Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Can’t wait to do our prospect rankings this summer.

IMO for our forwards it goes:

Dube
Mangiapagne
Gawdin
Philips
Ruzicka

Not a bad group at all, but no blue chippers for sure. At least Bennett and Chucky are still super young.

IMO it goes

Phillips
Dube
Mangiapane
Foo
Tuulola
Gawdin
Svenningsson
Lindstrom
Karnaukhov
Poirier
Klimchuk
then Ruzicka

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IMO it goes

Phillips
Dube
Mangiapane
Foo
Tuulola
Gawdin
Svenningsson
Lindstrom
Karnaukhov
Poirier
Klimchuk
then Ruzicka

I actually forgot about Foo, he would bump Ruzicka out of my top 5 for sure.

For me, Tuulola is a wild card. I kind of compare him to what Ferland was as a prospect but I think Ferly was a better one at the same age. Ferland was criminally underrated on this board back in the day. I think Tuulola is in top 10 for forwards but he’s out of my top 5.

What criteria do you use to rank your guys?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Phillips, Dube and Mangiapane are the only prospects that I think have realistic top 6 potential.

Foo was pretty damn good in the NHL so maybe he could be a 2nd line winger but I'm not sure, Hathaway was good after coming up from the AHL too.

Gawdin is a complete wildcard but I think if he makes the NHL it's likely in a bottom 6 role.

The rest are all longshots but I'm particularly partial to Svenigsson and maybe Joly.

The D prospects are so much better. But all in all I don't know that are prospect depth is good enough to have given away as many picks over the next few years as Treliving did.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I would agree with you Dack. Phillips, Dube, Mangiapane are the best bets, Foo is a wildcard.

Gawdin I wanna see how he does in the AHL. If he preforms this year he might make me a believer. Joly I really really like what I've seen/read, he's my darkhorse.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What we really notice, is our forward depth in terms of prospects is really, really bad.
Like, our top 3 prospects, I don't know if a forward cracks the list.

I think you have NHL'ers in Foo, Mangiapane and Dube. They need a coach that'll give them the opportunity to succeed. Each guys strikes me as a guy who could make a dent given the chance.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What we really notice, is our forward depth in terms of prospects is really, really bad.

I think you have NHL'ers in Foo, Mangiapane and Dube. They need a coach that'll give them the opportunity to succeed. Each guys strikes me as a guy who could make a dent given the chance.

We have some B quality guys, but yeah, our forward depth is pretty shite. If Parsons has another down year, and neither of Gilles/Rittich takes a step forward in the NHL next year, I'd start worrying about our goaltending again too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I personally think Dube is our #3 prospect.

1. Andersson
2. Valimaki
3. Dube

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I personally think Dube is our #3 prospect.

1. Andersson
2. Valimaki
3. Dube

Yeah, 1-2 is pretty clear between the two euro Ds.

After that, a case can be made for Dube, Parsons, Mangi... like there’s a drop off after the top 2, no question.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Top 5 for me is:

1. Andersson
2. Valimaki
3. Fox
4. Mangiapane
5. Dube

5-7 can be argued in my opinion, but 1-4 are pretty solidified imo

I was hesitant about putting any goalies in my top 5 last summer as I didn't buy into the Gillies hype and wasn't about to rank Parsons there without seeing how he fared in a professional league. After the season all three of our goalie prospects had, I stand by that. They're just not at that level yet.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Top three for me is Valimaki, Fox and Dube. I think Andersson is a very good prospect and a great bet to become a top four defenseman but not on the level of either of the first two guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, 1-2 is pretty clear between the two euro Ds.

After that, a case can be made for Dube, Parsons, Mangi... like there’s a drop off after the top 2, no question.
I am pretty high on Dube, I think he has all the tools, kind of reminds me of a grittier Backlund coming out of Junior.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly an argument for any of Andersson, Valimaki or Fox could be made to be our top guy and I don’t think Oliver is all that far behind them if at all. He’s coming and I think he’ll get a chance to play at some point next season.

The NHL today is a fast game and his speed is such an asset, I still think he’s going to have a solid career.

IMO Valimaki is probably the most impressive all around and he also skates like a deer.

Reactions: snipetype

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly an argument for any of Andersson, Valimaki or Fox could be made to be our top guy and I don’t think Oliver is all that far behind them if at all. He’s coming and I think he’ll get a chance to play at some point next season.

The NHL today is a fast game and his speed is such an asset, I still think he’s going to have a solid career.

IMO Valimaki is probably the most impressive all around and he also skates like a deer.

I agree with the three D.
Juuso has the best complete package. He's a guy who could be an elite 1D in this league; and I'm hoping he gets there.
Fox has the outrageous offensive IQ, could be something really special.
Andersson to me is the most sure-fire. It's hard for us to kind of step back and realize the guy is 21 years old. The way he plays, makes him feel like 24-25.

I think you could rotate Fox/Dube/Parsons/Mangipane pretty easily.

I think Dube's got the best chance of being a regular. The guy just does everything right. Mangi to me could be a Jake Guentzel clone given the opportunity. Like, there was no point having him in the NHL so that he could play 6 minutes a night and Hath could play 13/14 kind of thing. We need to bring these kids up, and give them the chance to succeed. Like it took our roster being decimated by injuries to give someone like Foo a chance and he ran with it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Dube's got the best chance of being a regular. The guy just does everything right. Mangi to me could be a Jake Guentzel clone given the opportunity. Like, there was no point having him in the NHL so that he could play 6 minutes a night and Hath could play 13/14 kind of thing. We need to bring these kids up, and give them the chance to succeed. Like it took our roster being decimated by injuries to give someone like Foo a chance and he ran with it.
These three guys are exactly why I think we can afford to leave two forward spots open in camp. I think at least one of them has staying power if they're given a fair shot, and Peters is apparently really good with developing young players.

Going off of last season:

Gaudreau-Monahan-x
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-x
x-Shore-Brouwer

Obviously, Ferland is going to make the team but Peters definitely made a point by only saying he wouldn't split the Gaudreau-Monahan pairing. That tells me they're obviously looking to upgrade on RW but if they don't find anyone this summer, I think that RW spot and a middle 6 one will be up for grabs in training camp. Ferland will then slot in accordingly based on what happens there

I think this upcoming training camp will the most competitive one in long, long time

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Klimchuk has had back to back solid years and looked good in his NHL debut. Poirier is clearly finished. Klimmer may be meh, but Poirier is hot ****ing garbage

Shinkaruk, Poirier and Klimchuk are three guys I don't see as long-term NHL'ers.
I'm not losing much sleep slotting by anyone slotting any of them above or below each other.

All three guys played 62-65 games, 31-40 points. I agree Klimchuk is the best of the bunch, but yeah, neither guy strikes me as a difference maker. Maybe Klimmer can carve out a dependable 4th liner role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I still have my doubts Mangiapane will ever be a full time nhler personally

Thing is, being good/great in the AHL means very little.
Look at Jankowski. Dominant force in the AHL, All-Star, puck dominant, dangerous.... In the NHL? Depth player.

These guys have to take it upon themselves to elevate their game to the next level.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Thing is, being good/great in the AHL means very little.
Look at Jankowski. Dominant force in the AHL, All-Star, puck dominant, dangerous.... In the NHL? Depth player.

These guys have to take it upon themselves to elevate their game to the next level.
Jankowski is also 2-3 years older than Mangiapane. The younger guys are when they find AHL success the better historically.

Reactions: snipetype

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Jankowski is also 2-3 years older than Mangiapane. The younger guys are when they find AHL success the better historically.

Exactly. His age/production basically guarantees he will be a good NHL player.

Also here’s my top ten prospects:

1. Juuso Valimaki D
2. Rasmus Andersson D
3. Adam Fox D
4. Dillon Dube C/W

5. Andrew Mangiapane W
6. Tyler Parsons G
7. Spencer Foo W
8. Oliver Kylington D
9. Jon Gillies G
10. Glenn Gawdin

HM: Matt Phillips, D’Artanagnan Joly, Eetu Tuulola

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is no guarantee of being a good NHL player, what a f***ing stupid thing to say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad