Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Still waiting on that reason for why he should’ve been out there. All you need is one legit reason and it’s so difficult for you to come up with it.
He was one of the best forwards on the team? He was the last US player to score a goal in the game you're discussing? I didn't really think you could be serious with that question.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Staal? No.
Eriksson Ek? No.
Koivu? Sure.
Fehr? Who cares.

If you're not playing your natural position, then skating can make up for a lot of things. If they want to develop him as a center, then Iowa is the place to do it, not the NHL with one half of a college season of experience at the position. Or maybe he's a savant, jumps in and crushes it. I'm certainly not rooting against it; just not overly optimistic.
Eriksson Ek is nowhere near the skater that Greenway is. In both speed or strength. Give your head a shake.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I like the idea of Greenway at center. Especially on the defensive side. He is already strong and hasn't even tapped his potential.

Imagine opposing forwards expending energy shift after shift against him. Fighting him for pucks. Having to get by him. Having to go through him to get to the next. Exhausting.

At center he can use his size and playmaking against every skater on the ice. At wing, it would be limited to opposing Dmen and sometimes their center, but only in our Ozone.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was one of the best forwards on the team? He was the last US player to score a goal in the game you're discussing? I didn't really think you could be serious with that question.
Dude was not a top 3 forward on the team. He was also on the ice for two goals against AFTER he scored his goal and only point of the entire tournament. Not to throw your own words back at you but: give your head a shake.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I like the idea of Greenway at center. Especially on the defensive side. He is already strong and hasn't even tapped his potential.

Imagine opposing forwards expending energy shift after shift against him. Fighting him for pucks. Having to get by him. Having to go through him to get to the next. Exhausting.

At center he can use his size and playmaking against every skater on the ice. At wing, it would be limited to opposing Dmen and sometimes their center, but only in our Ozone.
On defense I could certainly see him at center. Huge asset there. Offensively though I'd personally rather keep him deep in the zone at wing winning board battles. Maybe they can work out some sort of hybrid assignment? I'm not as sold as his BU coach seems to be that he can drive the offense from center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
On defense I could certainly see him at center. Huge asset there. Offensively though I'd personally rather keep him deep in the zone at wing winning board battles. Maybe they can work out some sort of hybrid assignment? I'm not as sold as his BU coach seems to be that he can drive the offense from center.
Forwards don't have positional assignments on offense. Just because Koivu pretty much refuses to go down low, doesn't mean that the centers aren't allowed to do it .

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Forwards don't have positional assignments on offense. Just because Koivu pretty much refuses to go down low, doesn't mean that the centers aren't allowed to do it .

Agreed, Getzlaf is a pretty good example of that, dude is in the corners and behind the net 24/7

Reactions: 2Pair

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Not close. This is like the people who think Spurgeon is faster than Suter

Iv seen suter full speed that dude can straight fly, he just knows how to stride out and conserve energy. Greenway is strong and has solid speed but i think you underestimate just how quick Ek is. We will see soon enough with them 2 on a line together.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Iv seen suter full speed that dude can straight fly, he just knows how to stride out and conserve energy. Greenway is strong and has solid speed but i think you underestimate just how quick Ek is. We will see soon enough with them 2 on a line together.
Greenway skates just like Staal. There's nothing wrong with Ek's skating either, but Greenway is better.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Greenway skates just like Staal. There's nothing wrong with Ek's skating either, but Greenway is better.

Im not saying i dislike his skating, he has the long powerful stride that a guy his height should have. Like i said, hopefully tonight they show a 2 v 1 with those 2 coming down and show off the speed. Either way both are solid skatings. Greenway at center makes me more curious than anything as if that works out, he SHOULD be a huge force down the middle.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Greenway should just be copying everything that Staal does in our system, he is definitely physically capable, just about honing his positioning. It’s almost better he’s fresh to center, they can develop him as a blank canvas without any bad habits from juniors vs learning straight from an all star number 1 center to perfectly fit Boudreaus system. Would be a coach’s dream to have that kind of flexibility in 3 lines.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal was a #2 oa pick who scored 100 pts. in his age 21 yr. Greenway is in a completely different talent tier.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I don't think anyone thinks Greenway is actually at the same level or ever will be at peak Staal.

Eric is big, deceptive in his skating, really good with his stick, and is a very accurate shooter. Underrated shooter across the league. Guys know he can shoot really well but they forget. He's also super smart. At one point Staal was probably a top 10 player in the league (05-08 area) or close to it. That also means the world. Obviously he also is good defensively too, though his +/- doesn't show it while playing for Carolina.

Greenway will be a success for us Wild fans if he can put up 60 points and 20 goals a year while playing 'like' Staal.

The thing I see in Greenway's game is that he is tenacious and actually a bit deceptive in his smarts. He skates well and makes quick decisions with the puck. He looks confident in his body language on the ice and doesn't shy away from contact even if he isn't overly physical.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not surprised, but I was hoping to see more of Lodnia.

The CHL teams have already played preseason games and their season starts this weekend. Might as well get their players home, settled, and a couple of practices before then.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm aware. I've already been to 9 games. Preseason. 3 Tripleheaders. And they were awesome.

And if he has to be 'settled' to be successful, he won't amount to anything.

I don't think he'll amount to much to begin with, but that's besides the point. Why not get him into the routine of the IceDogs? He's on a new team, in a new city, and FWIW Canada instead of the US for the home rink. If he was still with Erie, maybe he gets into tonight's game?

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Hunter Werner is a name I haven't heard in awhile. Thought he was pretty good in the prospect tourney a couple years back. What happened? Iowa tire fire?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hunter Werner is a name I haven't heard in awhile. Thought he was pretty good in the prospect tourney a couple years back. What happened? Iowa tire fire?

From the Iowa announcers he's more of an enforcer without any puck skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad