Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fox is for sure impressive, but Kylington is playing in a harder league against pros trying to learn defence. I would expect Fox to shine more, but the amount he is shining relative to his peers is definitely impressive.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Fox is who Kylington fanboys wish Kylington was.

As a Kylington fanboy, that's simply not true. Fox is an elite offensive defenseman, but Kylington has an ability to dominate in all three zones. People just haven't caught on to Kylington's skillset because of his tendency to get caught trying to make plays where there are none - but in actuality Kylington's best skill is his defensive zone escapability. WRT this summer showcase, Erik Brannstrom is who Kylington fanboys wish Kylington was, except Kylington is already a bigger defenseman than Brandstrom with more offensive skill playing bigger minutes in a better league. Basically Erik Branstromm is a poor man's Oliver Kylington, albeit without the negative hype that has followed Kylington since his draft year.

I am stoked to have Fox, Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson, but out of the four if I had to hug one while the others washed away in a trade tsunami, it'd be Kylington... he is the only one of the four who has Norris upside. Even if Fox has more offensive instinct, Valimaki has better size and pedigree, and Andersson is a bit thicker. I would compare Oliver Kylington to Duncan Keith, he has the ability to dominate games the same way. I'm very impressed by the other three, but Kylington can display jaw-dropping ability at times. And I'm not even talking about his skating.

Fox has elite level hockey IQ so he is not far behind though.

Last edited:

robinsonp16

Jan 12, 2017
What do guys see in Curtis Lazar this year? 1st rounder a couple years ago but could be on his last leg if he has another bad year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What do guys see in Curtis Lazar this year? 1st rounder a couple years ago but could be on his last leg if he has another bad year.
Bottom 6 player, as long as he plays with energy, some physicality and well defensively (all of which he shouldn't have a problem doing), he will carve out a decent career.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
As a Kylington fanboy, that's simply not true. Fox is an elite offensive defenseman, but Kylington has an ability to dominate in all three zones. People just haven't caught on to Kylington's skillset because of his tendency to get caught trying to make plays where there are none - but in actuality Kylington's best skill is his defensive zone escapability. WRT this summer showcase, Erik Brannstrom is who Kylington fanboys wish Kylington was, except Kylington is already a bigger defenseman than Brandstrom with more offensive skill playing bigger minutes in a better league. Basically Erik Branstromm is a poor man's Oliver Kylington, albeit without the negative hype that has followed Kylington since his draft year.

I am stoked to have Fox, Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson, but out of the four if I had to hug one while the others washed away in a trade tsunami, it'd be Kylington... he is the only one of the four who has Norris upside. Even if Fox has more offensive instinct, Valimaki has better size and pedigree, and Andersson is a bit thicker. I would compare Oliver Kylington to Duncan Keith, he has the ability to dominate games the same way. I'm very impressed by the other three, but Kylington can display jaw-dropping ability at times. And I'm not even talking about his skating.

Fox has elite level hockey IQ so he is not far behind though.

Kylington is not nearly the well-rounded defenseman that you're already claiming he is. First off, getting pinned in your own zone because you're trying to make a play that doesn't exist doesn't make you somehow innately talented defensively, it means you're poor at making the pass that needs to be made or reading how the play should be executed. Especially considering how good his skating and maneuvering is, there is no reason Kylington should be making bad giveaways in his own end as often as he does.

Calling Erik Brannstrom a poor man's Kylington is even more ridiculous. Simply being younger doesn't make you a worse prospect.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
How much does this kid remind you of Gaudreau's rise? It's almost like a freakin' mirror image except on defence.

Calgary got an exceptional player here.

Only difference is I bet we trade him for a forward prospect or as part of a deal to upgrade our goal.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015

Stumbled across Youtube and found this video.

Surprisingly Tyler Parsons is the only is the only Goalie on this list (video prod. by the NHL Network) who has no pro-expierence yet. Also surprised that Ilya Samsonov didn´t get mentioned. (other 4goalies mentioned: Saros, Forsberg, Raanta, Vasilevskiy)

For those who don´t wanna watch it: (Parsons comes up as #5, so his part is from the start till 1:20)
Gets compared to Jonathan Quick
is apparently in top shape
is loved by the Flames org.​
(I personally wonder howmuch comes from that "if I wasn´t a hockey player I´d be in the Marines- mentality)

Also: 10/10 for Kevin Weekes (host), wish we would have such guys in Austrian/German television. So energetic knows how to use his voice.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
It's not a very insightful list, TBH. Forsberg is mediocre, Raanta is 28 and has more NHL experience than Murray, who's on the Top 10 list, and Parsons, as you say, is a much less experienced prospect than anyone else on the list, making the organising principle behind it unclear.

I agree it would have made more sense to keep it to players who'd be eligible for the Calder next season, which would be my definition of a prospect, and include Samsonov, Shestyorkin, etc.

Also I don't like the constant comparisons to Quick, who's wildly overrated. Relying on flashy 'athletic' saves means you're frequently out of position. I don't think that's fair to Parsons. As for the other comment that constantly gets made about him, that he 'doesn't give up on a puck' and 'wants the puck,' well... that's meaningless. I'd be very concerned if the opposite were the case.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I think he's an average NHL goalie, which is still a valuable player. Just not great, and certainly not top 10 in the league or worth that absurd contract.

Of course, if Parsons becomes an average NHL goalie, he will be a successful pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad