WJC: 2017 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Ok so since the wjc's are only around 2 months away, I thought i'd take a stab at our roster..

Kase-Spacek-Jasek
Stransky-Chlapik-Lakatos
Zadina-Necas-Koblizek
Helt-Soustal-Werbik
(Suchy)

Definitely looks like a good offense. Like someone mentioned before, it lacks high offensive skill but the depth is really good. I think that 3rd line could do some real damage. 4th line is big and could score some goals too.

Zboril-Hajek
Hronek-Budik
Vala-Zabransky
Sirota(Krenzelok)

This excites me the most... Best defence since 2006. In my opinion Zabransky should 100% be there. This guy is a generational talent(for czechs) and is probably better then everyone there except for Zboril. Sirota also deserves a solid chance.

Vladar
Stezka
Korenar

Clear #1 is Vladar. I dont see him playing poorly at all. Stezka is a solid back up if needed. Ive added Korenar because he has started the season very well.

Overall I see a team that can easily compete for a medal. That opening game against Finland will be crucial to our success. Both them and Sweden are beatable. I think our goaltending and defence will finally push us past the quarterfinals. Thats if we dont end up playing Canada or US haha. So yeah, we gotta beat Finland and Sweden. This year is our year I hope.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Ok so since the wjc's are only around 2 months away, I thought i'd take a stab at our roster..

Kase-Spacek-Jasek
Stransky-Chlapik-Lakatos
Zadina-Necas-Koblizek
Helt-Soustal-Werbik
(Suchy)

Definitely looks like a good offense. Like someone mentioned before, it lacks high offensive skill but the depth is really good. I think that 3rd line could do some real damage. 4th line is big and could score some goals too.

Zboril-Hajek
Hronek-Budik
Vala-Zabransky
Sirota(Krenzelok)

This excites me the most... Best defence since 2006. In my opinion Zabransky should 100% be there. This guy is a generational talent(for czechs) and is probably better then everyone there except for Zboril. Sirota also deserves a solid chance.

Vladar
Stezka
Korenar

Clear #1 is Vladar. I dont see him playing poorly at all. Stezka is a solid back up if needed. Ive added Korenar because he has started the season very well.

Overall I see a team that can easily compete for a medal. That opening game against Finland will be crucial to our success. Both them and Sweden are beatable. I think our goaltending and defence will finally push us past the quarterfinals. Thats if we dont end up playing Canada or US haha. So yeah, we gotta beat Finland and Sweden. This year is our year I hope.

Usually this many North American players are not chosen, in the lowest years of Czech around 2005-2010 there were teams that were around 80 % CHL players and Czech did awful. So many different playing styles that did not mesh. Of course the best players should be taken though. I like your top 6 + Necas but I think the other spots are up for grabs. There may be others worthy of a spot but there are always puzzling omissions.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Usually this many North American players are not chosen, in the lowest years of Czech around 2005-2010 there were teams that were around 80 % CHL players and Czech did awful. So many different playing styles that did not mesh. Of course the best players should be taken though. I like your top 6 + Necas but I think the other spots are up for grabs. There may be others worthy of a spot but there are always puzzling omissions.

Yeah I agree. This is just what i'd like to see.
Hnilicka as manager though, will make this more possible. I like how last year he visited almost all the possible CHL guys personally. That was unheard of before.
Craig Button also said that Hnilicka is higher on CHL guys because of his own stint in the WHL long ago. So we are far more likely to get the best players possible. (So it seems) (So I hope)
The tournament is on North American sized ice after all. So it would only make sense.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Also, what position is he playing there?

Second line LW I believe.

Kase-Spacek-Jasek
Stransky-Chlapik-Lakatos
Zadina-Necas-Koblizek
Helt-Soustal-Werbik
(Suchy)

I really like the top 6 plus Necas, Zadina. Zadina has been struggling in Extraliga so far, but I believe he could be very effective here. I don't know about Helt, Werbik and Suchy. Suchy is way too small and he is getting very little ice-time in Extraliga. If you want big winger who can ship in goal I would rather try out Svoboda, who is proving he can score in the OHL (so far) unlike Werbik, who struggled a bit in the QMJHL. He is older, but dunno... Helt is a big unknown for me.

Zboril-Hajek
Hronek-Budik
Vala-Zabransky
Sirota(Krenzelok)

:yo: Love it. Zabransky looks very impressive, PPG in U20 league as a 16 years old defenseman... don't think that's enough to make the team though. We will see. I like you mentioned Sirota.
Vladar
Stezka
Korenar

That Vladar-Stezka duo is pretty much set, barring some injury. Korenar started very well, but I will be keeping my eyes on Brizgala, who was great at last year's Hlinka and I don't think it was some one-tournament thing, and Skarek who is simly an exceptional goalie talent. It's not like the 3rd goalie is expected to play anyway.

Last year we were very close to beating both Russia and Finland... didn't beat either in the end, close losses, unfortunate, but what can you do :). Hopefully this is the year we pass the quaterfinals and thus beat some top nation.

Majority of our top players are in NA, we should take them despite that. Reason why we did so poorly in 2005-2010 is not the CHL, it's the player quality. Had we taken players from EU back then, we would do just as bad or maybe even worse. There simply weren't better czech players.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Second line LW I believe.

I really like the top 6 plus Necas, Zadina. Zadina has been struggling in Extraliga so far, but I believe he could be very effective here. I don't know about Helt, Werbik and Suchy. Suchy is way too small and he is getting very little ice-time in Extraliga. If you want big winger who can ship in goal I would rather try out Svoboda, who is proving he can score in the OHL (so far) unlike Werbik, who struggled a bit in the QMJHL. He is older, but dunno... Helt is a big unknown for me.

:yo: Love it. Zabransky looks very impressive, PPG in U20 league as a 16 years old defenseman... don't think that's enough to make the team though. We will see. I like you mentioned Sirota.

Majority of our top players are in NA, we should take them despite that. Reason why we did so poorly in 2005-2010 is not the CHL, it's the player quality. Had we taken players from EU back then, we would do just as bad or maybe even worse. There simply weren't better czech players.

I really just filled in the blanks for the 4th line. It could be anyone there. Suchy is very small and hasnt seen many minutes i know.. But he is still very skilled. He reminds me a bit of Petr Holik from a few years ago. If he had been a bit bigger, he could be in the NHL. Suchy is in a similar situation. Koblizek even more though.

The only way i accept Zabransky not making the team, is if Sirota is the one who takes his spot. The kid is just way too talented to leave off the team in my opinion.

This is exactly right. The talent pool back in those days was embarrassingly slim. I'm surprised that we never got relegated..

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just to say on the subject of Kase in Extraliga, he has been playing mainly RW over last 5 games on 2nd line... though he has seen shifts at LW too. He ofc plays all three positions though... only reason mainly at RW is because Pirati Chomutov need him there most.

5pts in last 5games since being put into top 6.

He actually worked way up to 1st line in last few pre-season games before he got injured while with national team... looked like he was going to start season there. But it is great he is now back up with skilled players. He has looked really good.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Just to say on the subject of Kase in Extraliga, he has been playing mainly RW over last 5 games on 2nd line... though he has seen shifts at LW too. He ofc plays all three positions though... only reason mainly at RW is because Pirati Chomutov need him there most.

5pts in last 5games since being put into top 6.

He actually worked way up to 1st line in last few pre-season games before he got injured while with national team... looked like he was going to start season there. But it is great he is now back up with skilled players. He has looked really good.

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear that he has been given a better chance. Its about time the EL teams start playing these guys.
But Kase had a bit of an off year last year too so its nice to see hes doing really well so far.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Thanks for the update! It's good to hear that he has been given a better chance. Its about time the EL teams start playing these guys.
But Kase had a bit of an off year last year too so its nice to see hes doing really well so far.

I'm watching lineups at http://www.livesport.cz/hokej/ Every Extraliga match has lineups on this page. If you want to see statstics of U20 players in Extraliga (or WSM liga), you can find it here: http://hokej.cz/tipsport-extraliga/...er-competition=5821&stats-playerFilter-age=20
You can see icetime, hits, shoots etc.

It maybe can be helpful.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
Zabransky is too young (and not so good to make the team), you can't compare czech junior league and international hockey. You didn't mention Petr Kalina, he is top 6 defenseman. Also you didn't mention Jan Ruzicka. Right now I see him as a backup goaltender. Offense has a lot of options...

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Zabransky is too young (and not so good to make the team), you can't compare czech junior league and international hockey. You didn't mention Petr Kalina, he is top 6 defenseman. Also you didn't mention Jan Ruzicka. Right now I see him as a backup goaltender. Offense has a lot of options...

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
Zabransky is young yes. But he's offensively very capable. I think it would be a good idea to bring him in at least as the 7th defenseman. Throw him in the power play the odd time.
Why not?
Czechs haven't had many offensive defenseman for a while. Who will we have this year? Zboril? Sure.
Hronek? Maybe.
Hajek, Budik, Vala are all defensive.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
Zabransky is young yes. But he's offensively very capable. I think it would be a good idea to bring him in at least as the 7th defenseman. Throw him in the power play the odd time.
Why not?
Czechs haven't had many offensive defenseman for a while. Who will we have this year? Zboril? Sure.
Hronek? Maybe.
Hajek, Budik, Vala are all defensive.

The only pure offensive defenseman we have is Hronek. Zboril is more like two-way. I disagree with Hajek being defensive D though. I never liked he was called that way in his draft year, I really think he has decent offensive upside. After all he is PPG in the WHL so far. (small sample size though)

I would wait with Zabransky until at least the U17 challenge. If he stands out there as one of the best defenseman, he might some chance, but PPG in U20 alone is not enough. (as I said though, it's very impressive for a 16 year old D) Also he wasn't even invited to any U18 (or U17 last year) event, unlike Dajcar, so it would be probably way too big jump.

What do you guys think of Reichel, Machala, Svoboda ? All three started the season well.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The only pure offensive defenseman we have is Hronek. Zboril is more like two-way. I disagree with Hajek being defensive D though. I never liked he was called that way in his draft year, I really think he has decent offensive upside. After all he is PPG in the WHL so far. (small sample size though)

I would wait with Zabransky until at least the U17 challenge. If he stands out there as one of the best defenseman, he might some chance, but PPG in U20 alone is not enough. (as I said though, it's very impressive for a 16 year old D) Also he wasn't even invited to any U18 (or U17 last year) event, unlike Dajcar, so it would be probably way too big jump.

What do you guys think of Reichel, Machala, Svoboda ? All three started the season well.

My main reason for arguing Zabransky is to get a conversation going haha. But,
#1 Why would Dajcar get an invite over Zabransky?
#2 Zabransky might be too young, and it could be too big a jump for him, but, can you name me 1 Czech defenseman that has gotten a point a game in U-20 at 16 years of age? How about 17 years of age?
I don't think there is one. But id like to be proven wrong. It's hard enough for forwards to do that.
So I wouldn't say that it's not enough to get him on the team. But we do have decent options this year. Any of the last 10 years, he would have been in serious consideration I think. No?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
#2 Zabransky might be too young, and it could be too big a jump for him, but, can you name me 1 Czech defenseman that has gotten a point a game in U-20 at 16 years of age? How about 17 years of age?
I don't think there is one. But id like to be proven wrong. It's hard enough for forwards to do that.
So I wouldn't say that it's not enough to get him on the team. But we do have decent options this year. Any of the last 10 years, he would have been in serious consideration I think. No?

1. I just wanted to say Zabransky didn't even get invited to the one year older national team, unlike Dajcar. No way should Dajcar be in the U20 or anything.
2. I said it multiple times. PPG in U20 league as a 16 year old D is very impressive. He should push hard for a spot in the WJC U18. But U20? Not so sure.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

Kvasnicka, and he's almost 2,0 PPG so far :)

In all seriousness though, stats aren't everything and I don't want to judge if he should be in consideration or not because I haven't really seen him yet and I think we all know that stats can be sometimes misleading..
Anyway, I agree with other guys that it is a pretty big jump for him and I would also hesitate to invite him.. In this case I would use the words (which I normally hate) of many, many czech stupid coaches that he still has time... something else would be if he'd be playing at least 8 minutes a game in Extraliga.. and hey.. he still may get the chance before WJC starts.. let's see.. his surname sure can help that :D

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Yeah this looks like a decent team eh? Really nice to see all the young guys nominated. Czechs just lost to Sweden in a shoot out. final score 3-2. Skarek played very well apparently!

http://hokej.cz/dvacitka-drela-padl...kazal-co-jsme-chteli-videt-tvrdi-petr/5018856

It's solid. I wonder how many defensemen from Europe will make it. I consider Zboril, Hronek and Hajek locks and Vala with Budik have decent chance too. Then there's also Sirota, but he hasn't played for quite some time, probably injured.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
It's solid. I wonder how many defensemen from Europe will make it. I consider Zboril, Hronek and Hajek locks and Vala with Budik have decent chance too. Then there's also Sirota, but he hasn't played for quite some time, probably injured.

It's quite nice to actually have some competition for a defensive spot on the team. Very new thing for us. But yeah I wonder who will make it. Those first 5 you mentioned I think are locks. Vala and Budik are very good. And since they're playing in North America, they should make it. As for 6th and 7th spots? Could be anyone really. Sirota, Doudera, Kalina, Kvasnicka, Hrdinka... who the heck do you choose? They are all pretty good players and could fill those positions very well.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
It's quite nice to actually have some competition for a defensive spot on the team. Very new thing for us. But yeah I wonder who will make it. Those first 5 you mentioned I think are locks. Vala and Budik are very good. And since they're playing in North America, they should make it. As for 6th and 7th spots? Could be anyone really. Sirota, Doudera, Kalina, Kvasnicka, Hrdinka... who the heck do you choose? They are all pretty good players and could fill those positions very well.

We will have to put their situation exceptionally strong choice, whether in defense and in attack. Of course, key players must be healthy again so we have a wide selection. Defense will be the best for many years back in the attack will miss perhaps only one player, last year there lacked more. In the near future similarly strong selection not stand. One year weaker, the other stronger .. 97 is strong in general, 98, has a good defense. As written, Zboril, Hajek, Hronek are almost certain Vála Clock have a great chance. Well it turns Kvasnička.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
http://hokej.cz/sanci-maji-i-necas-...-pred-ms-bude-dvacitka-ladit-v-kanade/5019099

Pretty decent result for Czechs at the 4 Nations Tournament.
Sounds like Necas and Skarek will have a really good chance of being on the team. Hope Zadina gets there as well.
Going to be really challenging for the coaching staff to put this team together though. So many good players in North America, but for once there is talent back home.

Anybody want to predict the line-ups?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Anybody want to predict the line-ups?

Kase-Necas-Lakatos
Stransky-Chlapik-Zadina
Kodytek-Spacek-Michnac
Reichel-Soustal-Jasek
Kubik

Zboril-Hronek
Hajek-Vala
Budik-Kalina
Kvasnicka

Vladar
Stezka
Skarek

Tried to make the lines balanced.
I really wonder what the very first nomination will look like. Will Michnac, Kvasnicka and Kubik make it? And what about Werbik, Zachar or Suchy? Also curious about that Adam Musil situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad