WJC: 2017 Finland Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
LOL. So what does this say about hockey. A team going from being the gold medal winner one year to relegation the next. Is hockey just random? Feels like a bad joke.

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Görän Stubb also blasted the federation and coaching:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/201612302200047404_jk.shtml

Original article is from Huvustadbladet, anyone got access?

The article: https://www.hbl.fi/artikel/for-manga-kockar-i-jvm-soppan/

Bullet points:
- Experienced coaches not necessarily a winning recipe
- Too many coaches (7) with too much influence outside the rink
- Team was overcoached
- When the players had their meeting and the tactics changed play looked better (though they still lost)
- A lot of people unfamiliar with hockey have too much say (e.g. CEO:s of clubs and members of the federation) leading to coaches being consulted and gaining too much influence over the sport as a whole = no coherent strategy

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
This team has an excuse for everything. Fact is they couldn't get it done when it mattered and weren't a very good team. That's what happens when you think you're better than you are. Wouldn't be surprised if they choked against Latvia or Slovakia either.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
LOL. So what does this say about hockey. A team going from being the gold medal winner one year to relegation the next. Is hockey just random? Feels like a bad joke.

This was pretty much a completely different team than last years team.

Bad coaching + very young team with a garbage goalie. The end result is this.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Second half of Year a nightmare!

A nightmare for finnish hockey fans. Bad World Cup of Hockey, bad Euro Hockey Tour and now a bad U20 tournament.

Why couldn t Finland to be constant like Sweden? Hockey is Sport No. 1 in Finland!

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
A nightmare for finnish hockey fans. Bad World Cup of Hockey, bad Euro Hockey Tour and now a bad U20 tournament.

Why couldn t Finland to be constant like Sweden? Hockey is Sport No. 1 in Finland!

Who cares about EHT? The first half went way too well so it had to balance itself out. :laugh:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Who cares for Euro Hockey Tour it's hobby and practice tournament for IIHF men's world championships.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What farce we are now lousiest world junior team ever.
Thanks a lot Jukka Rautakorpi and Rauli Urama you two ******** embarrassed all Finnish Hockey fans and Finnish Hockey community are you happy now.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
This doesn't mean anything, it's been 3 games. Denmark got outplayed in all 4 games and they're 2nd in the group, Finland outplayed everyone but the Czechs (pretty much even with a slight edge to the Czechs) and they're dead last. Anything can happen in such a short tournament.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Any predictions how much Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Vaakanainen and Välimäki will drop in NHL draft rankings and draft board.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Any predictions how much Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Vaakanainen and Välimäki
will drop in NHL draft rankings and draft board.

Vaakanainen 2nd half of the 1st round; others 2nd/3rd round picks in the order: Heiskanen, Vaelimaeki, Tolvanen, Vesalainen

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
With Finland eliminated from contention I'll give my two cents (I might have more to say after the final games).

Individually I think the d-men played quite well as a whole, I saw no problems with their defensive play that you wouldn't expect from teenagers and for the most part they kept the opposition from the front of the net and won enough of their one on one battles for me to be satisfied. Offensively they didn't participate nearly enough, which i attribute to coaching. Juolevi was disappointing after last year, but he wasn't the problem behind our anemic play. Saarijärvi didn't quite live up to his abilities and seemed unable to get pucks through, though I wouldn't dub him Hietanen 2.0 quite yet as some here seem to do. Last year he didn't have the same problem and to me at least he seemed better defensively. Vaakanainen and Välimäki were a mixed bag with some rookie mistakes but on the whole they seemed fine, especially Välimäki who was the d-man who mostly tried to push the play in the offensive zone. The rest of the d-men were rather unremarkable with Heiskanen a tad more visible than the others.

The forwards however are a different story. Defensively they were poor, didn't forecheck, didn't drive the net, lost battles and didn't move their legs. Tolvanen didn't shoot nearly enough . Nättinen looked completely lost. Borgström and Palmu got stripped of the puck over and over again. Vesalainen played on an island until he got reunited with Tolvanen and Räsänen (should have been together from the start), our only functional line. Our fourth line provided some good shifts and forechecking, but overall a lousy performance.

To me the biggest problem was coaching. In the first two games our players looked hesitant as if they didn't know where to be or what to do. They didn't forecheck and there was no puck support. Against Sweden they at least looked like hockey team, especially in the first period. I get the feeling that Rautakorpi wanted them to play a very safe and defensive hockey that simply is not possible in a junior tournament like this and the players didn't know what was expected of them. If you look back at our championship teams Kivi and Jalonen coached the system they played was adapted to the players they had. The 2014 team was based on sound defensive play and a strong transition based on ridiculous goaltending, a strong back end and Teräväinens line. Last years team was a run and gun team suitable for one of the best lines in the history of this tournament. That should be the core message for Finnish coaches, let the team set the system they play. With our limited talent pool we cannot decide the players we have but can choose the system and quite frankly I think this is what meidän peli is supposed to be about.

DuckJazz

Jan 11, 2014
Rautakorpi just proving he's stuck on the last decade, we'll bounce back next year.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
lol, it seems we just sacked rautakorpi and ahokas will be the coach for the last game. This has been a real rollercoaster of emotions

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015

Current coaching staff out, Ahokas in from today on.

Pretty funny that many of us were calling for it and it actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad