Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Garrioch article he just tweeted.

From the article:

The Senators will be looking for help in the net, but that may not happen in the first round.

While TSN’s Craig Button suggested in his mock draft that the Senators should take Boston University netminder Jake Oettinger with the No. 28 selection overall, Dorion didn’t sound convinced they’d take a goalie if they kept their top pick.

No, the Senators don’t have a lot of goalies in the organization after telling Matt O’Connor he wouldn’t be getting a qualifying offer before he became a free agent on Julyl 1, but the club may wait until later in the entry draft to select a goalie. Teams generally just don’t take goalies in Round 1 and Dorion subscribes to that theory.

“When you look at the guys (in the league), Matt Murray (in Pittsburgh) was taken in the third round,†Dorion said. “Goalies, you can develop them pretty well even if you take them in the mid-to-late rounds.

“You look at (Nashville’s Pekka) Rinne, what was he? An (eighth-round) pick. Those are the two guys that played for the Stanley Cup (this spring). Craig Anderson was re-drafted and he was in the top four. I don’t feel we need to take a goalie early. I can’t see us doing it, but, at the same time, if we can get one with one of our later picks, that might be someting that we look at.â€

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I hate when we say we're taking 'safe picks'.

I can understand it in the current situation. The team has some cheap contracts expiring and will need some cheaper young guys to step in.

When I look at our prospect pool, I don't see a lot of guys that are very likely to be quality NHLers. It's nice to swing for the fences but a few years of poor drafting can leave teams with real depth issues. I don't want to revisit the period post-Muckler where we had few young players pushing into the lineup.

They have taken risky players in Brown and Gagne lately. They could use couple of guys (thinking 1st and 2nd rounds) that may not have big upside but are very likely to be 3rd/2nd line or 2nd pairing defencemen.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I hate when we say we're taking 'safe picks'.

At 28 theres no such thing as a 'safe pick'.

But some guys I think he is reffering too are:

Shane Bowers
Maxime Comtois
Ryan Poehling

Guys who have really good 2 way games.

On defense guys like:

Joseph
Timmins

That means we won't be gambling on a Brannstrom/Yamamotto type in my opinion

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Dorion says scenario of moving back is plausible.

Not a fan of moving back ever. Obviously hes targeting a 3rd rounder probably to move back

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
Dorion says scenario of moving back is plausible.

Not a fan of moving back ever. Obviously hes targeting a 3rd rounder probably to move back

Vancouver and Las Vegas both have multiple second round picks, I wouldn't be opposed to moving back to early in the second round if it meant acquiring another second round pick.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Wouldn't have to trade back to get an extra draft pick if we didn't trade an extra draft pick just to get another team to pay the bonus of one of our players.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Wouldn't have to trade back to get an extra draft pick if we didn't trade an extra draft pick just to get another team to pay the bonus of one of our players.

You're a year too early with this complaint - the 2017 pick went in the Phaneuf deal.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Glad Dorian understands the draft with regards to goalies, not too glad about his safe player approach.

All in all, this draft has been the most underwhelming since I started seriously following it in 2003. I'm not too upset at our lack of picks.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Glad Dorian understands the draft with regards to goalies, not too glad about his safe player approach.

All in all, this draft has been the most underwhelming since I started seriously following it in 2003. I'm not too upset at our lack of picks.

He said he wants a safe player? Where did he say that?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Like Filip Forsberg?

Filip Forsberg fell on draft day. He was rated pretty highly by most scouting services that release their lists to the public. Guys that fall on draft day usually do fine.

More like Angelo Esposito. A guy ranked super high the year before his draft and then fell on consensus ranking lists because of his play during the year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Filip Forsberg fell on draft day. He was rated pretty highly by most scouting services that release their lists to the public. Guys that fall on draft day usually do fine.

More like Angelo Esposito. A guy ranked super high the year before his draft and then fell on consensus ranking lists because of his play during the year.

Comtois is nothing like Angelo Eposito though.. Comtois has a higher floor and is far more versatile. Esposito was very one dimensional

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Comtois is nothing like Angelo Eposito though.. Comtois has a higher floor and is far more versatile. Esposito was very one dimensional

He's just one example.

It's just the trend. Guys that are ranked highly on final lists that fall on draft day usually turn out fine. Guys that are ranked highly the year before their draft, but fall on lists throughout the year because of their play (and not an injury) tend not to live up to their initial billing, and a good portion bust completely.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At 28 theres no such thing as a 'safe pick'.

But some guys I think he is reffering too are:

Shane Bowers
Maxime Comtois
Ryan Poehling

Guys who have really good 2 way games.

On defense guys like:

Joseph
Timmins

That means we won't be gambling on a Brannstrom/Yamamotto type in my opinion

I'd be fine with all those guys including Lind, Robertson or even Strome & Brook on D. I wonder if PD will trade any prospect/players for draft picks during the draft or to move up?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's just one example.

It's just the trend. Guys that are ranked highly on final lists that fall on draft day usually turn out fine. Guys that are ranked highly the year before their draft, but fall on lists throughout the year because of their play (and not an injury) tend not to live up to their initial billing, and a good portion bust completely.

I hear you and can't disagree generally. I do think he is an NHL player .,.. just is he a top 6 or a bottom 6. Now he is looking like a bottom 6 but his work ethic is really good , he has some really good physical tools .. I still like his potential. He checks a lot of boxes.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Seems like there are some interesting prospects that we could draft. A lot of them will be projects but they are interesting none the less. Some players we could draft are:
D"Artangan Joly, Ostap Safin, Nikita Popugaev, Isaac Ratcliffe, Matthew Strome.

We could even use a late pick on a former top prospect who has struggled in Luke Kirwan.

http://www.thehockeyprospector.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/THP_NHL-Draft-Guide-2017-Top-100-Prospects.pdf

Some other interesting targets:
Klim Kostin, Jason Robertson,

Last edited:

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So a guy some had rated in the top-5 last year, but had a pretty meh year, rated by most people in the late 1st, early 2nd now.

I never really liked guys that fall like that in their draft year. It usually doesn't turn out well.
Yeah. I don't want that hot head. I'd much rather draft a defencman or Chytil/Norris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->