Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Is their still talk of trading OEL? I thought Chayka put that to rest? You all are making me nervous the Coyotes are going to do something stupid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is their still talk of trading OEL? I thought Chayka put that to rest? You all are making me nervous the Coyotes are going to do something stupid.
He's slowly working his way back toward deserving the insane contract he's sure to get. I'd have very little patience for any major back steps. It's like a crazy game of chicken with his contract. He's going to get a bananas deal. Trading him might the dumbest thing we ever did. Being the ones to give him the contract may be the dumbest thing we've ever done. It's tough to tell.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He's slowly working his way back toward deserving the insane contract he's sure to get. I'd have very little patience for any major back steps. It's like a crazy game of chicken with his contract. He's going to get a bananas deal. Trading him might the dumbest thing we ever did. Being the ones to give him the contract may be the dumbest thing we've ever done. It's tough to tell.
We have to keep him, for like Winnepeg, we can't attract outside free agents in the top tier, albiet for different reasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My strong preference is still for a Schenn upgrade. A guy like Schenn, but loads better. Justin Braun makes some sense. Tanev would've but I don't think Vancouver wants to go that way again. Hamonic would've been good too but Calgary way, way overpaid for him. Hell, maybe Connor Murphy would work.

Murphy? You can't be serious.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
So you want to trade a top 5 pick - probably a franchise player or at least a good shot at one - to slightly upgrade the D for another year? Are you sure about that?

I did say I didn't want it to happen because it's only a slight upgrade. That being said; Karlsson is the skilled right-shot on defense we sorely need.

If they were to get Dahlin with it I'd be pissed, otherwise it's not as bad a deal. Keep in mind OEL has been my favorite player since he joined us. I don't want it to happen, I was just estimating the value we'd have to give up for Karlsson.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Any thoughts on trade bait at the deadline? The Coyotes will inevitably be sellers. Again. Expiring contacts include Rieder, Richardson, Domi, Duclair and Rinaldo on F and Schenn and Connauton on D.

Unlikely to trade Domi or Duclair.

Rieder might return some value. The rest are kind of meh. I had thought Goligoski would be a good target but his contract is too long for a deadline acquisition.

So Chayka might be able to add some 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Rinaldo didn't play in the NHL in 16/17 and only played 31 AHL (2/29) games over two seasons, following his 15/16 discipline. Assuming he isn't scratched, he will have played more than that by next Saturday, against the Av's. The Yotes gave him a chance, when other's wouldn't. I doubt he is traded at TDL.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that Duclair can be had for the right price. He isn't realizing his potential here. Perhaps someplace else.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Any thoughts on trade bait at the deadline? The Coyotes will inevitably be sellers.

So Chayka might be able to add some 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks.

I'd have a hard time calling us sellers because we have basically nothing to sell :laugh:
Rieder is basically the only one and even he is still an RFA and doesn't have to be moved or risk losing him.

I think that Duclair can be had for the right price. He isn't realizing his potential here. Perhaps someplace else.

He's putting up points at about the same rate as he did his first season here in fewer minutes and often with worse linemates :dunno:. And he's doing it at a more sustainable shooting%.

It's ugly at times and the scratches are baffling but he's rebounded quite a bit from his sophomore slump season. To the point where he's almost matched his point total in 25 games what it took him to do in 58. Selling low makes no sense when the trajectory is positive.

Reactions: CC96

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Doubt Domi goes anywhere.

Everyone else seems to be fair game. Richardson to a team looking for the 4th line help at C. Still enough of Duclair to like, but still hard to say how that pans out.

Rieder was always the one that I thought would be long gone, simply b/c his agent draws a very hard stance, and I don't think we like dealing with his agent.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd have a hard time calling us sellers because we have basically nothing to sell :laugh:

But we have a GM who worships draft assets like they were golden idols. If he gets any interest at all, he's going to pursue it. He might not pull the trigger, but he's going to be involved.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's ugly at times and the scratches are baffling but he's rebounded quite a bit from his sophomore slump season. To the point where he's almost matched his point total in 25 games what it took him to do in 58. Selling low makes no sense when the trajectory is positive.
Who said anything about selling low? While I do believe that sometimes you can have addition by subtraction, I certainly don't think this about Duclair. My assumption in trades is that we trade value in an area where we are deep for equal value in an area where we are in need.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Duclair's a UFA after the season I believe. Some other team will recognize his value and sign him to a 3-4 year deal...and guessing Duke would prefer a new start opportunity.

For that reason, moving Duke at the TDL makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yandover

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Who said anything about selling low? While I do believe that sometimes you can have addition by subtraction, I certainly don't think this about Duclair. My assumption in trades is that we trade value in an area where we are deep for equal value in an area where we are in need.

I don't think you can get full value for Duclair right now. He'll be worth much more after this season is over if his production stays at its current pace.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Duclair's a UFA after the season I believe. Some other team will recognize his value and sign him to a 3-4 year deal...and guessing Duke would prefer a new start opportunity.

For that reason, moving Duke at the TDL makes sense.
Nobody is signing a part time player under 2 coaches to a 3-4 year deal. If Duclair stays in the line up the rest of the year and produces, he might get a 2 year deal from somebody or have more value in a trade. I think we play him out until the summer then decide.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Richardson gets traded for sure. Probably Toby.

Schenn and KConn both suck but are cheap depth. Low round picks.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
So people are saying Karlsson could potentially be traded.

And for the record; I don't want this to go down but I was thinking;

How do we feel about OEL+1st round pick 2018 for Karlsson?

Potential Chychrun-Karlsson pairing is intriguing.

I made this comment to a friend of mine trying to figure out Karlsson's worth. I feel like we'd be overpaying for, arguably, a slight upgrade at best.

I don’t valu Karlsson that much higher than OEL, let alone a top 5 pick and Karlsson walks because we can’t afford him? You’re out of your mind.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Unless it's in a larger deal for a bigger star, I doubt Stepan or Goligoski get traded. These are Chayka's first moves as THE guy. Trading them for futures admits he made a mistake. I can't see him doing that. They put the A on both guys when at least one should have gone to Domi.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Unless it's in a larger deal for a bigger star, I doubt Stepan or Goligoski get traded. These are Chayka's first moves as THE guy. Trading them for futures admits he made a mistake. I can't see him doing that. They put the A on both guys when at least one should have gone to Domi.

JC doesn't strike me as a guy who wouldn't admit a mistake; certainly at the risk of his reputation, its not as if he is an established GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad