Line Combos: 2017-2018 Florida Panthers Opening Roster Discussion

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
If they were going to mire him on 3RW, they should've just left him exposed to Vegas. Because they obviously weren't serious about him.

The point is the last two years of zero contributions weren't his fault. He was hurt. Injuries happen. If we were going to continue carrying him and his contract on the team, which obviously we were by protecting him, a healthy Bjugstad deserves a shot on the top 6. ESPECIALLY over Jamie McGinn. And he's shown that in camp and practices. He hasn't been bad.

whether they're his fault or not is irrelevant, he doesn't do anything for the team.

The only reason he's still here, for some crazy reason, is Dale Tallon.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
So Bench & RR believe Smith & March were moved to protect Bjugstad........because he was Tallon's guy and VGK would have jumped all over him.:laugh: Talk about speculation. Is this a known fact or just speculation and assumption by the two of you? Two can play your game RR.;)

I'll tell you what. If Bjugstad's play from last year carries over to this year, I will jump out of my 1st story window if he is traded straight up by the TDL. I still contend he and his contract are worth zero (as it was last year) to anyone else around the league and will be bought out next off season if his crap play continues this year.;)

Incidentally, I will be thrilled if Nick can score between 15 and 20 goals and they can move him by the TDL.
Playing on his current line, he has a lot less of a chance to score even that many. It all depends on McCann and. That's my point. He should be up on the second line over McGinn who isn't a top 6 player. If we had a better option than Bjugstad for 2RW, I'd agree with you. But if we are going to leave McCann at C, we don't. Let Bjuggy play 2RW, rack up some points and regain some confidence all while gaining some trade value if we really do want to deal him. Again, its not like we have anyone better.

I really hate how everyone seems to forget what a healthy Bjuggy did two years ago skating with quality linemates. He's not too far removed from that season. If healthy, he could very well do that again. What do we have to lose by giving him that chance? Hell, we are gonna play an 18 year old who hasn't shown a glimpse of being ready. But he's getting a shot. Seems asinine they won't give Bjugstad a fair chance.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts

26. There were a lot of internal battles last season in Florida, and one involved the readiness of Jared McCann.
McCann showed in training camp he wanted to end the debate. He made summer switches, hiring skating coach Dawn Braid and trainer Matt Nichol. “Physically, I feel way different,” he said by telephone. “I felt I was quick before at full speed, but the first three steps were a problem to get there. (The changes) helped me out.” He’s been told he will start the season as a centre, saying “he’s very excited about it.” How is it playing for Bob Boughner? “He’s an intense guy. He expects a lot.”
27. McCann, a 2014 first-round pick by Vancouver, learned to expect a lot from himself. “There are things I regret, but I’ve learned from it. I’m a better player. You can’t take a day off, can’t get complacent, there are guys coming to take your job. Coming into to the league, I was a cocky little kid my first couple of months. They straightened me out.”
Boughner: “Jared worked hard this summer and it showed in camp. He came in prepared and earned this opportunity.”
28. McCann scored points among his teammates for fighting Montreal’s Brandon Davidson last week. He had a good line: “I bit off more than I can chew there … didn’t realize how big he is.”

Reactions: ShootIt

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Playing on his current line, he has a lot less of a chance to score even that many. It all depends on McCann and. That's my point. He should be up on the second line over McGinn who isn't a top 6 player. If we had a better option than Bjugstad for 2RW, I'd agree with you. But if we are going to leave McCann at C, we don't. Let Bjuggy play 2RW, rack up some points and regain some confidence all while gaining some trade value if we really do want to deal him. Again, its not like we have anyone better.

I really hate how everyone seems to forget what a healthy Bjuggy did two years ago skating with quality linemates. He's not too far removed from that season. If healthy, he could very well do that again. What do we have to lose by giving him that chance? Hell, we are gonna play an 18 year old who hasn't shown a glimpse of being ready. But he's getting a shot. Seems asinine they won't give Bjugstad a fair chance.
I truly hope the guy does do well and we get something for him at the TDL. My concerns about him are his inability to transition quickly in either zone (like turning an aircraft carrier) and his defensive play. Nick always had a snipers shot until the hand/wrist injury. The question is, will he ever get it back?

You said we should have just left Nick exposed to VGK if we didn't want him. Forgetting the trade, you're saying Nick would have been plucked ahead of Smith and Weegar. My contention is VGK would have jumped on Weegar over the value received from those other two contracts. Tallon's first priority was moving Smith's $5M/5yr contract and likely offering our 1st this year or Marchessault. 30 goal scorer vs a shot in the dark at #10.......easy choice. It was very similar to the Crouse (another goose egg selection by Tallon/Luce) trade for the Yotes taking Bolland. All in all I think Tallon did a good job of moving out a terrible contract to get the reduction of the Viola mandated Cap. He's still over at this point by $2.5M but it's something Viola can live with. Viola is never going to spend to the Cap until he sees the consistency that the team can challenge for the Cup. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hanzel said there was no need to trade Crouse because of the Bolland thing. LTIR only goes into effect after we are Capped out and Savard LTIR was done after one season. It was a good trade. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How excited are you about the season Barkov and Dadonov?

94a39d57-3851-4fb1-9a44-3c33f9f83163.png

Dadonov :biglaugh:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
:laugh: Barkov's smile always makes me think he just farted and just waiting out the victim's reaction.

Also his ET like finger pointing.

Pumped for Friday. Getting my 4K UHD TV and receiver tomorrow.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
its unbelievably inexplicable comments lik this that allow the ownership to get away with stiffing us out of an nhl roster for 24 years. if this was any other market there would be riots after a quarter century without a real team. south floridians just take it. its truly unreal. any excuse to pretend that not signing radulov or trading for someone like him is a good idea. we need superstar scoring for once in our lives. spending the cap one time ever would be a refreshing change. at least we could say they tried. I literally cannot say that phrase for any season of our existence under any ownership. let me simplify this so i dont have to get into painful nuance regarding something this easy. not spending the cap = bad. got it? yay. now we can talk about barkovs awesome shootout moves for hours while we miss the playoffs :)
Terrible terrible comment.. maybe if the fans actually showed up to games the owners. Luke spend more.. honestly the fans don't deserve it at this point.. the team did great 2years ago.. ownership brought in some free agent and the fans still didn't come... look in the mirror

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Terrible terrible comment.. maybe if the fans actually showed up to games the owners. Luke spend more.. honestly the fans don't deserve it at this point.. the team did great 2years ago.. ownership brought in some free agent and the fans still didn't come... look in the mirror

Ah the 'ol "Blame the Fans" argument. People always respect this argument. It's a good one. Always enjoy seeing this one brought out.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Ah the 'ol "Blame the Fans" argument. People always respect this argument. It's a good one. Always enjoy seeing this one brought out.
Keep ignoring reality... that'll help solidify the team down there.. fact is the fans this year or lack there of was pathetic and inexcusable.. the owners aren't a charity there to lose money year over year.. keep u the great attendance and u will have no one to blame but yourselves if the team ever gets moved

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Keep ignoring reality... that'll help solidify the team down there.. fact is the fans this year or lack there of was pathetic and inexcusable.. the owners aren't a charity there to lose money year over year.. keep u the great attendance and u will have no one to blame but yourselves if the team ever gets moved

After nearly 20 years f disappointment people need more than one flash in the pan. When the team is close to the playoffs (like looking they get in) people will show up. These owners betrayed most of the trust and goodwill they earned in their first 3 years when they booted out popular guys (Tallon/Gallant etc) and replaced them with bootlicking idiots who were not only completely unlikable but kept getting support (and still are) even though they have failed miserably . That and ownership has done nothing but lie to fans over the past 16 months so the distrust of them is warranted. It's a cylce as why people don't show up and the owners were close to breaking through but failed there too. Replacing Lukko with Caldwell is one of their biggest blunders.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

In Years of following US Sports, only success and winning bring you more Fans. A few came to see big names, but without real success no chance.
US Sports, always since the 90´s i began following US Sports, has the winning Team mentality. And now to get against the Fans again, doesn´t let you and them not good again.
The only thing they can do hope they find chemistry for more then 1-2 Years, build from there on a team that have success. Fans will come, no one likes to see his Team always loosing. Fans stood out, in Detroit, Philadelphia and anywhere else Teams lost way to often.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if tippett and borgstrom both make the team next year (and bjugstad is moved w/ salary retained) along with barkov, trocheck already down the middle, huberdeau, dadonov should be a solid pickup for us. thats 6 of our top-9. thats why i say get one legit piece. if atkinson makes it to ufa (and assuming he has another great season) go after him, give him the dollars and term (and a ntc if needed). he adds speed, skill, and scoring, is a natural right handed rw, and would give us a strong 7/9 forwards. jvr and nash could also be available but theyre in tier 2. ufa is the only chance to add someone since trade we'd either have to include one of tippett or borgstrom (assuming neither matheson or ekblad get touched either), so really just our 1st plus some other prospects like mascherin, mccann, etc. but with borgstrom and tippett coming in soon, im optimistic. just get rid of bjugstad and add a legit ufa to give us a strong 7 out of 9 forwards (and buy out mac's last year and let malgin be 4th line center).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
if tippett and borgstrom both make the team next year (and bjugstad is moved w/ salary retained) along with barkov, trocheck already down the middle, huberdeau, dadonov should be a solid pickup for us. thats 6 of our top-9. thats why i say get one legit piece. if atkinson makes it to ufa (and assuming he has another great season) go after him, give him the dollars and term (and a ntc if needed). he adds speed, skill, and scoring, is a natural right handed rw, and would give us a strong 7/9 forwards. jvr and nash could also be available but theyre in tier 2. ufa is the only chance to add someone since trade we'd either have to include one of tippett or borgstrom (assuming neither matheson or ekblad get touched either), so really just our 1st plus some other prospects like mascherin, mccann, etc. but with borgstrom and tippett coming in soon, im optimistic. just get rid of bjugstad and add a legit ufa to give us a strong 7 out of 9 forwards (and buy out mac's last year and let malgin be 4th line center).

I would be shocked to see Atkinson make UFA. Even if he does, I doubt he comes to Florida.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I'll say one thing about this year's team: the mood in the locker room has done a complete 180. These guys are going to work their asses off this year. Will that result in a playoff berth? Only time will tell and a lot of unproven pieces need to play to their full potential. But, unlike last season, I guarantee you there will never be a game this year where you're watching and say to yourself, "Shit, they just don't care tonight."

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'll say one thing about this year's team: the mood in the locker room has done a complete 180. These guys are going to work their asses off this year. Will that result in a playoff berth? Only time will tell and a lot of unproven pieces need to play to their full potential. But, unlike last season, I guarantee you there will never be a game this year where you're watching and say to yourself, "****, they just don't care tonight."
Out of curiosity, how was it last year?

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Dmac (C)

Home A:
Yandle
Barkov

Away A:
Ekblad
Trochek

Never thought of Barky as a vocal leader. Of course his on ice skill speaks for itself. Would've thought Huby over him. Whatever. He's my favorite Panther so I'm cool with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad