WJC: 2017 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Now that 2016 WJC is over, we can discuss the 2017 roster. Czechs will be definitely looking forward to the WJC in hope of finally breaking that embarassing ''record'' 11 years without reaching semifinals...

My early guess:

Zacha-Spacek-Jasek
Stransky-Chlapik-Lakatos
Kase-Soustal-Suchy
Werbik-Necas-Dufek
Najman

Zboril-Budik
Hajek-Hronek
Vala-Doudera
Krenzelok

Vladar
Stezka

Defense looks very good, should be our strenght. This could be the best defense Czechs had in like what, 5? 7? years.
Goalies looking very solid as well, I think Vladar is the better of the two (Boston homer :popcorn:)
Offense should be probably slightly better than last year's. We lose Pastrnak (And Vrana/Karabacek, though they didn't play last year) but Zacha, Spacek, Chlapik... will be a year older, stronger, better. (I don't think Zacha will play consistently next year in NHL so I included him) I don't expect any 98 forward to be top six, 98 is just weak on them. I included Necas who would be an underager, though I think he is just too good to be left out. I was thinking about Safin as well, he didn't impress me as much though on the U17 tournament. Lastly, Filip Zadina could be considered, though I don't think they will take him due to the age. (But they did take Vrana or Zacha as 16 years old, so who knows)

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
The team looks good on paper but the past two years have learned me not to have my hopes high :) Even though this is probably the strongest team out of those three years.
Mainly there is really solid defense which is I would say expceptional for our standards of recent years.. you say best in 7 years, I would go definately past that, should be the best since at least 2006 when there were guys like Polak, Smid and Kindl. But I hope it's even better than that in terms of talent. Lets wait how they will perform on the ice however.
Goalies are very solid, Vladar should take the job.
Forwards are also very good, very skilled forwards in the TOP6 although missing high end talent (except for Zacha who might not be there).
And as you said, 98 forwards are weak as hell, I wouldn't considered none of them as of right now. It will be not a problem next year since 97 are pretty deep but the year after that it will be a huge issue.
Realistically, this team can challenge for a bronze but it will be tough as hell (there are many teams that are just even better). Plus correct me if I'm wrong but we are in the group with Finland, Sweden, Swiss and Denmark which means there is a big possibility of playing 1/4 final with either Canada or the US and I wouldn't be a big optmist there.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Zacha - Spacek - Suchy
Stransky - Chlapik - Jasek
Koblizek - Kase - Lakatos
Zadina - Soustal - Dufek
Guman

Zboril - Hajek
Budik - Hronek
Krenzelok - Vala
Weinhold

Vladar
Stezka
Brizgala (Skarek)

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
And as you said, 98 forwards are weak as hell, I wouldn't considered none of them as of right now. It will be not a problem next year since 97 are pretty deep but the year after that it will be a huge issue.

Realistically, this team can challenge for a bronze but it will be tough as hell (there are many teams that are just even better). Plus correct me if I'm wrong but we are in the group with Finland, Sweden, Swiss and Denmark which means there is a big possibility of playing 1/4 final with either Canada or the US and I wouldn't be a big optmist there.
It is hard to predict, a lot can happen in the meantime, but I think in 2018 WJC our forward core will be Necas, Zadina and Safin plus some more 99 born forwards. 98 will add quality defensemen, not forwards. Though this is really far away right now.

This team can compete for bronze, yes, but so should have the two teams before and we know how that turned out... Our group sucks, just like 2015. I wouldn't mind Sweden or Finland that much in the quaterfinals, but I do mind home Canada and USA, who will be looking for 3rd straight quaterfinal 7:0 win against us... :facepalm:
We will need to play Russia/Slovakia to have at least some chance.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah this team looks very good. That defense is amazing compared to previous years. I agree with Joey that it's the best since AT LEAST 2006. And guys... Defense wins championships. So unlike our chances at a medal. But we do face the same issue with the groups. It's too bad.. But I'm confident that we will have a good chance at winning ours.

At forward we look very strong. A lot of returning guys and they'll be 19. That's really important. This year was led by 18 year olds. Doesn't always work well. Look what happened to Canada. 8 of their 13 forwards were 18.

I strongly believe Zacha will be there. New Jersey would be silly to rush him to the NHL. I expect them to play him the full year in the AHL. So let's expect Zacha. Therefore that top 6 is legit.

As or younger guys making the team? I would think Zadina and Necas has a chance. Suchy? Maybe but he's so small that I doubt he will be effective on the smaller more physical North American rink and style. I can see a young defenseman making the team maybe. Even though the defense is deep. Zelinger or Galvas. Both are impressive. Depends how they do next season.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I can see a young defenseman making the team maybe. Even though the defense is deep. Zelinger or Galvas. Both are impressive. Depends how they do next season.

They would need to have very impressive seasons. When we can finally choose from a number of quality defensemen, I doubt we will take a younger, less experienced ones. That being said, they are both doing pretty good in U20 leagues.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah this team looks very good. That defense is amazing compared to previous years. I agree with Joey that it's the best since AT LEAST 2006. And guys... Defense wins championships. So unlike our chances at a medal. But we do face the same issue with the groups. It's too bad.. But I'm confident that we will have a good chance at winning ours.

At forward we look very strong. A lot of returning guys and they'll be 19. That's really important. This year was led by 18 year olds. Doesn't always work well. Look what happened to Canada. 8 of their 13 forwards were 18.

I strongly believe Zacha will be there. New Jersey would be silly to rush him to the NHL. I expect them to play him the full year in the AHL. So let's expect Zacha. Therefore that top 6 is legit.

As or younger guys making the team? I would think Zadina and Necas has a chance. Suchy? Maybe but he's so small that I doubt he will be effective on the smaller more physical North American rink and style. I can see a young defenseman making the team maybe. Even though the defense is deep. Zelinger or Galvas. Both are impressive. Depends how they do next season.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he won't be available to play in the AHL since he was drafted from the CHL.. that could be the issue.
He might be too good for the CHL but not good enough for the NHL. I wonder how that ends up. I think the chances are 50/50.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
They would need to have very impressive seasons. When we can finally choose from a number of quality defensemen, I doubt we will take a younger, less experienced ones. That being said, they are both doing pretty good in U20 leagues.

Agreed. It's doubtful to suppose they'll make it when there is a pretty good group of older defensemen plus when even guys like Zboril and Hajek didn't make the team last year and this year, respectively.
However you never know.. to be honest even though I know about their statistics, I've never seen Zelinger and Galvas play with my own eyes so I don't really know how they project.. if they are for expample 1st round talents? no idea but I really hope they are or at least that they are close :)

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Agreed. It's doubtful to suppose they'll make it when there is a pretty good group of older defensemen plus when even guys like Zboril and Hajek didn't make the team last year and this year, respectively.
However you never know.. to be honest even though I know about their statistics, I've never seen Zelinger and Galvas play with my own eyes so I don't really know how they project.. if they are for expample 1st round talents? no idea but I really hope they are or at least that they are close :)

Well to be fair both Zboril and Hajek should have made team, or at least in Hajek's case get an invitation. Not sure why coaches decided otherwise, as they are clearly the best defensemen prospect we had in years.
But I don't think neither Zelingr or Galvas are Zboril/Hajek level, so that's also a huge reason why I think it's unlikely.

From what I have seen in WHC U17 Zelingr was the better one, but really tough to say what round he projects to be picked in. But I think he is at worst 3rd rounder. (A lot can change though and I am no scout after all :shakehead)

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Well to be fair both Zboril and Hajek should have made team, or at least in Hajek's case get an invitation. Not sure why coaches decided otherwise, as they are clearly the best defensemen prospect we had in years.
But I don't think neither Zelingr or Galvas are Zboril/Hajek level, so that's also a huge reason why I think it's unlikely.

From what I have seen in WHC U17 Zelingr was the better one, but really tough to say what round he projects to be picked in. But I think he is at worst 3rd rounder. (A lot can change though and I am no scout after all :shakehead)

Yeah, I agree that Zboril and Hajek should have made it but that's also a thing we need consider.. that the coaches clearly don't really like to give younger guys the opportunity.
I hope I will get to see those guys this year so I can make my personal opinion :) Of course, I'm not a scout too so it will probably have no meaning :laugh:
Btw. David Kvasnicka or Jakub Sirota (who is almost 1999) also look good (stats-wise)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he won't be available to play in the AHL since he was drafted from the CHL.. that could be the issue.
He might be too good for the CHL but not good enough for the NHL. I wonder how that ends up. I think the chances are 50/50.

You are right. I totally forgot about that. My mistake.
Therefore yeah its really hard to say that we'll have Zacha on the team. I can agree with 50/50 chance.
But I do disagree with rushing him to the NHL. Give him the 9 games and send him back to Sarnia. At the age of 20 he will for sure be ready for the NHL. Let him rip up the OHL for one more year.
And plus, Czechs will need him at the WJC :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You are right. I totally forgot about that. My mistake.
Therefore yeah its really hard to say that we'll have Zacha on the team. I can agree with 50/50 chance.
But I do disagree with rushing him to the NHL. Give him the 9 games and send him back to Sarnia. At the age of 20 he will for sure be ready for the NHL. Let him rip up the OHL for one more year.
And plus, Czechs will need him at the WJC :)

Or Zacha will pull a Reway and go back to Czech Republic to play in the mens league.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Now that the season is over, here is my second try.

Stransky-Zacha-Zadina
Kase-Spacek-Jasek
Safin-Chlapik-Lakatos
Necas-Soustal-Kousal
Najman (Helt)

Zboril-Hronek
Hajek-Budik
Vala-Doudera
Kachyna (Kvasnicka)

Vladar
Stezka
Brizgala (Skarek)

In the brackets are players who might push hard for that roster spot.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Now that the season is over, here is my second try.

Stransky-Zacha-Zadina
Kase-Spacek-Jasek
Safin-Chlapik-Lakatos
Necas-Soustal-Kousal
Najman (Helt)

Zboril-Hronek
Hajek-Budik
Vala-Doudera
Kachyna (Kvasnicka)

Vladar
Stezka
Brizgala (Skarek)

In the brackets are players who might push hard for that roster spot.
In fact, I think that Zacha will not be available. At the end of the year was dominated by what I saw was perhaps the best in the AHL, where he promoted individually. That makes the first team of NJ is very likely.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Ok I also try it:

Stransky-Kase-Lakatos
Zadina-Spacek-Jasek
Suchy-Chlapik-Dufek
Andel-Soustal-Koblizek
+Durac

Zboril-Hajek
Kalina-Hronek
Krenzelok-Doudera
Weinhold

Vladar
Stezka

I don't belive in Zacha. He will not be eligible. You all set too young defense (lot of 1998 players). I think Kalina will be there. Zadina today say he plays with Spacek and Kase plays always with Lakatos. I have lot of players from Europe but I expect it. This year is tournament in America so I expect most of players from Europe like every america year :) but I hope I am wrong

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm getting excited about this tournament....'99 forwards and a '98 defence could be what takes us to a medal. ...

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah maybe. Definitely the 98 defence.
That 97 offense is the deepest we've probably had in a long time and 19 year olds do well at this tournament. So a lot will be up to them. Last year we had our 19 year olds missing. Vrana, Karabacek, Vopelka, and Pastrnak playing injured. That hurt us big time.
If we get Zacha this year and everyone else is healthy, watch out USA

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Radek Koblizek has looked really good in the pre-season and CHL-games for Kärpät so far. He was also a more than point-per-game player in Finnish junior-A last year.

Do you think he has a chance of making the Czech team?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Radek Koblizek has looked really good in the pre-season and CHL-games for Kärpät so far. He was also a more than point-per-game player in Finnish junior-A last year.

Do you think he has a chance of making the Czech team?

Definitely has a chance.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
It looks like Necas and Zadina can make team. Both in first two lines in extraliga. Reichel and Lakatos in first two lines too. :handclap:
Hope Kase and Jasek also will have good positions in A-teams

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
It looks like Necas and Zadina can make team. Both in first two lines in extraliga. Reichel and Lakatos in first two lines too. :handclap:
Hope Kase and Jasek also will have good positions in A-teams

I would be surprised if Necas, Zadina and Lakatos aren't there. I don't see Reichel getting there, but you never know I guess. Glad for every junior that gets to play some top 6.

I heard Kase should get much more room than last year (finally), not so sure about Jasek. What happened to him anyway? I didn't see him in a single pre-season game, is he injured?

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
I would be surprised if Necas, Zadina and Lakatos aren't there. I don't see Reichel getting there, but you never know I guess. Glad for every junior that gets to play some top 6.

I heard Kase should get much more room than last year (finally), not so sure about Jasek. What happened to him anyway? I didn't see him in a single pre-season game, is he injured?

I also don't know Jasek's situation. Maybe move to Utica? And Reichel... I don't like him but half season in first line with Hübl can make him a good player.

Anyway I am glad young player trend is finally coming to extraliga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad