Line Combos: 2017-2018 Florida Panthers Opening Roster Discussion

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
SUNRISE, Fla. - Florida Panthers President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Dale Tallonannounced today that the club has reduced its training camp roster to 23 players.

Defenseman Josh Brown has been loaned to Florida's American Hockey League affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds.

Additionally, the Panthers have released forwards Brandon Pirri and Harry Zolnierczyk from their PTOs.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Interesting.

So how about those lines? I don't think you want any of McCann, Malgin and Tippett on the fourth line, but there are only spots for two on the second and third line. Unless McGinn is injured (which would sort of explain why Tippett is still there)?

Also still have both Weegar and McCoshen on the D.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
A little surprised Harry Z was released but good Malgin and Brickley making the team.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I happy Pirri was let go. He showed nothing

I would have no minded to keep Harry Z. But I guess Brickley having a good pre-season and having Healey didn't have a spot for him. Wish we could signed him to a two-way deal

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think i sayed already enough about Tippett Situation. My Arguments why he shouldn´t play a single Game.
In the most Season we didn´t make the PO we letting Points pass in the first 10-15 Games.
People still put one single Player development over a whole Season Opening. I have no understanding for it.

I hope for Brown that he get better in the AHL, with his overall Game. Maybe the best surprising development, it looks like Weegar that some Players make some good process.
That Pirri even get an contract for the AHL is a bit surprising.

Beside that the Game Opening Line Combination down from line 1st will be interisting.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So based of that tweet above, ***assuming McGinn is injured***:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov

Malgin - Trocheck - Vrbata

Brickley - Bjugstad - McCann

Haley - Mack - Sceviour

with Tippett in the booth? Where does he fit if not on the first line while sliding Dad down to the 2nd as the LW?

Also curious how the D-pairings will shape up?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Assuming McGinn is McReady for opening night, he’ll slot with Bjugs. Brickley on 4th and Tippett won’t be a regular

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
No one can say me letting Tippett stay as the reserve or 4th Line Player make any Sense. But okay a few game with less then none Icetime why not, better then full Ice time and Top Minutes. Where he could learn play better overall Game and future big Icetime.

Hope for him that he didnt get Injured if he is playing.

I thing the Bjugstad dont fit in the Game, Trocheck and Vrbata playing. I make more sense let Malgin play with them.
All 3 Malgin/trocheck/Vrbata more technical minded i think that will work out.
Brickley with Bjugstad and McCann 2 of them scored the most Goals in the Presason, one of them not.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'm surprised Pirri and HarryZ got released, Springfield could've really used that veteran depth. Maybe they got a better offer from some other team?

So, I assume once Tippett goes back to junior, we will recall Haapala or Mamin.
Or no one, we already have one extra forward (Brickley or Haley I'm guessing) if McGinn is healthy. Weegar can easily fill-in as a forward if there's a back-to-back emergency injury and someone from Springfield won't make it in time.

Mamin makes the most sense since he is still in Springfield
Haapala isn't? o_O

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Enough crying about Tippett.. it didn't hurt draisatl in Edmonton when he was terrible.. it won't destroy or win us the season.. it's a really irrelevant thing for the team that could be very significant for the player..

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Honestly, if they are going to give McTip an honest chance, stick him with Tro and Vrbata.

Actually give him a chance. PP time also.

Then you have the McGinn McBjuger And McCann

Brickley Malgin Sceviour (in a perfect World).

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’m gonna go with this as the opening lineup.
Surprised Tippett made the 23 man roster.

Line 1 LW Huberdeau C Barkov RW Dadonov
Line 2 LW McGinn C Trocheck RW Vrbata
Line 3 LW McCann C Bjugstad RW Tippett
Line 4 LW MacKenzie C Haley RW Sceviour

1st D-Pair LD Yandle RD Pysyk
2nd D-Pair LD Matheson RD Ekblad
3rd D-Pair LD McCoshen RD Petrovic

Goalie's:
Starter: Luongo
Backup: Reimer

Scratched List
LW Malgin