NFL: 2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread (Bucs keep Koetter/GB signs Adams)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If i recall correctly, a couple scouts said the same things about Apple. Something about having no people skills and being tough to work with.

Must be worse than they thought when you have your own teammates coming out and saying you're a cancer on the radio for the whole world to hear. Whole locker room might need to be cleaned out Jets style at this point.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sounds like those scouts weren't wrong about Apple lacking "life skills". Meanwhile Marquise Goodwin loses a child and his father in a span of a month and balls out with a career year.

Pretty much this. Apple comes off as a trash player and a trash teammate. He never stands near his teammates on the sidelines. He made a ton of anonymous comments to the media. Not a single player comes to his defense.

I just can't wait until this guy is off the team. Sunk cost; move on.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I don't think Ryan has been bad this year, save for that Saints game. The numbers are not there, but guys like Goff will light it up against bad defenses and self destruct against better ones. He's also aided by YAC that Ryan hasn't seemed to get this year. I've said it a few times, but I really think they're not utilizing their backs in the screen game enough this year. Freeman and Coleman have combined for only 52 catches this year after grabbing 85 last (Ward only adds +2 to this season).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No one has ever questioned Flowers effort or his football character. He's just an extremely raw player that will eventually be ok. Apple has more talent and has coverage skills but his terrible attitude and lack of effort will dog him. Once a guy is tagged as a quitter or lazy, he's a leper in football circles.

Reactions: Voight

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think Ryan has been bad this year, save for that Saints game. The numbers are not there, but guys like Goff will light it up against bad defenses and self destruct against better ones. He's also aided by YAC that Ryan hasn't seemed to get this year. I've said it a few times, but I really think they're not utilizing their backs in the screen game enough this year. Freeman and Coleman have combined for only 52 catches this year after grabbing 85 last (Ward only adds +2 to this season).

Sark's gameplanning and playcalling are questionable to say the least.

Reactions: What the Faulk

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Falcons lead the league in drops and 8 of Ryan's 12 picks were literally right in the receiver's hands. He hasn't been great, but everyone has let him down, Julio is 2nd in the league himself in drops.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Rivera's shirt game has been on fire lately

Panthers also signed Austin Duke to their practice squad, so it doesn't look like they're even considering someone like Philly Brown (as Rivera said). Fully expect Duke to start at some point. Not because he's good (he was the #9 guy in camp), but because that's how it's been down the stretch.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

I’m on mobile so can’t post the link but I saw another article on Twitter that quotes Apple’s sister-in-law who tweeted about what has happened in their family this year. Basically Annie cheated on the step dad with the best man from their wedding and has cut Eli off from the rest of the family.

I thought it was kind of strange when she dropped him off at camp like it was Kindergarten lol and that he still lives with her but now everything makes more sense. Eli obviously has some serious growing up to do but I think his mom is playing a huge part in his downfall this year

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd wager he's definitely getting traded, and I thought that before this was going on.
Who the hell would trade for a guy who is hated by just about every member of his team and who is such a disaster in the locker room? I can't imagine any team wanting any part of Apple in a trade.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Giants missed badly on two straight top 10 picks.

Flowers is a decent player. A miss (I was furious we didn't pick Gurley), but at least a guy who has improved every year and isn't a headcase.

Twitter talk now about the suspension and acts during the year may be enough to void his guaranteed money. That'd be great.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Flowers is pretty bad, but you have to give the guy credit. Blocked out the criticism, put his head down and just went to work. Played through injury too.

Compare that to Eli Apple, who constantly whined about his situation. While he was injured, he was congratulating the opposing team for scoring on the Giants from his couch on twitter.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anyone expecting Ryan to come anywhere close to last years performance should stop smoking. It was very clear last season was just an outlier/peak season of the Gannon class. Last year was just a year where everything clicked and Shanahan did some magic.

His numbers this year are right around his 2008-2015 form. Most of us knew he was never going to come close to that kind of performance again.

Sucks for Atlanta tho, hes going to cost a fortune this summer when they sign him to an extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad