NFL: 2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread (Bucs keep Koetter/GB signs Adams)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Here's a stat for you: over their last 9 games, the Panthers, Saints, and Falcons have combined for a record of 34-7. If you remove the games they played against each other, you get 30-3 record. The only teams to beat them over the last two months are the Rams (beat NO), the Vikings (beat Falcons), and the Bears (ugh). That's pretty incredible. This division is so stacked:

QB: Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan
RB: Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram, Devonta Freeman, Christian McCaffrey
WR: Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Devin Funchess, Ted Ginn, Desean Jackson
TE: Greg Olsen, Cameron Brate, OJ Howard
C: Alex Mack, Ryan Kalil
OT: Terron Armstead, Daryl Williams, Ryan Ramczyk, Jake Matthews
OG: Trai Turner, Andrew Norwell, Andy Levitre, Evan Smith

DE: Cameron Jordan, Julius Peppers, Mario Addison, Robert Ayers
DT: Gerald McCoy, Kawann Short, Dontari Poe, Sheldon Rankins, Star Lotulelei
LB: Luke Kuechly, Vic Beasley, Lavonte David, Deion Jones, Thomas Davis
CB: Marshon Lattimore, Desmond Trufant, Ken Crawley, James Bradberry, Brent Grimes
S: Keanu Neal, Marcus Williams, Kurt Coleman
K: Graham Gano
P: Michael Palardy

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Koetter coming back is a big surprise. Jameis regressed and they underachieved in a big way this season.

These things change all the time so it won't last long but Adams, who is nowhere near being a top five WR, is going to be paid like one based on his $14.5M/yr average.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Gurley could really use the rest after the last two weeks, and Goff has played twice the amount of games he played last year so i can see why they want to rest them.
It really is a meaningless game for them. That said, I think SF would have beaten them with their full line up.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
^ Good job Florio

Makes sense. Nelson isn't getting any younger.

Jordy gone next season then? Seems crazy over 40% of the cap goes to Rodgers and 3 WRs. Then add on Bennett's dead cap space.

With all the holes exposed this year, think they would want to allocate salary cap space to more positions.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I definitely think one of Cobb or Nelson are going to hit the streets. Cobb is the better player right now, but Jordy's rapport with Rodgers might give him the edge.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here's a stat for you: over their last 9 games, the Panthers, Saints, and Falcons have combined for a record of 34-7. If you remove the games they played against each other, you get 30-3 record. The only teams to beat them over the last two months are the Rams (beat NO), the Vikings (beat Falcons), and the Bears (ugh). That's pretty incredible. This division is so stacked:

QB: Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan
RB: Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram, Devonta Freeman, Christian McCaffrey
WR: Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Devin Funchess, Ted Ginn, Desean Jackson
TE: Greg Olsen, Cameron Brate, OJ Howard
C: Alex Mack, Ryan Kalil
OT: Terron Armstead, Daryl Williams, Ryan Ramczyk, Jake Matthews
OG: Trai Turner, Andrew Norwell, Andy Levitre, Evan Smith

DE: Cameron Jordan, Julius Peppers, Mario Addison, Robert Ayers
DT: Gerald McCoy, Kawann Short, Dontari Poe, Sheldon Rankins, Star Lotulelei
LB: Luke Kuechly, Vic Beasley, Lavonte David, Deion Jones, Thomas Davis
CB: Marshon Lattimore, Desmond Trufant, Ken Crawley, James Bradberry, Brent Grimes
S: Keanu Neal, Marcus Williams, Kurt Coleman
K: Graham Gano
P: Michael Palardy
'Cuz don't act like Thomas Morestead isn't the best punter in the division.

Speaking of the Panthers, do we know what they're doing on Sunday?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
'Cuz don't act like Thomas Morestead isn't the best punter in the division.

Speaking of the Panthers, do we know what they're doing on Sunday?

Hah, for that one I just kinda went the homer route because, while Palardy has played well this year, I don't think he's been the best.

I'm guessing they'll play their guys and minimize the ones that are hurting like Funchess, and maybe Olsen plays fewer snaps on the turf just to protect his foot. But Cam and McCaffrey etc. will likely be full goes unless either game gets out of hand. The depth WRs need to get some meaningful time in with Cam, anyway.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hah, for that one I just kinda went the homer route because, while Palardy has played well this year, I don't think he's been the best.

I'm guessing they'll play their guys and minimize the ones that are hurting like Funchess, and maybe Olsen plays fewer snaps on the turf just to protect his foot. But Cam and McCaffrey etc. will likely be full goes unless either game gets out of hand. The depth WRs need to get some meaningful time in with Cam, anyway.
Good. Do the damn thing.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I understand why the Rams are doing what they're doing but I can't see either the Panthers or Saints laying down with the division at stake. Anyway, that Panthers/Falcons game is likely to be so chippy that competitiveness will take over.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The Falcons got literally Space Jam dunked on last game.

poster.gif

They're going to be out for blood. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I understand why the Rams are doing what they're doing but I can't see either the Panthers or Saints laying down with the division at stake. Anyway, that Panthers/Falcons game is likely to be so chippy that competitiveness will take over.
The Rams giving up on it removes an obstacle for the Panthers in regard to getting the bye. The Rams cannot get the bye no matter what.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The Rams giving up on it removes an obstacle for the Panthers in regard to getting the bye. The Rams cannot get the bye no matter what.

I would say there's no way the Bears or Saints are losing their games, but Winston has been playing good football over the last two and nearly knocked off the Falcons and Panthers. I don't see how the Vikings lose their game, though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would say there's no way the Bears or Saints are losing their games, but Winston has been playing good football over the last two and nearly knocked off the Falcons and Panthers. I don't see how the Vikings lose their game, though.

Tampa Bay has been playing hard. Bet that game stays close.

2017 2nd round pick Sidney Jones is going to play tomorrow for the Eagles. Joe Walker was put on IR to make room for him, which wasn't done specific to Jones, they were just able to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad