Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's on a hot streak, I mean he has been playing in the top-6 the previous 2 years and struggled just as much as he did on the 3rd line behind 2 strong lines ones this year...if anything it's come to realization that he can't be the puck driver on his line anymore Point is outshining everybody outside of Kucherov on this team for how much he does for his line mates. Johnson didn't look good playing with Namestnikov/Stamkos despite putting up some points either, he needs an elite puck distributor on this line.

Gourde gets more credit being a threat on his own line, maintaining production away from Point and just a doing a million little things that disrupt the flow of the game for the opponent.

I think they're different player types. Gourde/Johnson, I mean. Johnson is a north-south shooter, so you want him with more creative players.

I feel like we're more balanced now because Gourde and Palat are fairly similar players, or at least they do similar jobs, and I think we're better off having that spread throughout the lineup. Johnson, like you said, needs a creative player with him (Point), and preferably a guy to win puck battles (Palat), so he's very much in a position to succeed. But the fact that he's very much succeeding is a credit to him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
A lot of push for Erne but i'm just not sure he is the missing piece. I also would be completely not shocked if Mitchell Stephens gets his first look. He'll be a massive problem with his footspeed, especially against bottom six types.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of push for Erne but i'm just not sure he is the missing piece. I also would be completely not shocked if Mitchell Stephens gets his first look. He'll be a massive problem with his footspeed, especially against bottom six types.

Given how often he's been called a Callahan clone, it would make a lot of sense.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I can’t figure Erne out at all. When he is at his best he looks like a sure thing and then he disappears for prolonged periods of time and you think he will never make it. I for one am not counting on him but of course I hope I am wrong. I find it hard to believe that Stephens would get the call before Cirelli. Cirelli seems to be the perfect fit for 4th line NHL center.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Based on the Bolts great record and relative health so far, I think Yzerman is going all in with this team for a Cup Run. Not sure he was truly in Cup runs 2 and 3 years ago based on the youth of those teams. I don't believe that another rookie added to this team is the answer. In fact, the development of juniors prospects Howden, Katchouck and Raddysh means we have plenty of young kids in the pipeline to replace older prospects like Cirelli, Erne and Stephens if they are traded. I think Yzerman will add a higher profile veteran (either C or W) who is proficient at face-offs and has a history of play-off performance.

I just don't see our 4th line as scoring adequately to make a successful cup run. Paquette and Callahan cant stay healthy and Kunitz needs someone with shooting ability to get the puck on net so he can clean up in the front of the net. Ideally, we add a #3C vet with size and then bump Gourde to 4th line to center line with Kunitz and whichever of Callahan/Brown/Paquette is healthy.

Reactions: Lightning1995

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vasi in goal for both games of the upcoming back to back? What do you think, guys? Both games at home and Vasi should be fresh after the christmas break.
Budaj has terrible numbers against both teams. Lost all three games he played against Montral with GAA 3,26 and 86,5% saved. Has a shutout against Philly but still only won 2/5 with 2,61 and 88,7%. His latest games haven't been encouraging either. If he lets in 5 against Philly, the team probably won't be able to make up for it. Scoring 6 against the Flyers is difficult. It's possible against Montreal but they're in the same division.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
stephens is very overrated prospect

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Based on the Bolts great record and relative health so far, I think Yzerman is going all in with this team for a Cup Run. Not sure he was truly in Cup runs 2 and 3 years ago based on the youth of those teams. I don't believe that another rookie added to this team is the answer. In fact, the development of juniors prospects Howden, Katchouck and Raddysh means we have plenty of young kids in the pipeline to replace older prospects like Cirelli, Erne and Stephens if they are traded. I think Yzerman will add a higher profile veteran (either C or W) who is proficient at face-offs and has a history of play-off performance.

I just don't see our 4th line as scoring adequately to make a successful cup run. Paquette and Callahan cant stay healthy and Kunitz needs someone with shooting ability to get the puck on net so he can clean up in the front of the net. Ideally, we add a #3C vet with size and then bump Gourde to 4th line to center line with Kunitz and whichever of Callahan/Brown/Paquette is healthy.
I like that idea. I think a healthy Cally is a real asset in the playoffs on the 4th line and PK. He and Kunitz with Gurode would be a VERY formidable 4th line while the new acquisition carries the 3rd line. That said, I would have to think Gurode needs more minutes than Conacker. Maybe flip,those two, have a fantastic 3rd line and let Conacker provide depth on the 4th line.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
cant drive offense, too slow

wont be more than a fourth liner if even

Too slow? Have you even seen him skate before? He's not a burner but his skating isn't one of the things that might hold him back. He doesn't drive the offense I'll give you but not ever player has to, he's a very good complimentary player. He won't be a top 6 player but when he was drafted that wasn't what he was expected to be anyway. He was labeled a top end bottom 6 forward which he is still on course for. Will be a 15-15-30, 200 hits, 50 blocks all effort type player. He's not overrated if your expectations aren't a top 6 player.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He's touted as a prime-Callahan type player. Middle 6 winger who will give his all on every shift. Excellent energy, good skating, great defense and solid hands for a grinder. He will never be a 60 point player but not everybody can be.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Too slow? Have you even seen him skate before? He's not a burner but his skating isn't one of the things that might hold him back. He doesn't drive the offense I'll give you but not ever player has to, he's a very good complimentary player. He won't be a top 6 player but when he was drafted that wasn't what he was expected to be anyway. He was labeled a top end bottom 6 forward which he is still on course for. Will be a 15-15-30, 200 hits, 50 blocks all effort type player. He's not overrated if your expectations aren't a top 6 player.
I will eat my hat if stephens scores 15 goals. I expect more like 5 goals 10 assists, if he even makes it

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I will eat my hat if stephens scores 15 goals. I expect more like 5 goals 10 assists, if he even makes it

If Cedric Paquette can score 12 in a season and was on pace for 15 than Stephens can score 15. He's a better than Paquette in everything but physical play. JT Brown put up over 20 points, he's better than him in every way but speed and fighting. Stephens is a pretty safe bet to be at worst a 20 point 4th liner.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If Cedric Paquette can score 12 in a season and was on pace for 15 than Stephens can score 15. He's a better than Paquette in everything but physical play. JT Brown put up over 20 points, he's better than him in every way but speed and fighting. Stephens is a pretty safe bet to be at worst a 20 point 4th liner.
I don't see any indication that stephens will be better than peak (14-15) paquette.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Paquette was a solid bottom 6 player with scoring ability when he came to the league. Now his offense is pretty much gone. I'd be happy if we'd have 2014-15 Paquette as our 4th line center.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Paquette was a solid bottom 6 player with scoring ability when he came to the league. Now his offense is pretty much gone. I'd be happy if we'd have 2014-15 Paquette as our 4th line center.

You don't score 12 goals without having some scoring ability but he also got to play a lot with Drouin, Killorn and Namestnikov not your typical bottom 6 forwards. He was healthy all that year too which helped him play his best, he was streaky as hell though as he would score all his points in a few games then go on massive dry spells. I can see Stephens having similar production if he's on a 4th line with Cirelli and Jospeph or playing some wing with Gourde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad