NFL GDT: 2017 AFC Championship Game: (1) New England Patriots vs (3) Jacksonville Jaguars

NE vs JAX

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You should research the Jags personnel before making a statement like that. Bouye and Ramsey don't need help to lock up Cooks and Hogan. They aren't going to try and outscheme the Patriots. They have the superior athletes and talent on defense that they don't need to. They play pretty straight forward.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
go Jax!
always had a soft spot for Jacksonville, it's easily one of the top ten swamp cities in Northern Florida

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
You should research the Jags personnel before making a statement like that. Bouye and Ramsey don't need help to lock up Cooks and Hogan. They aren't going to try and outscheme the Patriots. They have the superior athletes and talent on defense that they don't need to. They play pretty straight forward.

Im not talking about locking down Cooks and Hogan, I;m talking about putting an LB with a Safety on Gronk, no matter how athletic Jack is. Gronk is going to feast on that matchup all game.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Patriots are gunna go after the Jaguars with their RBs. Having White back is huge and Burkehead will be back this week. White, Burkehead and Lewis matched up on a LB is a win for the Patriots. I'm sure Gronk will be doubled or tripled, but he will still get his. I'm not confident Hogan, Cooks, or 'Dola will get open consistently. Whoever Ramsey covers I just take that receiver and run a go route downfield. Run Ramsey right out of the play. Patriots will exploit the underneath stuff till Jaguars adjust, leaving the big play open. For as good as the Jags are on defense they do give up the big play.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yes it is. By definition you are over confident and overlooking your opponent if you are guaranteeing victory in this league.

There’s a difference between calling out a team you haven’t advanced to facing yet and claiming you’re going to win the Super Bowl.

If you honestly believe the Jags are somehow overlooking the Patriots, I’ll just agree to disagree.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jax and Philly were this years "nobody believes in us!" teams but at this point its strictly Philly.

IMO winner of this, wins the big game. I don't think it'll be a blowout, but I don't want to bet against TB12.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Patriots are gunna go after the Jaguars with their RBs. Having White back is huge and Burkehead will be back this week. White, Burkehead and Lewis matched up on a LB is a win for the Patriots. I'm sure Gronk will be doubled or tripled, but he will still get his. I'm not confident Hogan, Cooks, or 'Dola will get open consistently. Whoever Ramsey covers I just take that receiver and run a go route downfield. Run Ramsey right out of the play. Patriots will exploit the underneath stuff till Jaguars adjust, leaving the big play open. For as good as the Jags are on defense they do give up the big play.

jags are one of the few teams who have athletic enough LBs to somewhat match with pats scatbacks..

telvin smith had pretty identical 10 tard split, 3-cone and shuttle results at his pro day/combine as james white. burkhead and lewis had better but the latter has had couple of pretty bad injuries so he has lost some athleticism.

they still have the advantage because they play in well designed offense but it's not as big as they usually have, especially when all 3 of their corners are so good.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Jack isn't a great linebacker but he is pretty good in coverage. Telvin Smith is just a ridiculous playmaker. Jags give up big plays but they also create so many big plays. 33 takeaways and highest pressure and sack rate in the league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jags operate a D scheme based off what Seattle has run for years. Bradley brought it with him when he took the Jags HC position after serving as Carroll's DC.

Ramsey and Bouye are better athletes than Sherman and Browner/Maxwell/Thurmond. Their safeties aren't at the level of Thomas and Kam however. Jags DLine is superior to what Seattle had, but I think Seattle's depth might have been a bit deeper. LB, very close with Smith/Jack vs Wagner/Wright

Not complicated. They just go out and play.

In the end, the Jags D will need their O to run the ball so that they can rest in between series. Have to be fresh against Brady. Expect Brady to run a lot of hurry up to prevent subs by Jax and try to wear them down like against the Titans.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This game is gunna come down to Bortles. If he can put his big boy pants on and make some throws in tight windows, they have a shot. They got to get to get at least to 27 pts or so though.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This game is gunna come down to Bortles. If he can put his big boy pants on and make some throws in tight windows, they have a shot. They got to get to get at least to 27 pts or so though.

Wasn't a problem last week. If Bortles and Fournette can burn the Pats' defense often enough like they did in Pittsburgh, they can make a game of it. Got 90% of the country behind them, too, so that might help. :laugh:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah well we said the same about Henry and the Pats made it a priority to shut him down. It's going to be up to Bortles and the defense to pull off the upset.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Wasn't a problem last week. If Bortles and Fournette can burn the Pats' defense often enough like they did in Pittsburgh, they can make a game of it. Got 90% of the country behind them, too, so that might help. :laugh:
Yah and the week before they scored 10 at home against a team that shouldn't have even been in the playoffs.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Pats gameplan will be similar to Tennessee. Shut down the run and make the QB beat you.
Turnovers will be the name of this game. Jacksonville's D has the recipe to beat Brady. Can they pressure him with a 4 man rush? If so, it's going to be a very close one.

Also a big LOL to the guy who said Brady get's rattled easy and has always had a brick wall for an oline.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Pitt's defense played horrendous. Shazier's injury really changed how they play.

Patriots will give Jax all the yards they want in between the 20's and make them kick FG's. People rag on them based on the first 4 games of the year, but they still ended up in the top 5 in scoring defense.

Reactions: Harry22

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Barring a situation where the Jags' defense just brutalizes the Patriots O and forces a few turnovers and even gets some points on the board, not liking the Jags' chances at all. I'll be rooting for Jacksonville, but already resigned myself to accept that the Pats probably are winning yet another Super Bowl.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Yeah, their defense is still ****. Bend but don't break isn't really a tactic teams mean to employ.
The Patriots defense is a lot better than people want to give them credit for. At the end of the day they don't give up a lot of points, which is all that matters

People have been trying to say for years now that they ain't that good and it doesn't look right, but since Patricia got there in 2010 or 2011 they are 2nd in pts allowed over that time.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They don't give up points because the Patriots offense controls the field and rarely goes 3 and out. An opposing offense having to drive 75+ constantly isn't going to be successful. If they pin the Jags deep like they did the Titans, they win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad