenko is a big, calm and confident goalie with a good mobility. Looks like he isn't exactly into the highlight reel saves, but stops what he should stop and even rebound control looks pretty solid for his age. So, if we compare him to Zhukov, I feel that while Ustimenko doesn't have a huge upside, he is a much safer pick. Had an impression that he would look good in New Jersey's goalie prospect pool.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
6 OHL prospects in the system now. I spent most of the last 3 seasons watching the WHL and the Q. It will be good to see some fresh faces.
And I'll get to watch them on local cable vs. the Bulldogs!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Flyers in general has made it harder for non-drafted guys to get invited. This year, with all the prospects we have, got to think it's harder.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
CHL Top Prospects - Patrick Frost Ratcliffe Strome

Here's a link to the CHL 2017 Top Prospects game.

Team Cherry-Red
19 Patrick
91 Ratcliffe

Team Orr-White
61 Frost
18 Strome

Strome's skating doesn't look THAT bad, he's always in position.
Frost really thinks the game well.
Ratcliffe - nice goal and some nice plays
Patrick's Patrick. Stud.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Strome's skating doesn't look THAT bad, he's always in position.
Frost really thinks the game well.
Ratcliffe - nice goal and some nice plays
Patrick's Patrick. Stud.

tenor.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As a Penguin fan I was hoping/banking on Philly being stupid and having zero patience. It's shocking and sad (so good news for your guys) to see how smart the Flyers are being these last two years.

Ovechkin is 32 Malkin is 31 Crosby is 30 next season.

In these next few years the Flyers will on the rise and the Caps/Pens/Rags will be cycling down.

Damnit but aren't the Flyers building right. :(

That was one of the nicest backhanded compliments I have read on here. ;) Among the most important initial moves was putting stupid impatience in another position down the hall away from the phones.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Looking at everyone's draft, I have to say.......for being one of the worst teams in history and so badly needing talent everywhere and restoring order, I thought the Avs may have had one of the worst. They were targeting boom/bust players at almost every single pick, and we know how those types usually work out. The occasional one is fine, but often there's a happy medium. They need to actually hit. Plus they have some elite talent already. They're not the issue.

Makar, ok. Riskiest pick in the top 5-7, but that's a worthwhile risk, but it wasn't counterbalanced. Then Timmins at 32. Smart but his skating is so clunky and bad on pivots and first strides as a d-man. Another risk pick pretty high. Not boom/bust but Nick Henry felt like a reach, despite his rankings. Like him at that level, but I see an undersized guy with no standout traits and average skating. Maybe a bottom 6 type? Don't know what he is. Then Igor Shvyryov, pure classical boom/bust flashy pick, who I'm not sure can play in NA and who has atrocious effort levels at times. Smirnov, undersized and poor skating.... can he play in the NHL? I like the odd risk/reward pick -- but what are they doing? Almost every pick of theirs could flame out. Talk about a franchise that could take a page from the Flyers floor and ceiling draft playbook.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking at everyone's draft, I have to say.......for being one of the worst teams in history and so badly needing talent everywhere and restoring order, I thought the Avs may have had one of the worst. They were targeting boom/bust players at almost every single pick, and we know how those types usually work out. The occasional one is fine, but often there's a happy medium. They need to actually hit.

Makar, ok. Riskiest pick in the top 5-7, but that's a worthwhile risk, but it wasn't counterbalanced. Then Timmins at 32. Smart but his skating is so clunky and bad on pivots and first strides as a d-man. Another risk pick pretty high. Not boom/bust but Nick Henry felt like a reach, despite his rankings. Like him at that level, but I see an undersized guy with no standout traits and average skating. Maybe a bottom 6 type? Don't know what he is. Then Igor Shvyryov, pure classical boom/bust flashy pick, who I'm not sure can play in NA and who has atrocious effort levels at times. Smirnov, undersized and poor skating.... can he play in the NHL? I like the odd risk/reward pick -- but what are they doing? Almost every pick of theirs could flame out. Talk about a franchise that could take a page from the Flyers floor and ceiling draft playbook.

Sakic is one of the worst GMs in the league, so that explains that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm thinking "Head Finland Scout" would be a good position to shuffle Lappy to next....

It was like the draft of an HF poster

They won 2 Cups in my lifetime so im fine watching them suck forever

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For a while there they weren't missing out on much, but that country has been producing some gems over the last handful of years.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Unrelated, but I can't think of a worse prospect for the Leafs to have taken than Liljegren.....just for the response on this forum. He's controversial and will end up with thread XVIII by next week. Debate will never end. Couldn't have taken someone blander?

For a while there they weren't missing out on much, but that country has been producing some gems over the last handful of years.

Canes are using top 50 picks on Finns every single year, even reaching against consensus. Took 3 this year overall. They're not looking bad so far in trying to corner the market.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I found it very curious Dennis Patterson was all the way at the end of the draft table. Is he retiring or is a structural change taking place in our scouting hierarchy?

The normal seating setup has lately been Hextall, then moving left with Pryor, Patterson, Greig, Hearty, etc. This year Greig was in Patterson's spot.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unrelated, but I can't think of a worse prospect for the Leafs to have taken than Liljegren.....just for the response on this forum. He's controversial and will end up with thread XVIII by next week. Debate will never end. Couldn't have taken someone blander?

I get what you're saying... but man it'd be like this no matter who they take.

If they take a good pick then it's constant talk about his obvious potential and how everyone else is just trashing him cause they can't have him.

If it's a bland pick then he had hidden potential and everyone is just hating on him because they haven't seen him enough.

If it's a controversial pick then he has so much potential and everyone else is just jealous because their team didn't have the foresight to take him.

:laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Paterson was the rep for the draft lottery, so he still must be somebody, or he was the only one who could show up

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Outside of their top picks which mostly been easy picks I really haven't been a fan of how Toronto drafts when the draft goes on & there's more variance. Just not a fan of the type of players they typically target. A lot of re-entries & gigantic defensemen who don't seem to offer much offensively. To me it just looks like they go more for what they feel are safer picks.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Outside of their top picks which mostly been easy picks I really haven't been a fan of how Toronto drafts when the draft goes on & there's more variance. Just not a fan of the type of players they typically target. A lot of re-entries & gigantic defensemen who don't seem to offer much offensively. To me it just looks like they go more for what they feel are safer picks.

They're fortunate that they have as elite a top 3 forward core as it gets already, but they still need to build their defense up, and we'll see if they do.

Hunter took over in 2015. They did take guys like Dzierkals and Bracco, but they're flashy guys whose games might not even translate. And progressively they've been taking more and more of the type you mention. It's like they don't know a middle ground. Korshkov may have been a reach, but he and Grundstrom could be solid.

Liljegren is the former type with the Braccos, and Rasanen is the latter type. Leaf fans probably think they have the next Chychrun, despite Liljegren's fall being totally different. Rasanen is just an oaf in every way, and almost all his points were PP. Wouldn't surprise me to see Babs over there dictating for them to take RHD after taking LHD, so he doesn't have a conniption fit at the thought of not having 3 LHD-3 RHD.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
CHL Import Draft is Wednesday afternoon est.

I don't think the Flyers will have anyone drafted but other recent picks around the league should. Some clarity on Rubtsov's situation for next year could possibly be foreshadowed though.

born bad

May 27, 2002
Bodenburg, Germany
I thought that was Niittymaki? Maybe he's just scouting Euro goalies...

I remember another goalie from finland.
First thought he was drafted, but can`t rember his name, but google helped : Nico Hovinen.

But he was not drafted from the flyers, he signend in 2011, drafted by minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad