2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
To me, this feels like when Sather traded Brian Leetch without telling. Sather should never have been allowed to make that move. Ditto McAdoo. He should never have been allowed to do this.

Am I speaking with my heart, instead of my head. I am.

There is no way possible that this was a Mac move. Dude is trying to save his job. Zero chance this came from anyone but upstairs.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
There is no way possible that this was a Mac move. Dude is trying to save his job. Zero chance this came from anyone but upstairs.

Exactly. Why are people NOT seeing this? NFL coaches have zero clout in these types of decisions involving franchise players.

Mara's a sneaky f*** for deciding to have MacAdoo make the announcement on a day he knew he'd be unavailable with Goodell meetings. Makes the messenger look like the bad guy.

Mara should have made the announcement.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Exactly. Why are people NOT seeing this? NFL coaches have zero clout in these types of decisions involving franchise players.

Mara's a sneaky **** for deciding to have MacAdoo make the announcement on a day he knew he'd be unavailable with Goodell meetings. Makes the messenger look like the bad guy.

Mara should have made the announcement.

This I agree with. This should've been a joint announcement between Mara, Reese, and Mac. All three of them.

I have a feeling that Mac is going to get canned and Reese survive all of this.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Also, let's not forget that someone in the Giants leaked that Mara directed scouting to start looking at the top QBs in the draft. That was purposely leaked, IMO.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So, NCAA football fans, who is the better choice- Rosen or Darnold?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How would Giants players react if QB Eli Manning gets benched? 'It would be disrespectful'

So this is incredibly interesting and I think we all missed it.

With that in mind, NJ Advance Media spoke to 14 players this week to gauge how a quarterback change in the second half of the season would be received in the locker room. Players were granted anonymity so they could provide unfiltered responses to a scenario that would send shockwaves through the organization.

None of the players surveyed offered outright support for a quarterback change. The strongest response came from a teammate who said "it would be disrespectful" to bench Manning based on his credentials and the fact that the team's woeful record isn't the quarterback's fault.

One player said a change wouldn't be received well because Manning gives the team the best chance to win and it would be "tough sledding" with a rookie quarterback. Another player said the reaction would depend on when a change was made. If Webb got a start at the end of the season, the player said it'd be easier to accept than it would be if Manning was benched in the near future.

Several players said it would be "crazy" to see a quarterback other than Manning under center for the Giants.

Interestingly, one player said he thought the reaction would be a 50-50 split, with half the team upset to see Manning benched and half the team happy to have a change. Another teammate said he thinks players would be OK with a change because "everyone's time comes."

The final paragraph is kind of stunning. I wish we got these candid interviews more often. It appears that a good chunk of the team was open to a change if that's actually accurate. This likely has been brewing for some time, as stated above.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So, NCAA football fans, who is the better choice- Rosen or Darnold?

I prefer Rosen, but he's apparently incredibly annoying. Darnold has a lot of potential and has really turned his game around since mid-season.

I'd go:

Rosen
Allen
Darnold
Jackson
Mayfield
Rudolph

In that order.

I would not be mad at any of the top five guys, there, if they all check out during the process. Rudolph was my #1 a while back, but he's really cooled off. There's still time for him as well depending on his bowl game and the process.

Edit: I'd actually be fine with Rudolph as well, I think. It all depends on how the team feels, how the guys do at bowl games, and how they do at the Combine and other off-season testing.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
And I don't think McAdoo is Ray Handley bad. The season ended when OBJ was hurt in the preseason. The Eagles' record would have made it impossible to win the division anyway. He'll catch on somewhere else but this season is ALL on Jerry Reeese.
This is just silly. The Giant offense sucked last year too. The only difference is the defense sucks this year.

Giants Average Drive
2016 Start - 27.6 YL Time - 2:21 Plays - 5.40 Yards - 27.4 Points - 1.49
2017 Start - 26.5 YL Time - 2:24 Plays - 5.42 Yards - 25.2 Points - 1.22

Opponent Average Drive
2016 Start - 27.8 YL Time - 2:34 Plays - 5.60 Yards - 27.6 Points - 1.41
2017 Start - 30.2 YL Time - 2:44 Plays - 5.80 Yards - 32.7 Points - 2.00

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
This is just silly. The Giant offense sucked last year too. The only difference is the defense sucks this year.

Giants Average Drive
2016 Start - 27.6 YL Time - 2:21 Plays - 5.40 Yards - 27.4 Points - 1.49
2017 Start - 26.5 YL Time - 2:24 Plays - 5.42 Yards - 25.2 Points - 1.22

Opponent Average Drive
2016 Start - 27.8 YL Time - 2:34 Plays - 5.60 Yards - 27.6 Points - 1.41
2017 Start - 30.2 YL Time - 2:44 Plays - 5.80 Yards - 32.7 Points - 2.00

I didn't say he was a good coach. I just don't think he's as inept as people make him out to be. Yeah, he's stubborn and lifeless, but Handley inherited a champion. McAdoo inherited mediocrity. Nobody wanted him fired last year.

He has one of the worst offensive lines in the game. That kinda impacts everything you do when your QB isn't mobile.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I didn't say he was a good coach. I just don't think he's as inept as people make him out to be. Yeah, he's stubborn and lifeless, but Handley inherited a champion. McAdoo inherited mediocrity. Nobody wanted him fired last year.

He has one of the worst offensive lines in the game. That kinda impacts everything you do when your QB isn't mobile.

Wrong, people were giving ALL the credit and rightfully so to the defense for last year's record, Spagnuolo was getting all the praise not McAdoo, people have wanted McAdoo gone for a while.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Wrong, people were giving ALL the credit and rightfully so to the defense for last year's record, Spagnuolo was getting all the praise not McAdoo, people have wanted McAdoo gone for a while.

Are you serious???? He was only the 4th coach in Giants history to make the playoffs in his first year.

When did "a while" begin? After the win in Washington that gave them an 11-5 record?

Nobody wanted this guy fired in August.

I can link at least a dozen pro-McAdoo articles from the beat writers after the Washington win. Hell, even Mike Francesa was lauding him the day after the win.

Defense imploding in two straight late drives was the difference between this team being 0-4 and 2-2. No coach survives a season with an entire WR corps getting injured and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

McAdoo has a horrible persona and is far from an expert tactician or motivator but he is just part of the problem.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Are you serious???? He was only the 4th coach in Giants history to make the playoffs in his first year.

When did "a while" begin? After the win in Washington that gave them an 11-5 record?

Nobody wanted this guy fired in August.

I can link at least a dozen pro-McAdoo articles from the beat writers after the Washington win. Hell, even Mike Francesa was lauding him the day after the win.

Defense imploding in two straight late drives was the difference between this team being 0-4 and 2-2. No coach survives a season with an entire WR corps getting injured and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

McAdoo has a horrible persona and is far from an expert tactician or motivator but he is just part of the problem.

Bingo.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
lol Josh McCown may be my playoff starter since he's actually been pretty damn solid this year and Dak's freefall parachute got replaced with a fire hydrant.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Nobody wanted McAdoo gone. Everyone was very excited about the hiring, he said all the right things, etc.

Had a great first year and even though he didn't handle Beckham and the other high maintenance guys right, even Parcells had issues his first year. He either got really lucky with the injuries and game decisions, or the personnel responded better to him last year.

He gambled just as much last year. Sometimes teams have those seasons where they should contend but everything goes wrong whether because of injuries (84-85 Rangers), dysfunction (92-93 Rangers) or some combo of both (see the Mets this year).

What's hurt him is he's lost the room and the respect of the players, and the guys who were supposed to get better didn't.

Reactions: TheTakedown

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
San Fran wins. That's exactly what the Giants needed with Chicago playing Cleveland in 2 weeks. If Chicago wins that the Giants just need Indy to win another somewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->