2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because not caring whether or not someone throws 15 INTs in 5 games and coming into the thread and bashing Eli every Sunday for throwing high or low is, to me, an extremely difficult concept to understand.

I'm not sure what you don't get since I pretty clearly laid it out. I don't care about stats with evaluating a guy like Webb. In a lost season, they are meaningless. We need to see if he makes the right passes, makes the right reads, and can see where pressure is coming from. Whether his WRs make the catches is meaningless if the passes aren't airmailed or awfully thrown.

We already know what Eli is and we know when his bad plays come. Eli is completely meaningless to this discussion, yet you somehow made it about him for some reason.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not sure what you don't get since I pretty clearly laid it out. I don't care about stats with evaluating a guy like Webb. In a lost season, they are meaningless. We need to see if he makes the right passes, makes the right reads, and can see where pressure is coming from. Whether his WRs make the catches is meaningless if the passes aren't airmailed or awfully thrown.

We already know what Eli is and we know when his bad plays come. Eli is completely meaningless to this discussion, yet you somehow made it about him for some reason.
This is a discussion about benching Eli. Of course it's about him.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Would guess you guys have to start Geno for a week or two just so Webb can now get real reps in practice. I imagine as 3rd string QB he hasn't taken meaningful practice reps once preseason ended.

Eli should ask for his release, clear waivers, and go start for the Jags. Eli might be done, but Bortles is a disaster.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Uh, the analysis of the play of Geno and Webb is literally not about Eli Manning.
I think it's hypocritical to not care if a QB throws 15 INTs in 5 games or less as long as he has this sort of ability to 'read the defense' considering your Manning analysis over the course of the last two or three seasons. And then you brought into the fold tips and dropped balls which explain a solid amount of Eli's INTs. So, I found it hypocritical. If a Manning tipped ball ended up being picked you'd bash Eli for a bad pass. Webb and Geno don't, though?

But like I've said a million times... heavy is the head that wears the crown. Your feelings towards Eli are similar to your feelings towards Hank. And they are valid, but IMO, overblown.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I always wondered which era would end first- Eli or Henrik.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
McAdoo is a joke. All he’s done his entire time here is throw his players under the bus, Eli the most. I bet McAdoo truly thinks he’s been a great coach in his time here and it’s the players’ fault they suck.

What’s he point in playing Geno we know what he is. Either he sucks and you disrespected a legend and the fans for no reason in a lost season or Geno has a few good games and deludes then into thinking he’s the QB of the future.

Wanna move on from Eli after the season? Fine. Like this it’s just disrespectful.

And how is any of his Eli’s fault. No offensive line, no run game and all the good WR are hurt. Plus he has a coach who thinks he’s gods gift to football and smarter than everyone and overthinking everything. It’s a joke.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Love Eli, and the 2011 season will always be be one of the greatest NYC sports seasons of all time, but this is the only move that should be made. Eli himself is the one who said he didn't want to start if the plan was to cede time to Webb or Geno, and ceding time is the only strategy that makes actual sense this season.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
This was executed with a poor plan in mind and no preparation. Typical McAdoo

Dozens of former players are calling out the organization for handling this so poorly. The best part about this is Eli is handling it with grace and it hopefully puts the nail in Ben & Jerry's coffin. The Mara's & Tisch's can't be happy to see so much negativity being thrown at the organization for this.

Reactions: belford222

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
This was executed with a poor plan in mind and no preparation. Typical McAdoo

Dozens of former players are calling out the organization for handling this so poorly. The best part about this is Eli is handling it with grace and it hopefully puts the nail in Ben & Jerry's coffin. The Mara's & Tisch's can't be happy to see so much negativity being thrown at the organization for this.
Ben & Jerry need to get the Game of Thrones treatment. Heads, spikes, walls.

Reactions: NYGBleedBlueNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
McAdoo is a joke. All he’s done his entire time here is throw his players under the bus, Eli the most. I bet McAdoo truly thinks he’s been a great coach in his time here and it’s the players’ fault they suck.

What’s he point in playing Geno we know what he is. Either he sucks and you disrespected a legend and the fans for no reason in a lost season or Geno has a few good games and deludes then into thinking he’s the QB of the future.

Wanna move on from Eli after the season? Fine. Like this it’s just disrespectful.

And how is any of his Eli’s fault. No offensive line, no run game and all the good WR are hurt. Plus he has a coach who thinks he’s gods gift to football and smarter than everyone and overthinking everything. It’s a joke.

No, no, no, no, no. Sorry. The bold is completely wrong. We HAVE to take a look at what we have. We have to. Period. End of story. The only way we accomplish that is by playing the other QBs that we have.

I see Geno being used to insulate Webb. Webb isn't ready to start yet and certainly isn't ready to start with the insane, irrational hatred coming from some Giants fans. Firstly, thank God the next game is on the road. However, Geno will almost assuredly get booed at home (which is a disgrace). Let Geno bear the brunt of that and let Webb come in to the game. I'd like to see Webb get the lion's share of playing time, but Geno certainly has some uses.

But the idea that we should not give our young guys playing time in a lost season is so ridiculous that I can hardly even address it. It would be the single dumbest thing this franchise could do in a lost season. It would be, dare I say it, TC-esque.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Would guess you guys have to start Geno for a week or two just so Webb can now get real reps in practice. I imagine as 3rd string QB he hasn't taken meaningful practice reps once preseason ended.

Eli should ask for his release, clear waivers, and go start for the Jags. Eli might be done, but Bortles is a disaster.

I think Geno serves a few purposes. One, we get to see if he can reclaim his WVU skillset. Two, we get to see him insulate Webb both in terms of meaningful reps and in terms of fan/media criticism.

PFF is meh with OL and QBs, but Bortles and Eli are basically peer players right now in terms of their ratings.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I want all three gone, so I'm good with that. I'll take a 2nd and a 4th for Eli.

Yeah I'm done with Eli. Thanks for the memories. Time to move on. Felt the same with Jeter. I'll feel the same with Henrik. To be fair to Eli he's been dealt a crappy hand this season but he's a commodity and its just a matter of time that putrid line exposes him to a horrible injury. Trade him ASAP, get picks, fire the two turds and rebuild the offensive line.

I think the plan is to get Webb some snaps later in the season but it's meaninless because this move will lock up a Top-3 pick and they'll draft a QB.

The OUTRRRRRRAGE!!!!! will be gone in a week or two.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This is really gross what has happened with the Giants here. They're supposed to be a class organization and this is not that, this is nonsenese you would expect from Oakland or Dallas. I hope McAdoo is fired at the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad