NHL Entry Draft 2017 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
for guys wanting to use a high pick on a goalie...ben bishop was recently traded for a 4th round pick. When we need a goalie, we can get one. No risk. No fuss. No muss.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I still dont understand how goalies are so cheap to acquire. They play a huge role in a teams success

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
for guys wanting to use a high pick on a goalie...ben bishop was recently traded for a 4th round pick. When we need a goalie, we can get one. No risk. No fuss. No muss.

You can't bank on a trade.. Look at the flames goalie carousel lately.. Or the canucks carousel. Even the Stars. Even us before Andy came along. Sure guys like Schneider and Anderson, work out every now and then.. But then there's also your Mason's and Elliott's and Miller's and Bernier's.. If you want to risk something like that fine, but I'd much rather have a guy in the system with sky high potential who has a shot at becoming a top goalie in the league..

As I've said before, if our scouts believe in the kid, they won't hesitate to take him at 28, it won't matter if he's a goalie or a skater, there's risk in both.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You can't bank on a trade.. Look at the flames goalie carousel lately.. Or the canucks carousel. Even the Stars. Even us before Andy came along. Sure guys like Schneider and Anderson, work out every now and then.. But then there's also your Mason's and Elliott's and Miller's and Bernier's.. If you want to risk something like that fine, but I'd much rather have a guy in the system with sky high potential who has a shot at becoming a top goalie in the league..

As I've said before, if our scouts believe in the kid, they won't hesitate to take him at 28, it won't matter if he's a goalie or a skater, there's risk in both.

I wouldn't think the odds of getting one of those guys and it working and drafting a guy and that guy working are about the same. Actually bet it's lower odds with the drafting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wouldn't think the odds of getting one of those guys and it working and drafting a guy and that guy working are about the same. Actually bet it's lower odds with the drafting.

Much lower. Most goalies taken in the early rounds don't work out, and very rarely do they become legit starters within 6 years of being drafted.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I still dont understand how goalies are so cheap to acquire. They play a huge role in a teams success

Supply and demand.

There's only 30 spots available for starting goalies, compared to 180 for starting defensemen and 360 for starting forwards. Always going to be some teams out there who need a goalie, but there's also always going to be some teams with extra goalies.

Much easier to find a quality goaltender than a quality forward/defensemen.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Draft experts : who do we might target with our 28th OA pick? Feels great to pick there lol

Simple : it's a market and there is more supply than demand. Why? Because you can only play 1 goalie at a time (vs 18 skaters)

In your roster, you only need 2 goalies but 20 players. Top-6 forwards and top-4 D-men are harder to acquire because you need 300 of them vs only 30 starters.

Edit : hmm didn't see Hale's post but yeah basically repeating the same thing

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Draft experts : who do we might target with our 28th OA pick? Feels great to pick there lol

I wouldn't call myself a draft expert but I'll give my input on this with my top 5 for our pick:

1. Jake Oettinger- Best goalie in the draft by a fair margin. Excellent size, great athleticism, calm cool and collected. Has all the tools to be a top end goalie in the league. Biggest issue with him is his puck handling, but as we know from Andy, thats not a big deal.

2. Josh Norris- Reliable two-way center. A Colin White like pick, good size and skating. Not the flashiest player but really solid in all aspects.

3. P-O Joseph- A mobile LHD considered one of the best defensive defencemen in the draft. Personally think he has a lot more offensive potential, probably won't be around at our pick, but theres a chance.

4. Kole Lind- Pesky RWer with decent height just needs to fill out a bit more. Good playmaker and good IQ. Biggest knock people have on him is he is almost a year older then other draft eligibles.

5. Max Comtois- A more defensive center who works his a** off 110% of the time. decent shot, needs to work on consistency and skating to be an effective bottom 6 NHLer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The guys I want (in order) that could be available around 28:

1. Robertson
2. Brannstrom
3. Ratcliffe
4. Brook
5. Timmins
6. Joseph
7. Jokijarju
8. Farrance
9. Chytil
10. Norris

Probably have to trade up to get a chance at the first 2-3 guys.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I love Connor Timmons in this draft . Once he fills out he will be a stud. Hopefully he's in consideration for us

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I love Connor Timmons in this draft . Once he fills out he will be a stud. Hopefully he's in consideration for us

He probably is.

I'm not a big fan of his personally. Oldest 1st year eligible in the draft as well.

If Mann think's he's worth it, that's enough for me.

I prefer Frost than Timmons from SSM, FWIW.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Supply and demand.

There's only 30 spots available for starting goalies, compared to 180 for starting defensemen and 360 for starting forwards. Always going to be some teams out there who need a goalie, but there's also always going to be some teams with extra goalies.

Much easier to find a quality goaltender than a quality forward/defensemen.

But, that position also has the fewest amount of people playing it. There's only 2 goalies per team to scout, so choice is also limited.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Rather than try to project a guy that is available at our late draft position, I'd rather they just take the inevitable mysterious faller. I sometimes feel like teams come prepared with their list and then once a guy starts falling teams are afraid to take him, either because other teams passed or they didn't scout him enough.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Rather than try to project a guy that is available at our late draft position, I'd rather they just take the inevitable mysterious faller. I sometimes feel like teams come prepared with their list and then once a guy starts falling teams are afraid to take him, either because other teams passed or they didn't scout him enough.

They have a list 1-31 for the first round, they aren't just ranking guys that should be around our pick.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I tend to fall in love with defenceman every year. Not sure if it's because I have an easier time scouting them and projecting them but whatever the case I like a bunch.

Timmons
Brandstrom
PO Joseph
Ian Mitchell

Just some guys I like in no order that have a chance at being available

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
But, that position also has the fewest amount of people playing it. There's only 2 goalies per team to scout, so choice is also limited.

That's true to some extent. Still think there's a lot more expendable quality goaltenders than there are expendable quality players, and that's why goalies are often acquired for far less than expected.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I like everything about him but his skating. He's only a decent skater, but his hockey sense and puck moving ability are excellent. Makes really quick decisions with the puck. He's also got good size at 6'1, great competitiveness and is solid defensively.

I'm not usually as high on late-birthdays as most, but you have to love how far he's come in one year. If he was born 4 days earlier he probably doesn't even get drafted in 2016. His development in one year has been tremendous.

Have him at #22 on my list. Would be very pleased if we could get him at 28.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In Sundays Ottawa Sun they looked at numerous draft yrs & re-ranked the top 10 picks from every draft in the order as to how players from those drafts actually turned out in the NHL. While their were some obvious choices that turned out, it seemed like about half the players from every draft didn't turn out & that there were numerous players drafted later & in some cases (Mark Stone) drafted much later who should have been a top 10 pick in their draft yr. While some players were picked to soon others should have been picked later & in some cases much later or not at all. I imagine there is also an argument to be made about a player going to the wrong team & being mismanaged or poorly developed who may have done better in a different environment.

Just another example of how every draft outside of the obvious superstars can be a crap shoot & there are gems to find almost anywhere in a draft if your lucky of course as Ottawa was with Hoffman & Stone late in their draft yrs. This draft could also turn out that way with some potential quality players that should be available at 28 & 47 but will Ottawa hang on to both picks? We'll see.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom LD - Late Birthday Sep 99 Brännström’s offensive abilities are probably among the best in the draft for a defenseman. He hits pretty much every checkmark you can think of when looking for an offensively dynamic defenseman. He has that game-breaking skill level that can allow him to take over a game, and he is an absolute joy to watch when he has the puck. His puckhandling ablities are top notch, as he handles the puck with so much poise and control, which, combined with his skating abilities, allows him to control the tempo of the game in the offensive zone very well. He possesses very high-end passing abilities and vision, and quarterbacks the back end as good as any defenseman in this draft.

Jokiharju RD Birthday Jun 99 - “Jokiharju is a complete defenceman who joins and creates rushes with his spectacular skating. He is able to knock out opponents by using his speed and acceleration. He handles the puck with poise.†– Markus Suhonen
“Skating and high hockey IQ makes Jokiharju an intriguing prospect. He has a chance to be drafted in first round.†– Asko Huuki
“A poised offensive defenceman who can quarterback the power play as well as anyone. Also a very fast and skilled skater, Jokiharju compensates his lack of size with great positioning.†– Miika Arponen

Still like Comtois at forward. - Comtois - power forward that plays with an edge is not only a scorer, hard worker that gets rave reviews for his play at both ends of the ice. He can play on the penalty kill, and has a dangerous combination of speed and strength.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'm gonna guess that Jake Oettinger might get taken around #28 but it could be by LV who are going to have a few #1 picks in this yr's draft & a potential #1 goalie down the road could be a smart move for them. It might even be with Ottawa's #1 pick.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Brannstrom LD - Late Birthday Sep 99 Brännström’s offensive abilities are probably among the best in the draft for a defenseman. He hits pretty much every checkmark you can think of when looking for an offensively dynamic defenseman. He has that game-breaking skill level that can allow him to take over a game, and he is an absolute joy to watch when he has the puck. His puckhandling ablities are top notch, as he handles the puck with so much poise and control, which, combined with his skating abilities, allows him to control the tempo of the game in the offensive zone very well. He possesses very high-end passing abilities and vision, and quarterbacks the back end as good as any defenseman in this draft.

Jokiharju RD Birthday Jun 99 - “Jokiharju is a complete defenceman who joins and creates rushes with his spectacular skating. He is able to knock out opponents by using his speed and acceleration. He handles the puck with poise.†– Markus Suhonen
“Skating and high hockey IQ makes Jokiharju an intriguing prospect. He has a chance to be drafted in first round.†– Asko Huuki
“A poised offensive defenceman who can quarterback the power play as well as anyone. Also a very fast and skilled skater, Jokiharju compensates his lack of size with great positioning.†– Miika Arponen

Still like Comtois at forward. - Comtois - power forward that plays with an edge is not only a scorer, hard worker that gets rave reviews for his play at both ends of the ice. He can play on the penalty kill, and has a dangerous combination of speed and strength.

Either would be a good addition and upgrade the prospect pool immediately. Sorry if Vegas gets our 1st this year.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If you want to win, you need the Finn

7084.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5