OT: 2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Problem is the ratio. Hurl is a National, they would need a national to replace him. They are only starting 7 right now, so if you replace Hurl with an international you need to change ratio elsewhere. Not sure there's an option for that in Bombers current setup.

Current starters: DE (Westerman/Chorney), C (Goosen), RG (Chung), REC (Feoli-Gudino/Coates), RB (Harris), S (Loffler), MLB (Hurl)

There's not alot of good options to place another National in lineup. The only one realistic is moving Johnson/Nevis into a rotation and Thomas/Ekakatie into the other spot of rotation. Bombers have not been using Ekakatie much though. Only other options are benching Adams, Thorpe, Denmark, or Dressler/Flanders to start both Coates and Feoli-Gudino, but with Richards retirement they don't really have much in the way of options for National backups at receiver, the other options (Blascko and Wolitarsky) haven't been on 46 man roster all year.

It's Simple. Thomas starts on dline. Not like the two imports are dominating especially vs the run. Wild replaces hurl.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I view the middle linebacker spot as the Bombers weakest link, and if they could pick up a big strong fast middle linebacker from a late NFL cut, that's what I'd do. I don't think you could do much worse than what we have right now. If we had a "dominant" MLB the Bombers would be a formidable force, and could win the Cup.

That and Carmichael needs to go.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's Simple. Thomas starts on dline. Not like the two imports are dominating especially vs the run. Wild replaces hurl.

It's not that simple in today's game though. You have to rotate on the d-line, no one can play the whole game on the D-Line anymore. It just doesn't happen. So this means that they have to trust Ekakatie to step up at least. Then you have an issue when you go down to 3 man fronts, they don't have any national DB's to bring in for that spot. Hurl would still have to come out in lots of formations.

I am the last person to be defending Hurl but he hasn't stood out as horrendous this year like he did last starting attempt. He's not a strength on that defense, but he's not killing the defense either. Right now the defense has looked really good the last two weeks, I don't think any major changes are incoming.

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
Anyone have a couple tickets to the banjo bowl for sale? Prefer upper bowl, shady side.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
quick question. I want to pick up 3 good tickets to the Banjo Bowl but the options are limited on the Bomber site. Where is the most robust secondary market?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
quick question. I want to pick up 3 good tickets to the Banjo Bowl but the options are limited on the Bomber site. Where is the most robust secondary market?

I'm sure Holden will sell his tickets, as the bombers suck, can't win and demand is low :sarcasm:

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Sure as hell looks like Carmicheal is going to be swapped out with Fogg/Alexander.

W00t

SM17

Nov 25, 2005

Keep checking back on the site as well. When I looked last week it had no upper bowl tickets available and then this week I think they must have released a bunch.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

The radio giveaways... Call.. Call call.. U will get through eventually and those are primo seats they give away

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Carmicheal and Hurl are the two weak links on D, Carmicheal gets noticed more for inability to cover!

Certainly agree with this post !!! - I just re-watched the Edmonton game, and Carmichael got beat easily by a couple receivers. If they could find a taller guy, with speed, and replace him, and also find a guy to replace Hurl - they would be very very tough to beat.

Answer- pick up a couple late NFL cuts- there will be some good ones, and you can't really go wrong, and get any worse than these 2 guys.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Certainly agree with this post !!! - I just re-watched the Edmonton game, and Carmichael got beat easily by a couple receivers. If they could find a taller guy, with speed, and replace him, and also find a guy to replace Hurl - they would be very very tough to beat.

Answer- pick up a couple late NFL cuts- there will be some good ones, and you can't really go wrong, and get any worse than these 2 guys.

So u take out hurl.. Where do you start the canadian who would have to play instead.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Because those guys just grow on trees.

There's a reason that CFL DB's have always been smaller. Height isn't as important in coverage in the CFL, because of the width of the field, so the CFL will pick up the good DB's whose physical dimensions get them pushed out of the NFL.

Also, DB is probably the worst defensive position to try and break in an NFL cut.

To Carmichael's credit, before I couldn't understand why he started in the NFL/the coaching staff seems to love him. I figured it out last game, it's because he's usually in the right place to make a play, but he just doesn't have that instinct when the ball arrives to make a play on it. I bet he practices great.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Because those guys just grow on trees.

There's a reason that CFL DB's have always been smaller. Height isn't as important in coverage in the CFL, because of the width of the field, so the CFL will pick up the good DB's whose physical dimensions get them pushed out of the NFL.

Also, DB is probably the worst defensive position to try and break in an NFL cut.

To Carmichael's credit, before I couldn't understand why he started in the NFL/the coaching staff seems to love him. I figured it out last game, it's because he's usually in the right place to make a play, but he just doesn't have that instinct when the ball arrives to make a play on it. I bet he practices great.

Your last paragraph only applies to the last few games, before that he was no where near receivers.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Now my memory may be FOGGY but didn't Fogg play Heath's halfback spot last year? Where he was probably 2nd best playmaker in the league to Heath?

So now we are going to have both guys in the slot with Legget at LB? We are hiding our weakest corner on the wide side (I'm assuming?) opposite of Randle?

With this change Hall probably should have already made...we upgraded bum Carmichael to potential stud Fogg and it will cost us almost nothing outside where nobody would throw at Fogg over Carmichael.

Do I have this right? Our biggest weakness just became a strength... ?!?

And we are getting our other defensive end back? Whose name I cannot spell lol

This team is going places

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So Loffler may be injured. Fogg is going in for Walker who didn't practice and Alexander may be in for Carmichael. So with Loffler out do they sit Flanders? Hope not.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
not feeling the love for the Bombers right now. Don't get me wrong I love the wins and, sure the "O" is tickity-boo...

But our "D" is pretty sloppy and I just can't see us going far in the playoffs.

we need a new defensive cordinator

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
not feeling the love for the Bombers right now. Don't get me wrong I love the wins and, sure the "O" is tickity-boo...

But our "D" is pretty sloppy and I just can't see us going far in the playoffs.

we need a new defensive cordinator

Last week was important.
Even though Edmonton was devastated with injuries this was a big shot in the arm.
Saskatchewan is likely going to improve so a confident Bomber team is a must for the back to backs.
Hope we show up tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig