WJC: 2017 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I disagree as well haha. That was a 1 man team. Petr Mrazek was the name.
They played very mediocre in round robin play. Losing 5-0 to Canada and 4-0 to Finland. Weren't impressive whatsoever. And even in their win against USA(who really sucked btw) they got horribly outshot. 50-20.
This years team is far better then that. Sorry.

1) I don't agree that it was a one-man team. We had Hertl, Jaskin, Fillippi, Faksa.

2) We didn't get thrashed 17:0 in preliminary games and didn't lose to Switzerland and Denmark. We beat Denmark 7-0 incidentally. These guys haven't managed to score more than 2 goals in a single game!

3) This team lost 7-0 and 5-0 to Canada in prelim, so not much better. Yeah they beat Finland 2-1 but they weren't playing well so I don't really count that that much.

This year's team might be far better on paper, but they sure haven't shown it so far on the scoreboard.

Anyway, it's a moot point really. The result is still the same even if the talent on paper is better: a likely (painful) early exit from the QF....

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
1) I don't agree that it was a one-man team. We had Hertl, Jaskin, Fillippi, Faksa.

2) We didn't get thrashed 17:0 in preliminary games and didn't lose to Switzerland and Denmark. We beat Denmark 7-0 incidentally. These guys haven't managed to score more than 2 goals in a single game!

3) This team lost 7-0 and 5-0 to Canada in prelim, so not much better. Yeah they beat Finland 2-1 but they weren't playing well so I don't really count that that much.

This year's team might be far better on paper, but they sure haven't shown it so far on the scoreboard.

Anyway, it's a moot point really. The result is still the same even if the talent on paper is better: a likely (painful) early exit from the QF....

And what did those guys do? Nothing at all. Faksa is a horrible person to use for an argument btw. Biggest no show in Czech WJC history lol.

You also can't use games that mean absolutely nothing for an argument. Like who cares. It's just like swedens 40 straight round robin wins. What the heck is that good for if you only have 1 Gold medal from it?

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
And what did those guys do? Nothing at all. Faksa is a horrible person to use for an argument btw. Biggest no show in Czech WJC history lol.

You also can't use games that mean absolutely nothing for an argument. Like who cares. It's just like swedens 40 straight round robin wins. What the heck is that good for if you only have 1 Gold medal from it?

"Biggest no-show in Czech WJC history" So you've been watching all of them since 1977 have you to be able to make that statement?

Hertl played well. So did Fillippi. The team got Russia to OT and lost by an unfortunate goal. That's more than these guys will do this year.

I don't really see how you can argue that this year's team is better when they can barely score and the defense sucks balls? Sure, they're better on paper. But 2012 had some good results.

Anyways, happy new year. Let's hope 2017 will be a good one for Czech hockey :)

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So our next opponent is Canada. Thoughts?
We would get destroyed by both teams, but I am glad we got Canada since it's home team and because I've had enough of those quaterfinals against USA the past few years. I will be happy if we can score 2+ goals. Shutout is probably more likely though :(.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
We would get destroyed by both teams, but I am glad we got Canada since it's home team and because I've had enough of those quaterfinals against USA the past few years. I will be happy if we can score 2+ goals. Shutout is probably more likely though :(.
Don't care whether they win or lose, I just want the game to be close, just no blowout please.

5-3 Canada would be acceptable

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

I'm gonna go with 5-0 Canada.

I don't really have any faith anymore :(

But I will always support! Cesi! :)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I'm gonna go with 5-0 Canada.

I don't really have any faith anymore :(

But I will always support! Cesi! :)

Well you are more optimistic than I am.

6:0 Canada with them just sliding out there in the 3rd. The difference in every aspect is just so huge.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
They've had the chance.. facing Russia in the quarters was so close..
It will be boring quarterfinals - Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia advancing, that's pretty much given..

6:0 win for Canada sounds about right.. if we don't score in the first minutes of the match, it will be a shutout I'm pretty sure

What a disappointment these past three years have been.. I was very optimistic that at least one of those years we would sneak into the semis with the '96 and '97 groups.. oh well
I've got just the little hope for the '99 group. Most of the players are playing in czech leagues.. if they stay and the clubs continue to give them chances and increase their ice-times so that in two years there will be at least around 6 players (Necas, Zadina, Kaut, Safin, Chytil, Hrabik, Kern...) playing in TOP6 more than 12 minutes a game I would believe that THAT team could make some noise finally.. one can dream

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I didn't see yesterday's game, but the tournament is pretty much over. Despite of that I feel like Czech prospects are improving in some areas. I think they have better skating, stickhandling and such basic stuff compared to years in the past. They don't look so much as pylons out there as often. The puck isn't leaping over their sticks so much etc. But they still can't bury chances no matter what. There is no improvement in that area. They can't shoot. That seems to be deeper problem in Czech hockey. Even Voracek couldn't shoot properly until few years back.

I also think the coaching wasn't that great this time. To fail twice as a favourite at the biggest tournament of the year is unacceptable.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I didn't see yesterday's game, but the tournament is pretty much over. Despite of that I feel like Czech prospects are improving in some areas. I think they have better skating, stickhandling and such basic stuff compared to years in the past. They don't look so much as pylons out there as often. The puck isn't leaping over their sticks so much etc. But they still can't bury chances no matter what. There is no improvement in that area. They can't shoot. That seems to be deeper problem in Czech hockey. Even Voracek couldn't shoot properly until few years back.

I also think the coaching wasn't that great this time. To fail twice as a favourite at the biggest tournament of the year is unacceptable.

Totally agree with this.

Mar 11, 2013
QC

2 of my main problems with most Czech teams is the lack of creativity (I'm not sure whether that's down to the coaching or the players themselves) and the lack of finish - that's always been an issue, we simply don't have the shooters that the top teams do, so often they just throw low percentage, unscreened or poorly screened point shots on the net that just cause a rush the other way.

I thought they were making some great passing plays in the first 2 games, the sequence before the tying goal against the Swiss was incredible, I don't think I've ever seen that by a Czech junior team before. That was completely gone in the games against Denmark and Sweden, they were back to their low percentage shot habit.

I honestly couldn't name 3 very good current Czech shooters, the 2 that come to mind are Vrbata and Pastrnak, Voracek's shot is still a little suspect, he shoots like a stormtrooper, in my opinion that's the only thing holding him back from being a top 5 player in the league.

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I honestly couldn't name 3 very good current Czech shooters, the 2 that come to mind are Vrbata and Pastrnak, Voracek's shot is still a little suspect, he shoots like a stormtrooper, in my opinion that's the only thing holding him back from being a top 5 player in the league.

Yeah I think we've always had an issue with that. We don't tend to produce pure goal-scorers/snipers. We had Hejduk back in the day, and up-and-coming ones would be Frk and Vrana imo. I still don't really like Voracek's shot either, but it is admittedly better than it once was.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I agree wit h most of the posters here. We are getting better individualy. We also lack creativity. I guess its obvious that our guys are still too much stiff and not relaxwd there. Unfortunately we put a lot more aggressivity and speed but for exmaple swedes look more relaxed and calm and easily handle us. I guess this is a matter about positive attitude in training, less drill and focusing more on instincts. Its also qestionable whether we should still play for example like Denmark or we should pretend that we can play open game with top teams with no chance....

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
How did we look in yesterday's QF?

I didn't stay up to watch but the score suggested that we played well.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
How did we look in yesterday's QF?

I didn't stay up to watch but the score suggested that we played well.

Yeah, it was pretty good. Since the beginning of the match we looked super motivated. In the first period Canada didn't have a single quality scoring chance and we kept pace in skating and didn't look out of place at all.. plus this lucky bounce from a referee helped us to take a lead.. the second period though was pretty lopsided, when Canada scored a goal they started to have a big pressure. The goals were, however, quite bad. The first goal was after a horrible first pass from Koblizek, the second was right after a faceoff when our players didn't get ready and were in bad positions. The third period was much more even again and we did have a chance to make it even in score but after Canada took a two goals lead it was over. Our guys obviously weren't able to keep the pace until the end of the match but they played hard.
Can't say a bad word on them after a match like this (Canada has had obviously much more talent) but if we had brought a play and effort like this in round robin, then we for sure didn't end up third in the group.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Yeah, it was pretty good. Since the beginning of the match we looked super motivated. In the first period Canada didn't have a single quality scoring chance and we kept pace in skating and didn't look out of place at all.. plus this lucky bounce from a referee helped us to take a lead.. the second period though was pretty lopsided, when Canada scored a goal they started to have a big pressure. The goals were, however, quite bad. The first goal was after a horrible first pass from Koblizek, the second was right after a faceoff when our players didn't get ready and were in bad positions. The third period was much more even again and we did have a chance to make it even in score but after Canada took a two goals lead it was over. Our guys obviously weren't able to keep the pace until the end of the match but they played hard.
Can't say a bad word on them after a match like this (Canada has had obviously much more talent) but if we had brought a play and effort like this in round robin, then we for sure didn't end up third in the group.

Yep. I woke up and watched rest of the first period just on muted TV and by one eye. I honestly thought that Vladar was in net and they replaced him with Skarek for second for some reason. Then guys seemed to me less confident since second started and I was like "what are they doing in front of our net, that must be because they dont trust Skarek and therefore lack confidence" :))) Luckilly I was completely wrong. But that goals were, as you said, were ..... They didn't keep a pace from first period...

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013

Good summary. I don't know why Petr used only 6 defensemen. Especially Krenzelok and Vala had very long shifts.

Overall good games vs. Finland, Switzerland and Canada (+ first period against Denmark). I usually don't criticize the players but Spacek had very poor tournament and he didn't live up to expectations. But he was chosen for our top 3 player so I don't know :sarcasm: In my opinion the best forward was Necas, even in limited ice time. Now I am looking forward to the U18 World Championship...

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Hi there...I am a Boston Bruins fan who has been unable to view any of tghe Czech Republic games at the WJC. There have been a few posters on our board who have been harsh when describing Zboril's play throughout the tournament.

Can any of you give an honesty assessment of his performance? Strengths, weaknesses, overall contribution to the team?

Many thanks - and good luck in the future!!

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
.....[...Yep. I woke up and watched rest of the first period just on muted TV and by one eye....]...

.......[...Yeah, it was pretty good.
Can't say a bad word on them after a match like this (Canada has had obviously much more talent) but if we had brought a play and effort like this in round robin, then we for sure didn't end up third in the group.....].

Thanks for the update guys!

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Hi there...I am a Boston Bruins fan who has been unable to view any of tghe Czech Republic games at the WJC. There have been a few posters on our board who have been harsh when describing Zboril's play throughout the tournament.

Can any of you give an honesty assessment of his performance? Strengths, weaknesses, overall contribution to the team?

Many thanks - and good luck in the future!!

Hello here,

this will be my very limited opinion based on what I saw. I dount count QF because I wasn't that focused on players.

I guess importatnt thing is that coaches rely on him as our biggest hope in terms of offensive Dmen. They probably want him to play that role and this game all the time. In my opinion he's got it both offensivelly and defensivelly, he looks calm, hes got will to take responsibility for setting up the offense, he seems to me strong. What bothers me sometimes that he seems to me playing like 28 years old offensive D which he is not. And that brings mistakes. I would say he needs more time. True is that he will not get this role in Boston in first season. I would compare it to Kempny in WC. All offense was on him despite the fact he never played on small ice and on that level. Zboril handled it well compare to Kempny case imo(and Kempny looks ok in Hawks). But he needs to go step by step and he needs good tutors imo....Sure in time of guys like Hanifin this evaluation should be more strickt than several years ago. But czech guys unfortunately needs time and coaches. We are not producing top talent in age of 19...

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Wasnt a bad game at all for Czechs. 1st and 3rd periods were pretty good. 2nd period was completely dominated by Canada. But all in all, it was a decent effort from the boys.

Really too bad that the 96 and 97 draft class could not accomplish anything. I thought Petr could bring them to a bronze at least. Last year our defense wasnt good enough and this year it was the offense that struggled (defense at times too).

Next year? Young team that could surpise I think. Most people will count them out right away. Like I said before, good defense and goaltending. Offense will be young but fun to watch. Lots of draft eligibles will probably make the team.

So until next year guys :)

Should be interesting to see who gets drafted this year as well. I wonder if guys like Zelingr and Galvas get taken. Interesting that they decided to stay in Czech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad