Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A contender will happily give up a good prospect and a first. This is not a trade the Coyotes have any business of exploring. I have no idea why you think it's a fit.
I think he is a potential fit because he is a big, fast, physical RHS RW that scores 30 goals every year and is a leader on the ice. Other than Stepan our top 9 is extremely young. He has another year on his contract - lots of time to re-sign.

Of course I do not expect it to happen. A contender is more likely to trade for him than a lottery team. Just really like the way he would make our forward core look.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
On Simmonds... I would wager that we are on his NTC (specifies 12 teams he can't be traded to), so I highly doubt he'd end up here.

In terms of value in a trade (if we aren't on his list), maybe Rieder + Duclair (I'd expect a bit more from them--pick or mid-tier prospect)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think he is a potential fit because he is a big, fast, physical RHS RW that scores 30 goals every year and is a leader on the ice. Other than Stepan our top 9 is extremely young. He has another year on his contract - lots of time to re-sign.

Of course I do not expect it to happen. A contender is more likely to trade for him than a lottery team. Just really like the way he would make our forward core look.

It would be nice to have such a player, but if you start peeling away layers of what appears to be a precarious rebuild as is, what are you really doing? You're giving up a whole lot of future for some present. I don't think that makes sense.

If there was a way to do it around Rieder plus expendable guys, by all means. But I don't see it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It would be nice to have such a player, but if you start peeling away layers of what appears to be a precarious rebuild as is, what are you really doing? You're giving up a whole lot of future for some present. I don't think that makes sense.

If there was a way to do it around Rieder plus expendable guys, by all means. But I don't see it.
Unfortunately this is the correct answer. I love Simmonds but the timing just isn't right for us and him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

I'd be rather hard pressed to call anyone on Philly roster a Leader on the ice when they are consistently under achieving year after year. Sooner or later the players have to be considered passengers rather than Leaders.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Of course we don't really know the asking price but what Philly fan's want Chayka would not pay.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Hanley on waivers. I wonder if it's related to this?

Hanley just hit 30 days on the nose. The Yotes could be waiving him just to have the option of sending him back to the AHL on short notice. Similar to what was done with John Scott waiving him every 30 days.

Or it could simply be because Chychrun played his first game.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'd trade Schenn for someone looking for help defensively.

I'd fire KConn straight into the sun with no hopes for a return. Louis Domingue him and send him into exile.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Gambo didn't attribute this to a source. Perhaps wishful thinking or a little bird tweeting in his ear (pardon the pun.)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
OEL - Demers
Chych - Goose
Capo - Schenn

When Hammer comes back

OEL - Demers
Chych - Hammer
Goose - Schenn

Trade Schenn to someone looking for help on D

Trade Goose for a bottom pairing RHD

OEL - Demers
Chych - Hammer
Capo, Mermis, Hanley, Anyone but mother f***ing KConn - RHD

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just a thought on trades - unless it is a 1 for 1 trade the team trading for the 1 player makes out far better than the team which took back multiple lesser assets.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just a thought on trades - unless it is a 1 for 1 trade the team trading for the 1 player makes out far better than the team which took back multiple lesser assets.
Tell this to Toronto, Islander and other NHL fan bases who think OEL can be had for pieces.

BTW - agree with you 100%

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'd trade Schenn for someone looking for help defensively.

I'd fire KConn straight into the sun with no hopes for a return. Louis Domingue him and send him into exile.
The Coyotes are on of the two worst teams in the league defensively. IF Schenn was a help shouldn't we / wouldn't we need to keep him?

Reactions: cobra427

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Excited to see what Capo can bring, if they give him a game. Regardless he is getting an Xmas present of traveling and practicing with the big league and it will help his development.

Dream scenario (or Schennerio) is that he turns some heads and allows us to move Schenn or Kconn. Out right perfect scenerio is he shows signs of playing a game similar to Gologoski and we can move him at the deadline this season or next. I think Gologoski could command some nice assets despite his cap hit.

I've had mixed feelings on Gologoski since day one. One game he is a catalyst for the offense and helps lead the team to a win. The next he single handily makes a boneheaded move that leads to a goal. Not just bad Yandle pass that leads to an attempt, but a mistake that puts the team back one. He was really starting to look stable the past couple games, but last nights blunder stung bad. I hope a little pressure from a younger puck movong defenseman can do wonders.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The Coyotes are on of the two worst teams in the league defensively. IF Schenn was a help shouldn't we / wouldn't we need to keep him?
Eh, he's an decent, youngish D on a cheap contract with a lot of games under his belt. GM's love D at the deadline.
He hasn't been great this year, but I don't think he's as bad as his rep here. KConn-Schenn is a disaster. When Schenn knows he's the worst half of the pairing, he's been okay here. We're just so thin, that hasn't happened much.
I don't think we'd get much, but depending on how Kermis and Capo look come the deadline, we might get a second or third and a AHL D and be glad of it. I'm fine with keeping him to be honest. I just want KConn out of the lineup. Particularly as a regular.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly. Our GAA is getting better but we need to be way better on D not worse. Schenn is ok on the third pair and some PK duty, he is fine there.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm more worried about the offense right now. Outside of the Devils game the Coyotes haven't scored more than 2 goals in regulation since November 16th.

*I'm also throwing out the empty netters

Reactions: Antonche

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I can understand Schenn struggling in Tocchet's system. He's better built for a Tippett system. KConn though has no excuse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is it just me or does Strome still look like a gangly teenager who still needs to physically mature?

Not sure but his involvement and skating has dramatically improved. He is no longer waiting for things to happen rather he is going after the puck. If he keeps on playing like the last two games he is here to stay. We just need to get Crouse and maybe Merkley some time with the big club, along with a defenseman or two.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can understand Schenn struggling in Tocchet's system. He's better built for a Tippett system. KConn though has no excuse.

KConn is 7th Dman not an everyday third pairing. He is what he is. For a third pairing Schenn is alright.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What about something around Duclair + Merkley for Simmonds? Of course, I've never been high on Merkley and a Duclair trade seems inevitable.

No. We aren't a contender so I will gladly keep Duclair and Merkley.

Reactions: Sthlmyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad