WJC: 2017 Finland Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Wow, that's pretty unprecedented isn't it? I've never heard of a short tournament where the coaches got fired mid-tournament before

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
This just highlights the fact that the material is fine, but the coaching couldn't possibly have been worse. It's often a cop out to blame all problems on coaching, but this time it really seems that they failed on every front.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Wow, that's pretty unprecedented isn't it? I've never heard of a short tournament where the coaches got fired mid-tournament before

Yes it is but that was only option.
Finnish hockey association couldn't wait any further it has to tell something if our team has practiced together only 1 time in entire tournament.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't really follow the drama, why were they so bad? I know there were high expectations, but anything else?

There's been some clicks in Team Finland.
Based on the Urho Vaakanainen's statement Team Finland has had only one team practices during the whole tournament

Also few days ago Vaakanainen hinted Finnish media ( yle) there's some free riders in Finland's team.
If you look our TOP prospects who are draft eligible next June they all are struggling with scoring problems.

Guys like Tolvanen,Vesalainen,Heiskanen and Valimaki aren't scored a goals at all in this tournament.
Tolvanen has only one assist ( he assisted Aapeli Rasanen's powerplay against Sweden) in 3 games.
That's not much for a prospect who's ranked to TOP10 in next June's draft.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Juolevi has openly bashed the coaching after every game, there is more to this than just bad results.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Why were the coaches so bad?
Not out of malice, I can give 'em that.

Let's just say that they weren't on the same page with the players. I'm sure they did their best, as they're mostly highly accomplished people who have plenty of merits coaching adults in the Finnish Liiga.

But they obviously didn't have an inkling that coaching juniors in a short tournament is pretty much a whole another world. What works in their natural environment didn't work here at all.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
What bloody shambles... I guess the coaches lost the team, probably because of lacking person skills with young players - and it also sounds that they weren't that interested in the first place. So I understand the sacking and as Ahokas was already in town, so why the hell not. Must be a first that a commentator is snatched from the studio to the back of the bench...

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

And that is to accomplish what exactly? I tell you its about pointing fingers and desperately trying to save face. It's a ****** move in every aspect and no true hockey guy can celebrate that.

The Finnish hockey culture does not deserve this type of amateur clowns running the show.

And it's not about Rautakorpi as a coach. I never understood the hire in the first place. But you just don't pull this kind of sleaze.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
And that is to accomplish what exactly? I tell you its about pointing fingers and desperately trying to save face. It's a ****** move in every aspect and no true hockey guy can celebrate that.

The Finnish hockey culture does not deserve this type of amateur clowns running the show.

And it's not about Rautakorpi as a coach. I never understood the hire in the first place. But you just don't pull this kind of sleaze.

Of course you do. The only right move showing some [MOD]. And that's why they sent the Troyan in there as a studio commentator waiting to be unleashed when this coaching team had utterly failed. One great great move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Vaakanainen appears to be a geezer who likes to throw his team under the bus after each loss. Bodes well for a professional career... It ain't like one NHL team (which has won 14 in a row won) would not have the same off-ice policy when preparing for game days.

I also did not like that about Vaakanainen. Saw 2 video interviews by YLE and in both he was indeed throwing someone under the buss. If I remember right, both times it was coaching related. Maybe it really felt that chaotic over there for a player or disconnection between the players and coaches and he didn't want to sugarcoat anything.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Why couldn t Finland to be constant like Sweden? Hockey is Sport No. 1 in Finland!

Sweden being constant has produced them less championships than Finland over the years. Sweden never goes to relegation games and it has happened to Finland like 2-3 times in the last 15 years now. I rather take the relegation games route if it means more championships. So I'm just saying I'm personally not that envious about Sweden.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Sweden being constant has produced them less championships than Finland over the years. Sweden never goes to relegation games and it has happened to Finland like 2-3 times in the last 15 years now. I rather take the relegation games route if it means more championships. So I'm just saying I'm personally not that envious about Sweden.

Yes right! But i think U-Champion titles aren t so important.

Looking! Sweden has produced much more and better talents in last 15 Years.
Sweden has mostly over 70 Players in NHL. This is the real benchmark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad