2017 NFL Off-Season News Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kelvin is fat again.

That's the word. Rivera denied he's up to the reported 280 lbs but he must be pretty big for Rivera to publicly say he's concerned. I was worried about him even before hearing he's out of shape.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

wut

They could cut him before the new league year next year and owe him nothing. If he has a bad year, they cut him. If he has a good year, they have him for 2018.

Kelvin Benjamin's 5th year option picked up. Sammy Watkins' wasn't.

Why? I know he's been injury prone, but they gave up so much to take him, and he's been good when healthy.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, I've heard the same about Benjamin. 280 is unacceptable. He was "in trouble" when he was floating around 260. He's almost a defensive end at that height/weight.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
For what it's worth, Rivera denied the 280 number, which was only "reported" and never officially confirmed, but was pretty open about him being overweight.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bills won't be picking up Sammy Watkins' fifth year option.

Should make for an interesting add somewhere.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Foot problems for a receiver reliant on quickness, agility and speed=death.

Watkins has still played great when he's been healthy. His first three years are very similar to Julio Jones' first three years. Not saying he'll get to Julio's level, but I'm not ready to give up on him.

Still an incredibly bad tradeup at the time.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bills won't be picking up Sammy Watkins' fifth year option.

Should make for an interesting add somewhere.

If he has big year they can just use franchise tag on him

Bears declined 5th year option on CB Kyle Fuller who people haven't seen for ages

The once promising CB has had career fall off pretty dramatically in recent years. Missed all of last year and had issues with management

Could be cut if he has a poor camp

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Watkins has still played great when he's been healthy. His first three years are very similar to Julio Jones' first three years. Not saying he'll get to Julio's level, but I'm not ready to give up on him.

Still an incredibly bad tradeup at the time.

Depends on if its a chronic issue.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If he has big year they can just use franchise tag on him

Bears declined 5th year option on CB Kyle Fuller who people haven't seen for ages

The once promising CB has had career fall off pretty dramatically in recent years. Missed all of last year and had issues with management

Could be cut if he has a poor camp

The Steelers missed two guys they loved in that draft, and had to "settle" with Ryan Shazier.. they loved Kyle Fuller and Odell Beckham. Shows just how random the whole process can be.

And yeah, agreed on the franchise tag for Watkins. I looked ahead and the Bills don't really have anything else that could potentially be franchised. They'd be out a few million bucks, but in this case the extra information on the player might be worth it.

Depends on if its a chronic issue.

Right, but up to this point he hasn't lost anything on the field, albeit in extremely brief flashes last year. He was one of the best WR's in the league down the stretch in 2015, too.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Unless I'm understanding it wrong, I thought the 5th option could be picked up, but the team could cut the player without dead money before the new league year?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unless I'm understanding it wrong, I thought the 5th option could be picked up, but the team could cut the player without dead money before the new league year?

Yes, unless the guy is injured. That's why it's a no-brainer for most teams, but with Watkins' injury issues they decided to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad